Motorcyle crash, 2 killed. Makes my blood boil!

Andras

Ok, few moments to play with numbers here, (bet Im close when the actual results are known.)

this is based on
180 ft total skid
asphalt road surface, (guess on my part)
assumption that only back wheel was skidding on the bike.

now, had the bike actually stopped at the end of that 180ft without hitting the car,

we take the numbers.

Where "S" will equal speed.
C will equal a constant of 30 (just works that way in the equation,, sorta like pie is 3.14)
D will equal distance of the skid
F will be the drag factor of the road
N will be braking efficency based an the assumption of a 70% braking. (100 % would have had the front wheel skidding also.)

so, we take the Square Root of C*D*F*N to get S (S was the speed)

30*180*.75*.70 = 2835
Square Root of 2835 = 53.24

so, based on that, I get 53.24 mph pre braking speed ,, IF the bike would have stopped on its own at the end of the 180 ft. but, it didnt, it had enough speed to hit the car hard enough to create the damage, and to tragically end the lives of the two on the bike.

I just did the same thing, based on the motorcycle braking site just posted.
D=1/2 A t^2
d=180
a=-.46g
t=4.89sec

v=t*a = 72feet per second deceleration under braking (48mph)

so speed was reduced at least 48mph before impact.

beamher

Accidents do happen, but riding since I was 10, racing since 12 and street bikes since I was 17 'ish I am a little sensitive to the issue.

From my experience, the majority of the drivers seem to not watch out for motorcycles.

The AMA has done motor awareness campaigns which has helped reducing auto accidents with MC's, as well as state sponsored training and stiffer requirements for obtaining a MC license.

IMO - I still stand by the AMA's push stiffer penalties when the car is at fault... make examples out of a few and others should see. I just wish our judicial system was like that.

how about being fair and make examples out of some of the riders as well.

Last edited:
Being plastered across some stupid broads car isn't enough of an example for you?

The Yamaha FZ600
Similar tests were conducted with a 1986 Yamaha FZ600. Sadly, two of the bike's front brake pads lost their friction material during testing, resulting in metal-on-metal contact which damaged the front brake rotors and resulted in poor overall stopping performance. The bike was equipped with Metzler street tires.

:yikes: Course that was an 86.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I agree with the post above... I've been around bikes and bikers my entire life and I'd like to think that the ones I know are responsible and alert. UNLIKE the JA who, at dusk, pulled a wheelie through the rte4/Indian bridge intersection.... mind you, he had a green and I had a green from the other direction.... I normally would have had plenty of time to turn but sensed this guy was going to do something stupid and he did. If I would have turned as usual, he would have creamed my starboard side with his wheel in the air. Plenty of witnesses but I'm sure there are those who would assume that I was at fault when I wasn't. Instead of turning, I honked as he set his wheel down beside me and whipped into the parking lot across the street. I would have gone over to let him know he was lucky but it would have fell on deaf ignorant ears... Really wish a cop was there to take this kids bike away but I'm sure he'll do it again and may not be so lucky next time. Next time it may be a 20 something with minimal driving experience....

As far as the accident on Willows.... I'd like to hear from the accident investigators how fast he was going, was his headlight on and were there any skidmarks....

:confused:

sueumore

Sueumore
My thoughts and prayers also go out to both families. No matter who was at fault legally or technically both families are devastated by this event. However, just a tidbit of legal insight for those who are wondering about pulling out in front of someone that is speeding and if it would be their fault or yours. In Maryland we have the "boulevard rule" meaning that the vehicle that is established on the road that you wish to enter has the right of way no matter if they are speeding or not. The driver who pulls out in front of someone that is already traveling on that roadway and is struck is at fault, no matter if the other driver was speeding or not.

bcp

In My Opinion
I just did the same thing, based on the motorcycle braking site just posted.
D=1/2 A t^2
d=180
a=-.46g
t=4.89sec

v=t*a = 72feet per second deceleration under braking (48mph)

so speed was reduced at least 48mph before impact.
interesting.
My method is for cars, I figured it would be close for bikes. does your method take into account road surface types?
just wondering. 5mph difference between the two methods. I would certainly say that your method showing a decrease in speed of 46 mph hour and mine showing 53 and change are close enough to make an uneducated assumption that the bike was not going the speed of 40mph when the driver saw the car.

there is another equation that the police use to get over all speed based on impact data too.

thats why my guess is somewhere around 80 mph before the brakes were applied.

Beta84

They're out to get us
interesting.
My method is for cars, I figured it would be close for bikes. does your method take into account road surface types?
just wondering. 5mph difference between the two methods. I would certainly say that your method showing a decrease in speed of 46 mph hour and mine showing 53 and change are close enough to make an uneducated assumption that the bike was not going the speed of 40mph when the driver saw the car.

there is another equation that the police use to get over all speed based on impact data too.

thats why my guess is somewhere around 80 mph before the brakes were applied.

it would be pretty tough to hit 80 around there. plus the guy wasn't that irresponsible, i really don't see it happening. but who knows, i've been wrong about people before.

it does sorta suck that 2 people died and all you guys can do is play the blame game, especially when you're blaming them. kinda sucks, don't you think? people are already sad about it and you just have to poke the bear and make em feel so much better. Bravo! Well done everyone! :clap:

it does sorta suck that 2 people died and all you guys can do is play the blame game, especially when you're blaming them. kinda sucks, don't you think? people are already sad about it and you just have to poke the bear and make em feel so much better. Bravo! Well done everyone! :clap:

Go back and read the freakin' first post in this thread and just his stuff for starting the freakin' game. The intent and entire purpose of this thread was wrong, wrong, wrong :boo:

it would be pretty tough to hit 80 around there. plus the guy wasn't that irresponsible, i really don't see it happening. but who knows, i've been wrong about people before.

The majority of posters in this thread are saying "wait for the facts" Other discussions have spun off of the OP, just like any other time.

Start at page 1 and get back to us a bit later. :coffee:

bcp

In My Opinion
The majority of posters in this thread are saying "wait for the facts" Other discussions have spun off of the OP, just like any other time.

waiting for the facts was not the intention when the original post put the blame on the driver of the car.

as far as the facts go, All Im saying is that if it is factual that there was a skid mark from the bike that was 180 ft in length before hitting, it would have been a decrease in speed (depending on whos math we look at) of 48 mph, or 53 mph. (physics,, fact) that leaves after that decrease, enough speed to cause the tragic death of two people, and the life long realization that she was involved in the accident for another.

nobody is saying, I bet it was the guy on the motorcycles fault, because thats how they all ride. We are simply putting numbers to information that was given on this thread.

now, even if he was speeding, does that clear all of the blame from the driver of the car without question? no. Now we are back to waiting for the police to come up with a report on the cause, or causes of the accident to see if it was avoidable on either persons part.

bcp

In My Opinion
Too many assumptions bcp. Suppose while you are at it, that the skid mark was from the rear wheel and the front was supplying maximum braking capability. What then?
thats what I was figuring.
I figured it at a roughly 75% braking from the front, leaving the back to go light, Depending on the weight of the riders, that number can change from 70 to well, 100 if the driver can maintain a hard stop on one wheel.

other than that, what assumptions are being made?
the number for the road is correct, the length of the skid is correct as far as this thread goes.
the only real guess is the actual differential between front and back.

Last edited:

Beta84

They're out to get us
Go back and read the freakin' first post in this thread and just his stuff for starting the freakin' game. The intent and entire purpose of this thread was wrong, wrong, wrong :boo:
the first post was a lame way to start, i wasn't arguing that at all. it's just a really crappy thread altogether.

I posted near the beginning, first off. So I've been reading through, since I knew the victims. Second, I know there were plenty of people saying "wait for the facts". Was I criticizing anyone that said that? No. But just because 10 people say "wait" and 5 people say "this person is the guilty party boo hiss" should nothing be said? That's a bad way to look at it.

If you didn't say anything wrong then why do you feel like my post affected you? Why get defensive if you merely said wait for the facts? I was criticizing people who were making a stupid bull#### argument out of an accident that took the lives of two people when there weren't any facts one way or the other. The person who started the thread was making a really poor assumption, but so were the people arguing on it one way or the other (if they tried to point fingers on who was to blame without knowing squat).

That's all. It's not hard. The fact that this thread is still open when other threads get deleted for wandering off topic or random banter is pretty pathetic. Doesn't say much for standards around here. There isn't anything much more insulting than arguing over whether some guy and his wife were at fault for their death because he was potentially speeding on his motorcycle. Or did I wake up in the twilight zone this morning?

bcp

In My Opinion
the first post was a lame way to start, i wasn't arguing that at all. it's just a really crappy thread altogether.
and it set the tone for the rest of the thread.

There isn't anything much more insulting than arguing over whether some guy and his wife were at fault for their death because he was potentially speeding on his motorcycle. Or did I wake up in the twilight zone this morning

nope you didnt wake up in the twilight zone, however, when the first thread totally blames the woman, and calls for serious punishment of her. well, at that point, (since some supposed facts were offered) it was nothing more than to point out that maybe, just maybe this woman is not totally to blame.

I missed the thread where you stuck up for the woman when this all started, I apologize for that.

Seems strange to me that there was like 200 feet of skidmarks from the bike yet the bike still struck with enough force to kill 2 people.

I don't know any of the specifics of this accident and thus can't give an informed opinion about fault. However, generally speaking, motorcycle skid marks aren't as reliable an indication of speed as car skid marks are. So says a MSP accident investigator.

Last edited:
thats what I was figuring.
I figured it at a roughly 75% braking from the front, leaving the back to go light, Depending on the weight of the riders, that number can change from 70 to well, 100 if the driver can maintain a hard stop on one wheel.

other than that, what assumptions are being made?
the number for the road is correct, the length of the skid is correct as far as this thread goes.
the only real guess is the actual differential between front and back.

I hadn't realized you were so thorough, good job.