Restaurants...

BernieP

Resident PIA
The problem with most of the local (Mom & Pop) places is consistency, both in service and quality. They see a lot of turnover in staff.

The other problem you will find is that one persons idea of GREAT is cheap and plentiful food while others prefer service and quality.

IMHO Monterey is dreadful, it's bland and dry. It's slapped on a plate and microwaved. It's quick and cheap. Fill up on the chips and salsa. Salsa in Leonardtown might be a little better but not by much.

Only one place to go for Chinese food - Solomons to China Harbor. Forget the rest.

Try Blue Wind or Coffee Quarter. Both local, fresh made stuff.

For a step up in price, Chef's American Bistro in San Souci Center

In Solomons try CD Cafe, Dry Dock or DiGiovoni's or go north to Ruddy Duck - best pizza and beer in the area

For the best burger, it's a chain, Ruby Tuesdays. Get a burger and a salad bar. It's a chain but service is typically good and the food consistent.

If you want Mexican (or Southwest), drive to Annapolis and hit Chevy's or simply go to MexDonalds (Chipolte)

Try Nikkos in St. Mary's Square for lunch and get a gyro - very good. As mom & pop as it gets.

Sorry, Lindas isn't good, it's just cheap.

Doh Dah is okay, just sometimes you get the idea the staff might have fried their brain in the 60s.

sockgirl77

The problem with most of the local (Mom & Pop) places is consistency, both in service and quality. They see a lot of turnover in staff.

The other problem you will find is that one persons idea of GREAT is cheap and plentiful food while others prefer service and quality.

IMHO Monterey is dreadful, it's bland and dry. It's slapped on a plate and microwaved. It's quick and cheap. Fill up on the chips and salsa. Salsa in Leonardtown might be a little better but not by much.

Only one place to go for Chinese food - Solomons to China Harbor. Forget the rest.

In Solomons try CD Cafe, Dry Dock or DiGiovoni's or go north to Ruddy Duck - best pizza and beer in the area

For the best burger, it's a chain, Ruby Tuesdays. Get a burger and a salad bar. It's a chain but service is typically good and the food consistent.

If you want Mexican (or Southwest), drive to Annapolis and hit Chevy's or simply go to MexDonalds (Chipolte)

Try Nikkos in St. Mary's Square for lunch and get a gyro - very good. As mom & pop as it gets.

Doh Dah is okay, just sometimes you get the idea the staff might have fried their brain in the 60s.

I'll have to really disagree about Monterey's. But I really do have to agree with Linda's. I think the food is disgusting. I also HATE that you have to walk thru the kitchen to get to the bathroom. Customers should not be allowed to walk near the kitchen. I've seen some really nasty people in there.

red_explorer

Scheibles

I love Scheibles down in Ridge. Also Spinnakers is under new managers as of this summer, and really stepped up their quality. Bear Creek in Callaway is always great!!! Lenny's- love it! Way better than Outback, and less expensive.

ShyGirl

If you are heading up toward LaPlata, check out the Prime Street Grill or Casey Jones.

Chef's American Bistro is always a favorite.

Clark's Landing is also good.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'll have to really disagree about Monterey's.
YOu need to try a good Southwest / TexMex / Mexican restaurant. Problem is we don't have on in the nearby.

I love Scheibles down in Ridge. Also Spinnakers is under new managers as of this summer, and really stepped up their quality. Bear Creek in Callaway is always great!!! Lenny's- love it! Way better than Outback, and less expensive.

Spinnakers hasn't been the same since Chef Spin gave it up.

Lenny's is not better then Outback and I'm not an Outback fan. You get what you pay for. If inexpensive, if you like a lower quality piece of beef, then Lenny's is fine.

J

jp2854

i think spinnakers is only open now weds-sun. I am not sure of what there hours are either as they cut them back as they haven't been busy.

Jameo

What?!
It's not a restaurant, but Chaptico Market makes the BEST fried chicken. EVER. :yum:

I was in there a few weeks ago just to get some chicken and tater wedges. I ate 1 damn chicken leg and threw the rest away. I was :cussing: Maybe it was just a bad batch or something. There chicken normal is the bomb.

morningbell

hmmmmmm

I make better Lumpia then that place.

I forgot about Blue Wind Gourmet! I love that they use local and corn based biodegradable utensils/plates.
I must say Coffee Quarter has been going down hill. The past 5 times I stopped to get a Basil Tomazza they either didn't have basil, tomatoes or both and once they didn't have the ciabatta bread.... what's happening with that?

The thing with the Do Dah Deli.... it's the theme.... The name is taken from a Grateful Dead song, in addition they are smart business minded women that run that place. You get a good size portion for what you pay for and it's fresh but if you happen to not like Deli food then you're simply not going to enjoy it.

sockgirl77

Laredo's in White Plains. Good mexican food and they have a great steak.

Growing up I went there every year for my birthday. I loved their food. I went there about 7 or 8 years ago and they had duct tape over holes in their seats.

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!
Growing up I went there every year for my birthday. I loved their food. I went there about 7 or 8 years ago and they had duct tape over holes in their seats.

But it is still good food. Its been about a year since I've been there though.