"No Kill" Animal Shelter?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I don't want to discuss how to raise your kid, I don't know what help is available, I can't take your cat, and I don't know what problems the cat may have that would cause it to stop using the litter box.

My only suggestion to you would be, if the cat is not declawed, can you put the cat outdoors? I know it's not the most ideal solution, however it might be the best solution for you and your family. At least the cat can continue to get fed and not be put down immediately. Just a suggestion........

Do us all a favor and kill the f'in cat before you let it wander ouside.. If you live in my neighborhood, that may result in your cat's demise quicker than if you took it to a shelter.

What an ignorant suggestion.. now her problem becomes the entire neighborhoods problem.. (no offense, I say this with all good intentions)

belvak

Happy Camper
Have you ruled out that it is not a medical condition causing the cat to do this?

No, that hasn't been ruled out. What kind of condition might cause the cat not to use the litter box?

we had a female cat that wasn't using the litter box. apparently she had crystals forming in her urinary tract that made it painful for her to go. it didn't take long for her to associate the pain with the litter box so she stopped using it. vet suggested changing her cat food. once it was no longer painful to go, she went back to the box.

might be worth looking into before finding a new home for the kitty.

:yeahthat: Our cat started doing this and we found out she had a bladder stone. Had to have it removed and change her diet, and she's been fine ever since!! It's definitely worth a vet check before getting rid of the cat!

L

luckystar

I don't want to discuss how to raise your kid, I don't know what help is available, I can't take your cat, and I don't know what problems the cat may have that would cause it to stop using the litter box.

My only suggestion to you would be, if the cat is not declawed, can you put the cat outdoors? I know it's not the most ideal solution, however it might be the best solution for you and your family. At least the cat can continue to get fed and not be put down immediately. Just a suggestion........

I agree with Itsbob on this one. There are other choices before putting a cat out to roam; the cat could end up roadkill or wildlife dinner in no time. They do happen to make containment fence toppers that are shaped kind of like this though:

|
|--------
| /
| /
| /
|
|

The fence being on the left: the attachment is wide enough so that the cat can't climb around and over. They advertise for them in Cat Fancy, I'm not sure what the brand name is. If you have a healthy kitty bladder and a fairly large fenced in back yard, this might be a suitable route. Unless you're right near a forested area where possums and raccoons can drop in and terrorize/kill your cat. It's really safest to only let your cat outside with proper flea and tick preventative and a leash. Or not at all, but it gets boring sitting around the house.

L

luckystar

Well, the forward slashes are supposed to be spaced away from the pipes with a decreasing distance going down. But apparently the forums thought my spaces were superfluous.

L

luckystar

I :fix: for you!! :buddies:

Dang I should have thought of that. :der:

|
|-----------
|///////////
|/////////
|///////
|
|

Doesn't go all the way to the bottom though. The cat would be able to climb right over it. The purpose is so that the cat climbs under it and can't go any further, and can't reach to the outside edge from the fence and get over that way.