Paranoid America

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
People are more comfortable speaking in their native language. Should everyone be restricted to speaking English on US flights from now on?

PsyOps

Pixelated
vegmom said:
People are more comfortable speaking in their native language. Should everyone be restricted to speaking English on US flights from now on?

I would say be cognizant of where you are and what the circumstances are. I don’t think there is a single Muslim that isn’t aware of our heightened level of alert and how English-speaking Americans are on egg-shells about every Muslim getting on an airplane speaking in their native tongue. Is it too much to ask to give up a little bit of "comfort"?

Given that, Muslims can either observe these facts or ignore them and face certain scrutiny. Do I like this? No! Is it unwarranted? Given the ongoing threat we face, No! Is it profiling by Americans? You bet! Can you really ask Americans, with those towers crashing down still vivid in their minds, to ignore certain things when they get on an airplane? No way!

AA996

Kerad said:
:nono:

That's not the point.

The point is...I guess...that since 9/11, being suspicious of every Muslim on a plane is "natural".

I understand...and I don't argue that.

However....after the Oklahoma City bombing...

Why isn't it just as "natural" to be suspicious of Rednecks in a Ryder truck? Or Rednecks near a federal building?

There are a hell of a lot more Rednecks in America then Muslims.

What should we do about them?

Kerad, I'm going to weigh in here. I am a pilot for the same airline that lost the first airplane into the WTC, as well as having one of ours hit the pentagon. My co-workers were among the very first victims that day. Let me say that we are vigilant for ANY suspicious behavior, from "rednecks" as well as Muslims. This is the precise reason that everyone, myself included, passes through the scrutiny of the TSA at the security checkpoint. However, let me also tell you that, while I can't elaborate, the threat from Muslim extremists is still very real. They are still to this day probing for weaknesses in our security program, we have seen evidence of this on several aircraft. We get briefings every week on the subject, and it's eye-opening sometimes. Again, I am not allowed to elaborate, just trust me on this one...the threat hasn't gone away. Airplanes still seem to be the terrorists' weapon of choice.

You do make a good point, anyone can be a terrorist. However, there is a certain group of people out there that want to see every American dead, and so we view their race/religion with suspicion. It may not be politically correct, but it is correct.

My first and last post on the subject.

Foxhound

Finishing last
So we have a choice. We can avoid "profiling" and be politically correct and let another terrorist attack take the lives of average US Citizens.

Or we can impose a few inconveniences on people who may or may not be sleeper cell citizens (we know how far fetched this is :sarcasm: ) and possibly save a few lives.

I'll bet if a US citizen with Arab heritage would appreciate the inconvenience if it ended up saving their life.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Foxhound said:
So we have a choice. We can avoid "profiling" and be politically correct and let another terrorist attack take the lives of average US Citizens.

Or we can impose a few inconveniences on people who may or may not be sleeper cell citizens (we know how far fetched this is :sarcasm: ) and possibly save a few lives.

I'll bet if a US citizen with Arab heritage would appreciate the inconvenience if it ended up saving their life.

Regardless, the democrats have set the perfect stage for blaming Bush no matter what happens.

R

RadioPatrol

:coffee:

Paranoid America 09-04-2007 09:19 AM Ah, internet tough guy, eh? Let me try. #### off. Yep...I'm a tough guy now, too. ~Kerad

Not Even Close #### ............... Keep Trying - thanks for haveing the balls to sign it :yay:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
CAPPY2609 said:
You do realize that pearl harbor was a valid military target and there was a major war ath the time, and its death toll was only slightly lower than 9/11. Hysteria once again. :blahblah:
But based the one persons ignorance, an entire flight was cancelled. Again, one of my own "beloved" fellow citizens is more likely to kill me and my kid on your way back from the bar than any terrorist will.
:jameo: A flight was canceled OMG: yikes how traumatic that must have been.

FYI, the Japanese attacked Pearl about an hour before they declared war so we nuked them. I'm sure you can find several folks on this board that consider nuking various Muslim nations an appropriate response to 9/11

CAPPY2609

dont be dumb
aps45819 said:

FYI, the Japanese attacked Pearl about an hour before they declared war so we nuked them. I'm sure you can find several folks on this board that consider nuking various Muslim nations an appropriate response to 9/11

Nuking the japanese wasnt retribution for pearl harbor. And it was an attack conducted by a sovereign nation against another sovereign nation. Some on this board believe whats spoon fed to them, and learn some NRA/NASCAR version of world events and history. :coffee:
Flights being cancelled cost money to the taxpayer and to the carrier and can cause schedule disruption across entire national airport networks. Simply based on one persons opinion. If it was this much of an issue, dont you think security would have caught it? One idiot hears arabic and mashes the panic button?

CAPPY2609

dont be dumb
This is like some weird kafka fugue where we are all watching one another, waiting for one of us to step out of line to single them out. I'm sure the soviets lived like this too, never trusting each other for fear of having the authorities called on them for even arbitrary reasons. You are all too happy to hang onto this turd and go down the tubes.... You wont complain until its your turn to be pulled out of a crowd if you fit the new description of the latest boogey man. But you will say "that wont/cant happen to me" right up until they call your name. :coffee:
The govt spooks are doing their jobs, its usually only the screw ups you hear about. Otherwise our guys are doing their thing in quiet, like its supposed to be done. Vigilance is one thing, but it without rationality we become monkeys screaming in the tree tops not knowing only repeating what we hear the others doing.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
CAPPY2609 said:
If it was this much of an issue, dont you think security would have caught it? One idiot hears arabic and mashes the panic button?
If it wasn't an issue the security personnel wouldn't have cancelled the flight. I doubt if a stewardess cancelled it.

PsyOps

Pixelated
aps45819 said:

Conventionally we could overwhelm any of the Arab nations, or all of them. But this is one of the things the left conveniently leaves out of their discussion: The US goes to great lengths to avoid civilian casualties.

I watched a doc on the Military Channel this weekend about the battle for Yusufiyah; a town south of Baghdad. It was a stronghold for insurgents and al Qaeda. In order for elections to go more smoothly in Iraq we knew this area had to be stablized. The battle raged on mostly on rooftops where only a few marines were trying to fight off surrounding insurgents. They realized they had to get off the rooftops to go house to house rooting these guys out. The marines saw some insurgents hole up in a house. They ordered an airstrike on that house. Then they saw a group of insurgents grab a woman and a child into the house. They called off the airstrike. This decision to save these innocet lives could have jeopardized the entire effort to control the town. But they were aimed at saving these innocents' lives. Using special operations tactics they were able to penetrate the house and kill most of the insurgents and capture the rest and save the woman and child.

This is indicative of our military's efforts to avoid civilian casualties. Even when faced with losing the battle they were willing to allow this to happen to avoid their deaths. This is why we don't nuke. We used nukes on Japan to end the war. Analysts predicted the war could go on for years without it. It had the effect we wanted, which was end the war. Japan is a thriving and successful country; perhaps because of our actions. I think it's a valid question to consider such tactics to end any war. But we have shown that we are unwilling to use maximum force for fear of global retribution as a result of mass civilian casualties.

Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt
vegmom said:

When I travel to foreign countries I have to keep a low profile for my own security and safety. I have to watch the clothes that I wear and avoid speaking loudly in public where people may notice my American accent. I have to observe local customs, such as which hand to eat with, not showing the bottom of the shoe, etc. It may be a bit inconvenient to do these things, but it's their country not mine.

So why can't we expect visitors to the US to maintain a low profile? Why are visitors to this country suddenly afforded some right to speak what they want, where they want, and Americans don't have the right to get nervous?

You cannot convince me that the people who fly are so unaware of the security posture here that they think there will be no repercussions from them proudly exhibiting their ethnicity. They could have kept quiet or spoken english and stayed on the plane, but they chose not to. They assumed the risk, and now people feel sorry for them. Great.

Last edited:

Mikeinsmd

aps45819 said:

NO!!! How Neanderthal is that?? :faint: :lalala:

R

RadioPatrol

aps45819 said:

:whistle:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
CAPPY2609 said:
Nuking the japanese wasnt retribution for pearl harbor. And it was an attack conducted by a sovereign nation against another sovereign nation.

You have an EXCELLENT point there. It's kind of hard to see a real deterrent effect when we single out individuals and small organizations.

I think nuking a Muslim lead sovereign nation that actively supports terrorism would go a LONG way to deterring future terrorist acts and would encourage other Muslim nations to clean up their own trash before we need to do it ourselves.

:biggrin:

And for the record, I'm not being sarcastic. Nuke every country that actively supports terrorism against the United States.

R

RadioPatrol

and what about the Middle Eastern Men got caught with explosives in SC last month :smack:

all you #### wads :poke: that whine about profiling ........ but yet again, what racial group turned up doing something illegal near a military base ..........

all you apologists for towel heads every where kiss my :moon:

R

RadioPatrol

Lugnut said:
You have an EXCELLENT point there. It's kind of hard to see a real deterrent effect when we single out individuals and small organizations.

I think nuking a Muslim lead sovereign nation that actively supports terrorism would go a LONG way to deterring future terrorist acts and would encourage other Muslim nations to clean up their own trash before we need to do it ourselves.

:biggrin:

And for the record, I'm not being sarcastic. Nuke every country that actively supports terrorism against the United States.

Koff Koff Syria, Iran, :whistle:

after all we straightened out Kadaffy with out having to drop one bomb, and we know he supported terrorism in Europe and the Middle East for Years

PsyOps

Pixelated
RadioPatrol said:
Koff Koff Syria, Iran, :whistle:

after all we straightened out Kadaffy with out having to drop one bomb, and we know he supported terrorism in Europe and the Middle East for Years

Perhaps that's because Bush had a little chat with him: "Mr. Kadafi we know you have nukes. You have two choices. Now you know if we decide to bomb you to smitherines no one will really care. And now we are in a good position to take care of you one way or another. What d'ya say; you're either wit us or agin us."