"No Kill" Animal Shelter?

terbear1225

No, that hasn't been ruled out. What kind of condition might cause the cat not to use the litter box?

we had a female cat that wasn't using the litter box. apparently she had crystals forming in her urinary tract that made it painful for her to go. it didn't take long for her to associate the pain with the litter box so she stopped using it. vet suggested changing her cat food. once it was no longer painful to go, she went back to the box.

might be worth looking into before finding a new home for the kitty.

Loper

Animal Poor!
No, that hasn't been ruled out. What kind of condition might cause the cat not to use the litter box?

There are several medical issues that can cause this type of behavior. Since the cat is older it could be arthritis and having problems getting in and out of the box. Or urinary tract infection.... liver or kidney disease...
I'd take the cat to the vet to make sure everything is ok.

terbear1225

I guess most of you have ever had a very stubborn kid, have you? Perfect little angles for almost everyone on southern MD apparently. :rolleyes:

Don't judge my ability to be a good parent based on a few lines of text I posted on the internet... No where in my initial post does it say what I do to try and discipline the child, how long this has been going on, what we do to try and isolate the cat, etc.

gw, I apologize if I came off like I was judging you or your parental abilities. I DON'T know what efforts you may have made in this situation. I am sure that the decision to give up your pet was not made lightly. We all responded based on the information that was given, without any indication of what if any efforts were made before the decision to give away the animal.

It just really ticks me off when some people (not you) take it to the level of saying "God help (your children)" or "don't have (children)" when something is said that they don't agree with.

estee_shaun

gw, I apologize if I came off like I was judging you or your parental abilities. I DON'T know what efforts you may have made in this situation. I am sure that the decision to give up your pet was not made lightly. We all responded based on the information that was given, without any indication of what if any efforts were made before the decision to give away the animal.

It just really ticks me off when some people (not you) take it to the level of saying "God help (your children)" or "don't have (children)" when something is said that they don't agree with.

:blahblah:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I guess most of you have ever had a very stubborn kid, have you? Perfect little angles for almost everyone on southern MD apparently. :rolleyes:

Yep, that's ME!! FOUR perfect children..

How much money you got? I'd be willing to give you parenting lessons if the money is right..

frequentflier

happy to be living
I was at Tri County on Friday picking up dogs. This couple came in with there own cat to surrender him/her. Guess what his/her name is?

The guy laughed when Tri County asked what his/her name was.

Lucky!

Being an owner surrender, Lucky was probably taken right into *the room*in the back where life ceases to be.

foodcritic

My wife and I have an approx. 11 year old female cat that we unfortunately need to give up. The reason is because we can't seem to get our very young son (18 months) to stop tormenting her. He chases her all over the house, pulls her tail, etc.

She does a great job of putting up with him, but it appears to have caused her some anxiety as she recently started going to the bathroom outside of her litter box. We do our best to keep the boy away from her and have tried a bunch of different litters (even that fancy Cat Attract stuff), but nothing seems to be working. I'll admit that I may be partially to blame for not cleaning the box as often as I should, but there are time when she does it despite the box being completely unused.

Based on the above, we've decided to give her up. We figure it's the only way to get her away from the boy at this point, which should stop stressing her out. The only problem is, we can't find any shelters that will take her due to her age and not plan to euthanize her. That is simply not an option.

So, does anyone know of a "no kill" shelter in Calvert, St. Mary or PG counties that we could take her to? Or, is there another option?

Thanks.

I knew the minute I read your thread that the insults and ugliness was going to start. I have learned that a lot of people on this forum put animals above people. They would save the life of an animal over the life of a person in a heart beat. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. I have animals and take good care of them but if it ever came down to the animal or my child you can bet that animal would be out the door in a heart beat. I care for animals but I love people. I'm sorry you did not get an answer to your question -I do think there is a place in Calvert County but don't know the name. Don't take anything personally and do what you think is best for your family. Maybe one of these people should offer to take your cat if they are so concerned for it.

tes218

I knew the minute I read your thread that the insults and ugliness was going to start. I have learned that a lot of people on this forum put animals above people. They would save the life of an animal over the life of a person in a heart beat. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. I have animals and take good care of them but if it ever came down to the animal or my child you can bet that animal would be out the door in a heart beat. I care for animals but I love people. I'm sorry you did not get an answer to your question -I do think there is a place in Calvert County but don't know the name. Don't take anything personally and do what you think is best for your family. Maybe one of these people should offer to take your cat if they are so concerned for it.

How is a person's life in danger here? The child is not suffering in any way. What was offered were ways that both could co-exist in the same household and that no one knew of any place that will take an 11 year old cat. A suggestion was made to try to find an individual instead of a shelter as that would probably be the only solution to keeping the cat alive. Also suggested was to take the cat to see if a medical condition was causing the cat to stop using the litter box.

Also suggesting that an 18 month old should and could be taught to stop going after the cat is showing concern for the child. If he doesn't learn he doesn't always get his way and there are consequences for his actions from his parents he will learn it sometime, maybe by the bigger kid on the play ground or the police.

SoMDGirl42

I don't want to discuss how to raise your kid, I don't know what help is available, I can't take your cat, and I don't know what problems the cat may have that would cause it to stop using the litter box.

My only suggestion to you would be, if the cat is not declawed, can you put the cat outdoors? I know it's not the most ideal solution, however it might be the best solution for you and your family. At least the cat can continue to get fed and not be put down immediately. Just a suggestion........