[Rant] Every Day...

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
:howdy:

I'm one of those jerks that uses lane 3 to go through the intersection. Why stack up 20+ deep in lane 2 when I can use that lane as it is intended?

:howdy:I'm one of those jerks who see 20+ people in the 3rd lane during rush hour who will all be trying to either merge nicely or forcefully merge into an already full lane.

I know it's going to end shortly after I get through the intersection - so I get into either the center or left lane.

That's the part that makes no sense. It shouldn't.

It encourages a-hole moves.

I think it would make a lot more sense to have two dedicated right turns onto Rte 4. Dedicated as in a divider as far back as the light at Giant. I rarely see more than 8 cars using that lane to go straight up 235, but see a bunch of people using it to get ahead of a bunch of cars to merge over to the right go get on 4.

:howdy:I'm one of those jerks who see 20+ people in the 3rd lane during rush hour who will all be trying to either merge nicely or forcefully merge into an already full lane.

I know it's going to end shortly after I get through the intersection - so I get into either the center or left lane.

I probably don't see a bunch because I don't go that way during rush hour.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
I think it would make a lot more sense to have two dedicated right turns onto Rte 4. Dedicated as in a divider as far back as the light at Giant. I rarely see more than 8 cars using that lane to go straight up 235, but see a bunch of people using it to get ahead of a bunch of cars to merge over to the right go get on 4.

Excellent idea.

red_explorer

Ahem...

You had plenty of time to merge over beforehand.

Photo: Massive Douchebags

Stop endangering everyone around you, every day, so you can get home 3 minutes sooner.

That is all.

What I love...is the people at that intersection...who go past the right turn lane and ramp, slam on their brakes at the light and turn right onto rt 4 just to avoid the ramp...thats caused some nasty accidents...

sm8

Since the people of St. Mary's are so good at merging they changed the light at Charlotte Hall library. Now you have to worry about being run into the back of when you are turning into the library.

Chestr

:howdy:

I'm one of those jerks that uses lane 3 to go through the intersection. Why stack up 20+ deep in lane 2 when I can use that lane as it is intended?

Because when you merge at the last minute, it makes all the CONSIDERATE drivers have to slow to 20mph and try not to be HAVE AN ACCIDENT with people like YOU.

If you would have merged 1500ft to 1 mile before, traffic for the "honest folks" wouldn't have slowed down.

If I'm lucky enough to catch you there, I won't let you merge over. I'll make sure you come to a complete stop before the land ends. I simply block people trying to merge from that lane - every day.

How bout them apples? *GRIN*

I am prepared for the ensuing rage, but at the same time, I know there are people reading this that will giggle like little school girls.

:popcorn:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Because when you merge at the last minute, it makes all the CONSIDERATE drivers have to slow to 20mph and try not to be HAVE AN ACCIDENT with people like YOU.

If you would have merged 1500ft to 1 mile before, traffic for the "honest folks" wouldn't have slowed down.

If I'm lucky enough to catch you there, I won't let you merge over. I'll make sure you come to a complete stop before the land ends. I simply block people trying to merge from that lane - every day.

I am prepared for the ensuing rage, but at the same time, I know there are people reading this that will giggle like little school girls.

She's obeying the law. You are not. You'll get ticketed for aggressive driving, and she'll honk and wave as she takes her law abiding self on down the road.

How about them apples?

Why would you merge a mile before the merge point? Kind of dumb.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Do what you need to do. I don't wait until the last possible minute to merge, I do so as quickly as I can.

I like apples, I think I'll make a pie. No pie for you!

bachnersd

Another perspective Chestr...

Legal doesn't mean considerate. Legal doesn't mean respectful. Legal DEFINITELY doesn't even mean SAFE.

"Appropriate" doesn't mean racing ahead through the right lane at 2x the speed of the other drivers, until the last possible minute, and since your car is 15 feet long, you can go ahead and FORCE yourself over (because you have to, now that you're going 60mph and the lane ends in 20 more feet) into a gap that is 16 feet long.

I'm sorry.

"Appropriate" is coming in off the bridge, westbound, turning right, and using the damn lane for what it should be used for, but those people can't, because the speed racers coming northbound are using it for their cut-off game.

Again, everybody knows why they do it. Everybody knows they could alternately be good drivers and merge sooner. Everybody knows the behavior SO much, as a matter of fact, that everybody is already on the lookout beforehand, because they know the #######s will be trying to pull their #### every day.

Chestr, there are few cars that turn right off of route 4 and drive north on 235; a long merge lane just for those few cars isn't practical.

I think we could agree on this. If you added up the total length of cars on 235 at "rush hour", that length would be greater than the total length of road (all thru lanes only) available. Hence, this situation causes back ups.

The right most thru lane at that intersection is there to help reduce the back up at the light. It doesn't work because a lot of drivers must think like you, and don't use the lane. And you all get pissed because others are using it as intended. And merging is a standard technique you should have mastered. You don't have to slow down to "20 mph". You simply have to possess some common courtesy, as does the person merging from the right. A turn signal clearly SIGNALS intent to merge. And as a fully alert driver, which I assume you are, you should be aware of the merge situation and allow the merge.

This really boils down to common courtesy on all drivers parts. Both those that choose to use the lane as intended, and those that choose not to use the lane.

BlueBird

Not enough road + Too many drivers all driving to the same location at the same time and everyone can't wait to get home is the problem here.

Solution: Build bigger bridge with more lanes leading to bigger bridge with more lanes, or move south of the base....

Most of the people compaining about drivers on 235 I honestly believe would have their head explode if they had to drive I-270 or I-495 between 95 & Legion Bridge during rush hour (6 am-10 am or 2:00-7:00 pm). Or the LA or Atlanta traffic. All of these are worse than 235 only with 1000s more cars. Yes, the traffic sucks around the base. That's what happens when you work on a peninsula with only 2 roads heading north and thousands of people get off work at roughly the same time.

bilbur

She's obeying the law. You are not. You'll get ticketed for aggressive driving, and she'll honk and wave as she takes her law abiding self on down the road.

How about them apples?

Why would you merge a mile before the merge point? Kind of dumb.

Actually it sounds as if you don't understand the concept of merging. If a person is already in a lane and you want to enter that lane it is up to that person if they want to slow down to let you in. There is no obligation to let you merge and therein lies the problem. Too many people do not understand this concept and therefore do not know how to merge properly.

BernieP

Resident PIA
There are three through lanes there. The intersection was designed to use those three lanes. The merge isn't until well after the light. What they are doing is legal and appropriate.

Tell me, if that lane is not meant to be used why is it there? Why this thought that everyone should merge well before the merge point? There is no sign requiring it. There is no law requiring it. There is no suggestion in the MD drivers manual.

With all the blatant and dangerous illegal driving I see every day, this is an example of WGAF?

I guess the OP wants people to line up in the left lane like they do the right hand TURN lane - a mile before the intersection.

Now that's dangerous. If you aren't familiar with the "practice" one would assume they would get into the turn lane shortly before they were turning and slow down. They may not account for the "mergers" and those who are using it as an express VIP lane - doing 60 MPH.

Same could be said of inbound traffic to gate 1 in the AM.

People ride the left lane, it backs up for a mile or more because everybody has to stay left, even with 2 left turn lanes. Then when they get to the turn they go for any of the four "chutes". Watched a F-250 cross my bow today to get into the lane closests to the Pass office.

If people would move, traffic can merge. 3 lanes allows more cars to get thru the light. If fewer cars get thru that light, they then pile up back thru the first colony light and the ripple effect causes problems all the way down 235 as volume increases.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
If I stay in the douchebag lane I can make a right onto Rt 4 without having to wait in the turn lane that nobody will let me in.

j/k