New Riding Mower

Cub Cadet, Ive had mine for 5 years, and with me and boy #2, your neighbor cutting lawns for 5 years, it has been a workhorse, with very few problems considering the number of lawns that have been cut. Id go to Hugh Gardiner in Faulkner, if you were to purchase a Cubby, youll get excellent service should it ever need any work on it. I dont think its any cheaper buying from TS or some place like Lowes from what Ive seen.

What model do you have? I like the Kawasaki motor that you can get in the CC.

Last edited:
I'm in my 4th season with the Sears GT that you linked to and I have not had any issues with it to date. I take good care of it, but certainly don't baby it at all and it has done well. With the 54" cut and hydro tranny, I can mow my 1.5 acres in just under an hour.

I am leaning towards the GT since it has a gear transmission instead of hydro.

Not 100% sure, but I think I saw the "box Store" JD's at Carroll's last time I was there.

I think you're right, now that you mention it. So maybe you'll get the same level of service from a box store version as the original JD series.

Not 100% sure, but I think I saw the "box Store" JD's at Carroll's last time I was there.

Think you need to get to the 300, 500 series and larger..

But when you get to the utility tractor, those are Yanmar (a GREAT tractor in itself, but it IS a Yanmar, not a JD)

I think you're right, now that you mention it. So maybe you'll get the same level of service from a box store version as the original JD series.

Does JD make one with a gear transmission instead of a hydro?

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Well, if you go to Lowes, they have signs up that their JD products are all covered/ serviced at Carroll's

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Does JD make one with a gear transmission instead of a hydro?

Not sure. I've gotten used to the hydro transmission. It's real handy when you're working around trees and brush where you go forward and back a lot.

I so a post up above about Kawasaki engines.. I think I'd have a lot of faith in one too.

Not sure. I've gotten used to the hydro transmission. It's real handy when you're working around trees and brush where you go forward and back a lot.

I so a post up above about Kawasaki engines.. I think I'd have a lot of faith in one too.

Hydro is nice, but as hilly as my property is, I want a gear transmission because I have no faith that a hydro can stand up to it.

OldHillcrestGuy

What model do you have? I like the Kawasaki motor that you can get in the CC.

Without looking at it my mower is in 1000 series 42 inch cut, but I dont see one exactly like mine looking at the Cub Cadet website. It was $1,500 and with grass catcher came to $2000.

You gotta get some grass outback from what I remember as i drive by, looking at the old tree laying across the whole backyard. :lmao:

Ive cut some hilly places, including sons hill and few others with no problem, but not all time like your yard.

You gotta get some grass outback from what I remember as i drive by, looking at the old tree laying across the whole backyard. :lmao:
I do have grass out back, tons of it compared to 4 years ago.

Don't you love that tree? I had 9 trees cut 18 months ago. Should have had 10 done. That one APPEARED to be alive and well at the time. Noticed last summer that it didn't leaf out well and kept saying "I've gotta get that cut down." Mother nature took care of it for me. Daughter was playing in the backyard when it fell. It came within 10 feet of being property line to property line. It hit NOTHING but a stump when it fell. Thankfully.

Kinda like the dead one by the stormwater pond by your son's place. I messaged him on FB about a year ago asking if he had a saw to cut it down, but never heard anything. Was talking to another neighbor Saturday 2 weeks ago and asked him to take a look at it and cut it down. He called the day after it fell to let me know Mother Nature took care of it. Unfortunately, she didn't send this one away from everything. The top rail of the fence is bent. HOA is going to have to pay to get it fixed. Still have to get the trunk cut off the fence.

Hydro is nice, but as hilly as my property is, I want a gear transmission because I have no faith that a hydro can stand up to it.

You've seen my property. The side hill is probably 30-40* incline, maybe 50' long. I've been using my JD 265 on that since '94, and the previous owner used the very same tractor for years before that. Never had an issue except a belt that stretched and needed to be replaced 2 years ago.

I'll never get another hard geared again.

OldHillcrestGuy

I do have grass out back, tons of it compared to 4 years ago.

Don't you love that tree? I had 9 trees cut 18 months ago. Should have had 10 done. That one APPEARED to be alive and well at the time. Noticed last summer that it didn't leaf out well and kept saying "I've gotta get that cut down." Mother nature took care of it for me. Daughter was playing in the backyard when it fell. It came within 10 feet of being property line to property line. It hit NOTHING but a stump when it fell. Thankfully.

Kinda like the dead one by the stormwater pond by your son's place. I messaged him on FB about a year ago asking if he had a saw to cut it down, but never heard anything. Was talking to another neighbor Saturday 2 weeks ago and asked him to take a look at it and cut it down. He called the day after it fell to let me know Mother Nature took care of it. Unfortunately, she didn't send this one away from everything. The top rail of the fence is bent. HOA is going to have to pay to get it fixed. Still have to get the trunk cut off the fence.

Son had several of his huge trees taken out back in Sept/Oct. there was only one left that didnt get cut, right beside his driveway, was birch tree really good size, it was swarming with bees. They were going to wait till winter to cut it down well Saturdays wind took out the top fourth of the tree, luckily it fell across the road and not in the driveway. I told my DW when the wind was blowing Sat. I was glad he had those big poplar trees cut down.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
And here is how someone describes the Kawasaki Engines on another site.

You have to be careful when you ask what is wrong with "the" Briggs. Kawasaki has enjoyed a (well deserved) excellent reputation as being a commercial grade engine manufacturer (I believe that is all they sell). Briggs has many entry level (non commercial)engines. Their top of the line Vanguard is NOT an entry level engine. Some say it is every bit as good as the best engines out there. I personally have a fair bit of experience with Kawi's (20+ years) and I love em. Many on this site have Vanguards and swear by them. My guess is that your friends are confusing the entry level Briggs (powerbuilt, etc) with the Vanguard.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

My Bradley had a Hydro transmission and the only issue I ever had was in Sub-Zero temps.. Took some doing to get the fluid moving before the tank would move.

So a Hydro transmission linked to a dual Turbo 903 Cummings Diesel.. If you can get that in a tractor, that would be AWESOME!!

Just got the notification that my new Garden Tractor is in. They're assembling it now. Going to leave in an hour and a half and go get it. I'm like a kid waiting for his parents to get up on Christmas morning so he can tear into the gifts.

Time to cut the grass. :yahoo:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Just got the notification that my new Garden Tractor is in. They're assembling it now. Going to leave in an hour and a half and go get it. I'm like a kid waiting for his parents to get up on Christmas morning so he can tear into the gifts.

You seem rather enthused. Hayfever must not be an issue for you.....lucky.

RPMDAD

OK huntr1 i have read the thread twice and don't see it. My curiousity is up what brand and model did you decide to go with??