Running With Scissors

Nanny Pam

Nanny Pam said:
They are doing the play in Rehoboth soon. I'm definately going.

A quote from Amazon.com......
Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
"I say vagina because I want people to respond," says playwright Eve Ensler, creator of the hilarious, disturbing soliloquies in The Vagina Monologues, a book based on her one-woman play. And respond they do--with horror, anger, censure, and sparks of wonder and pleasure. Ensler is on a fervent mission to elevate and celebrate this much mumbled-about body part. She asked hundreds of women of all ages a series of questions about their vaginas (What do you call it? How would you dress it?) that prompt some wondrous answers. Standouts among the euphemisms are tamale, split knish, choochi snorcher, Gladys Siegelman--Gladys Siegelman?--and, of course, that old standby "down there." "Down there?" asks a composite character springing from several older women. "I haven't been down there since 1953. No, it had nothing to do with [American president] Eisenhower." Two of the most powerful pieces include a jagged poem stitched together from the memories of a Bosnian woman raped by soldiers and an American woman sexually abused as a child who reclaims her vagina as a place of wild joy. --This text refers to the Paperback edition.

Product Description:
A poignant and hilarious tour of the last frontier, the ultimate forbidden zone, The Vagina Monologues is a celebration of female sexuality in all its complexity and mystery. Hailed as the bible for a new generation of women, it has been performed in cities all across America and at hundreds of college campuses, and has inspired a dynamic grassroots movement--V-Day--to stop violence against women. Witty and irreverent, compassionate and wise, Eve Ensler's Obie Award-winning masterpiece gives voice to real women's deepest fantasies and fears, guaranteeing that no one who reads it will ever look at a woman's body, or think of sex, in quite the same way again.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Nanny Pam said:
They are doing the play in Rehoboth soon. I'm definately going.
When? I think this would be a good, educational thing for DQ to see, since her daddy got her the intro book. :yay:

:killingme j/k

Christy

b*tch rocket
RoseRed said:
My sister has it and said it is great, I get to borrow it when she is done with it. :biggrin:
:yay: You'll have to then pick up "Dry" and "Magical Thinking". I could read his books over and over. (and do)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Horrifying. Just when you think these freaks can't get any more dysfunctional, they do. About midway through the book I started to get on here and tell Christy that she needed psychiatric care for recommending this book. Unfortunately, it's also very absorbing and I couldn't put it down long enough to tell Christy what I thought of her book choices. :lol:

It's like some heart-stopping picture that Bogart or BigSlam might post a link to in here (because it's unsuitable for public posting). You look; gasp and close your browser; reopen your browser and take another look, prepared for it this time; close your browser again in a fit of squeamishness; then look again, much longer this time; and just keep doing that until you're desensitized enough to explore the picture in all it's vivid goriness.

So I'll recommend this book, too, but not for the faint at heart. This is dark humor at its finest. :yay:

K

Kizzy

vraiblonde said:
Horrifying. Just when you think these freaks can't get any more dysfunctional, they do. About midway through the book I started to get on here and tell Christy that she needed psychiatric care for recommending this book. Unfortunately, it's also very absorbing and I couldn't put it down long enough to tell Christy what I thought of her book choices. :lol:

It's like some heart-stopping picture that Bogart or BigSlam might post a link to in here (because it's unsuitable for public posting). You look; gasp and close your browser; reopen your browser and take another look, prepared for it this time; close your browser again in a fit of squeamishness; then look again, much longer this time; and just keep doing that until you're desensitized enough to explore the picture in all it's vivid goriness.

So I'll recommend this book, too, but not for the faint at heart. This is dark humor at its finest. :yay:

You think we should tell her about "Exit to Eden." :twitch: :lol:

Christy

b*tch rocket
vraiblonde said:

:lol: Oh just admit it, the chapter titled "here Kitty Kitty" had you in stitches didn't it? :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Christy said:
:lol: Oh just admit it, the chapter titled "here Kitty Kitty" had you in stitches didn't it? :lol:
Yes, but my favorite was the fortune-telling turds. :lmao: I hate it that I laughed out loud while reading that chapter. :mad:

SmallTown

Football season!
:shrug:

Attachments

• scissors.gif
    scissors.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 125

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SmallTown said:
why do you say that?
Because you seem like the kind of person who might enjoy a book about a gay 13 year old with a 30 year old co-dependent lover who sings "You Light Up My Life" at a mental institution (the kid, not the lover). :lol:

No, seriously - because you seem like the kind of person who would be interested in a book where the shrink thinks God is speaking to him through his bowel movements and scoops the turds out of the toilet so they can dry on the picnic table and be kept for further analyzation. :lol:

No, really - because the book is pretty twisted and you seem like a person who likes twisted things. :angel:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I thought "Dry" was better, if only because I didn't spend the majority of the book asking myself "Is this dude for real?" :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nickel said:
I thought "Dry" was better
:yeahthat: I just finished it and was genuinely sorry when I got to the last page. I want to email the author and see how he's doing.

Good picks, Christy - any more you want to recommend?

Christy

b*tch rocket
Nickel said:
I thought "Dry" was better, if only because I didn't spend the majority of the book asking myself "Is this dude for real?" :lol:
I thought Running with scissors was funnier, but Dry was a good follow on book into his adulthood. I think I've read Dry like three times already, it's that good. :yay:

It's a very realistic book on alcholism.

Christy

b*tch rocket
vraiblonde said:
Good picks, Christy - any more you want to recommend?
I'm reading Ann Coulter's book "Treason". I've had it forever, just never got around to reading it. The myth of "McArthyism" she discusses is pretty interesting. :shrug: Angels and Demons is a good book. I liked it better than the Davinci Code.

somdcrab

vraiblonde said:
Because you seem like the kind of person who might enjoy a book about a gay 13 year old with a 30 year old co-dependent lover who sings "You Light Up My Life" at a mental institution (the kid, not the lover). :lol:

No, seriously - because you seem like the kind of person who would be interested in a book where the shrink thinks God is speaking to him through his bowel movements and scoops the turds out of the toilet so they can dry on the picnic table and be kept for further analyzation. :lol:

No, really - because the book is pretty twisted and you seem like a person who likes twisted things. :angel:
:yikes: wtf???? i need a life i just read the "broker" grishams new book and thought it was good