pit bulls/rottweilers

SoccerMom2

My puppy did very well. Puppies are so much easier to train. He stays right with by my side when walking. I still use a leash, he just has alot of slack on it. He doesn't realize that he has so much slack. Thats just in case he get a wild hair up his you know what and trys to run. So far I have lucky and he stays right with me. I love him so much. I can't wait to get home just to see his cute face greeting me at the door. That loveable moose.

My Rocco doesn't leave my side or the kids. He gets excited when he see kids playing. He loves kids. Thats the only time he really tries to drag me...lol! My daughter is 2 and she puts the leash on and walks him in the back yard. She yells at him to sit and he does. She think its the coolest thing ever. I can't wait to move and be able to have him with me. It has been 2 years now. I miss him so much.

SoMDGirl42

so true.... but with that said people don't know the difference between the choke and the prong collar. Both are great and are ONLY TRAINING AIDS and not to be used as the dogs regular collar. These collars give corrections and are for this purpose only! BUT if a choke it used in a wrong manor it can and will damage the dogs trachea. A choke give a quick snapping correction. The prong collar on the other hand give a pinching correction all the way around the dogs neck. This does not dig into the dogs skin nor does it pierce the dogs skin. It also provide a "self correction" method for the dog ... if the dog is walking in the heal position and gets a head of the handler and feels the pinching of the collar he/she will most likely come back to the heal on their own. This type of collar does not damage the trachea because it is not meant to choke the dog if used correctly. Neither of these collars should be left on the dogs after training is over so you cut do the risk of the dog being strangled to death if the collar gets caught on something.

STFU

you know you like to be choked, maybe dogs do to lol, lol, lol

mgdbaa

so true.... but with that said people don't know the difference between the choke and the prong collar. Both are great and are ONLY TRAINING AIDS and not to be used as the dogs regular collar. These collars give corrections and are for this purpose only! BUT if a choke it used in a wrong manor it can and will damage the dogs trachea. A choke give a quick snapping correction. The prong collar on the other hand give a pinching correction all the way around the dogs neck. This does not dig into the dogs skin nor does it pierce the dogs skin. It also provide a "self correction" method for the dog ... if the dog is walking in the heal position and gets a head of the handler and feels the pinching of the collar he/she will most likely come back to the heal on their own. This type of collar does not damage the trachea because it is not meant to choke the dog if used correctly. Neither of these collars should be left on the dogs after training is over so you cut do the risk of the dog being strangled to death if the collar gets caught on something.
Right. I do not keep a collar on my puppy while at home. I have a leash that we bought from the k9 store on solomons island that has a draw on it just in case Moose wanted to move away from me. All this talk of dogs makes me miss my moose head more today. It was meant for us to have him. Someone else might have gotten him and trained him to be mean. He is like one of our children. He is spoiled rotten but also listens better then the kids. Ha ha

libby

And the answers you've got are that the problem is in fact with you so what are you still confused about?

OP wants them to be shut-ins
a quote by Cowgirl in response to me OP.

'WTF' is about putting these aforementioned words in my mouth. That is not what it means to give an opinon. I said nothing of this sort and it's these kinds of leaps that get all communications, either verbal or written, into a big row.
Comprendo??

mgdbaa

'WTF' is about putting these aforementioned words in my mouth. That is not what it means to give an opinon. I said nothing of this sort and it's these kinds of leaps that get all communications, either verbal or written, into a big row.
Comprendo??
Thats what happens when you post on somd.com. You can talk about how pretty the sunset was and someone will eventually tare you to down. I am sure I mispelled that. Someone will correct me sooner or later.

UncleBacon

libby....being a protective parent is good and it sounds like you're doing a good job...before you fear the dogs though you should take a little time to learn about them...people fear what they don't know....

libby

libby....being a protective parent is good and it sounds like you're doing a good job...before you fear the dogs though you should take a little time to learn about them...people fear what they don't know....

But I do recognize there is a balance to be struck within a society. I can't have it all my way.
It's good when we all learn how the other feels about it, have the empathy to understand why, and perhaps even adjust our own behavior accordingly.

UncleBacon

society has painted a bad picture about several breeds of dogs because of people like michael vick and the countless others that abuse and don't take good care of their pets...once you learn a little more and maybe see with your own eyes that they're not the nasty mean dogs that they have been portrayed to be you'll be able to be at a little more ease when you see one in the park

mgdbaa

society has painted a bad picture about several breeds of dogs because of people like michael vick and the countless others that abuse and don't take good care of their pets...once you learn a little more and maybe see with your own eyes that they're not the nasty mean dogs that they have been portrayed to be you'll be able to be at a little more ease when you see one in the park
Very true. I was going to say that a while ago, but I figured someone would say I was a racist. So I just waited for someone else to say it. However he is correct. Just like people. If parents teach their kids bad they will be bad.

mizteresa1965

My daughter has a female pitbull..........and she is the sweetest animal, but a little on the dumb side because she is deaf. But so sweet!

morningbell

hmmmmmm

I wouldn't mess with a pit from "the Park", those are the ones you see being walked on chains.... people just think it's cool to have them, it's part of the thug life mentality. And when they're taken away and put down or rehabilitated people like us adopt them, raise and train them properly.

It's not fair that there are so many good dogs out there and that get destroyed every year. I'm so sick of it.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
There is a saying, don't punish the breed, punish the deed. I can agree with that. I've raised, trained, judged and loved Rotties for over 30 years. I've imported my stock from Italy, Germany, Russia and England. I can state with authority, that some dogs are naturally more defensive with higher prey drive than others within the same breed. It's genetic. I preferred the soft temperamented animals (from England) because ours are family pets first and foremost. I eliminated those from my breeding program who didn't meet that criteria and placed them accordingly therefore my most common complaint among owners was....FiFi (from my kennel) would show a burgler where the silver is as long as they gave her a treat or a pat on the head....

I'd recommend educating your kids about dog behavior in general, as in how to watch body posturing, etc. and don't punish a breed, punish a deed. An aggressive dog is an aggressive dog regardless of it's breed.

Last edited:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones

Comprendo??

What other logical conclusion was anyone suppose to come to when more than once you've expressed that you believe that these types of dogs should not be taken to the park. Your posts brought that view of your opinion. Comprendo?