Running With Scissors

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Christy said:
I'm reading Ann Coulter's book "Treason".
I got that for the middle daughter for Christmas and read it after her. Get the two Tammy Bruce books - I GUARANTEE you'll love them. I swear I'm going queer for her. :notworthy

It's funny because I love Michael Crichton, but it never occurred to me to want to write him a fan letter. But I might write one to Augusten Burroughs if I knew what to say other than something retarded :lol:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I read the book and :lmao:

Saw in the Parade today that they are making a movie of Running With Scissors, I can't wait!!!

I still want to read the rest of his books.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
barncat said:
The David Sedaris collection is better then Running With Scissors.
I love those too! When Christy first told me about Running With Scissors, I was actually reading "Me Talk Pretty One Day". The chapter about his brother who curses too much was hilarious. :lol:

K

Kizzy

Ricky Racer said:
Personally I thought the book sucked, But then again if someone isn't getting killed by page 50 or so , it's hits the trash can. :twitch:

:lol: I finished the book, FINALLY. I stayed with it after the point we talked about and it was rather good after that. I was cracking up over the turd thing too, and for some reason, the Christmas tree in May had me rolling.

BTW, this past week, I finished all 4 of the books I had started and never finished.

It sounds like reading "Dry" is worth it as well, so I think I'll make use of the library for a change.

And Barncat,

Could you give some details about what you recommended?

K

Kizzy

vraiblonde said:
Because you seem like the kind of person who might enjoy a book about a gay 13 year old with a 30 year old co-dependent lover who sings "You Light Up My Life" at a mental institution (the kid, not the lover). :lol:

^ that is what bothered me. Not the gay thing, that I can handle, it was the age difference and he was more like 34. All I thought when reading that was this guy is raping a child. It urked me in a way.

Also, you mentioned wanting to contact the author. I just finished reading A Child called "It" and the book that follows that story The Lost Boy.

I have never had the desire to want to contact an author, but David Pelzer, has lived thru hell. It left a bunch of unanswered questions, that maybe I'll find the answers to if I do a little Internet surfing. If not, I think it will bug me until I break down and send the author an e-mail.

sunflower

Loving My Life...
Kizzy Also said:
A Child called "It"[/i] and the book that follows that story The Lost Boy.

I have never had the desire to want to contact an author, but David Pelzer, has lived thru hell. It left a bunch of unanswered questions, that maybe I'll find the answers to if I do a little Internet surfing. If not, I think it will bug me until I break down and send the author an e-mail.
:yay: Great books. And your right about the unanswered questions.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Kizzy said:
Also, you mentioned wanting to contact the author. I just finished reading A Child called "It" and the book that follows that story The Lost Boy.
He has another book, "A Man Named Dave", and I believe he's publishing yet another one. I've heard that they are very intense and disturbing books. I know they're wonderful, but I don't think I'm strong enough to read them.

sunflower

Loving My Life...
Nickel said:
He has another book, "A Man Named Dave", and I believe he's publishing yet another one. I've heard that they are very intense and disturbing books. I know they're wonderful, but I don't think I'm strong enough to read them.
Looking forward to reading this one as well. Yes very intense and disturbing books. I still can't understand how a parent would treat a child like that.

K

Kizzy

sunflower said:
Looking forward to reading this one as well. Yes very intense and disturbing books. I still can't understand how a parent would treat a child like that.

One of my unanswered questions was that he ran into Russell, one of his brothers, and mentioned the marks and behavior he witnessed. He never comes out and says for sure, just that he had a hunch, but the reader can clearly pick up that his mother found another child to beat on. I read some of the reviews on the book today, so you can go to Amazon and do the same thing. I think the 3rd or 4th one down is written like a book report and gives a great deal of information. It also says there was a shocking secret revealed. Now, I HAVE to find out if that secrets is what offers the answers for a mother to single out a child to do such a thing, or if it was confirmed that Russell was indeed beaten and treated as he once was, replaced, so to speak, to satisfy her Psychopath rage. The book is not for the faint at heart.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Kizzy said:
One of my unanswered questions was that he ran into Russell, one of his brothers, and mentioned the marks and behavior he witnessed. He never comes out and says for sure, just that he had a hunch, but the reader can clearly pick up that his mother found another child to beat on. I read some of the reviews on the book today, so you can go to Amazon and do the same thing. I think the 3rd or 4th one down is written like a book report and gives a great deal of information. It also says there was a shocking secret revealed. Now, I HAVE to find out if that secrets is what offers the answers for a mother to single out a child to do such a thing, or if it was confirmed that Russell was indeed beaten and treated as he once was, replaced, so to speak, to satisfy her Psychopath rage. The book is not for the faint at heart.
His brother just wrote a book and I just read it, but can't remember the name of it. The original brother was replaced by the next brother and beat as bad, but the book is not as disturbing as the others. He doesn't say how it ended, how he got out or if he did. Not as disturbing as the other books.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My new book is "Foop!" by Chris Genoa. So far it's pretty good - I'm about a third of the way through. Funny as hell - it's about time-travel, but not technical at all. The way this guy writes reminds me of Augusten Burroughs.

K

Kizzy

sunflower said:
I just got David Pelzer's other book "A Man Named Dave' Looking forward to sitting down and reading it soon.

I'm about 1/2 way into this book. I think it is better than the 1st book. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
I totally enjoyed this book and wished I had "Dry" on hand as I hit the last page so that I could continue. I read the 1st half on the way to Canada and then finished it on the way home. It was :twitch: :yikes: and :roflmao: all in one book. :yay: :yay:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :huggy: I mostly :twitch: 'd throughout it but it did have its interesting moments. The author had one strange childhood. :lol: