So how did a Islamic mosque get into Calvert County (Southern Maryland Islamic Center)?

steppinthrax

That mosque has been there since the 80s. The story I heard from a muslim friend is that one of the Calvert hospital doctors operated on Saddams uncle and received a donation in return. Before they built the mosque, they were praying in the back of a convenience store. I don't think the folks from the PF mosque have ever been out converting people. Just a couple of doctors and businessmen who want to have a place to pray.

That's an interesting point you make. I always see Jehovah witness stands on the bus stop etc... Plenty of literature in various languages. I never see such stands for Islam, yet people do convert.

steppinthrax

Why do you want to exclude the black churches? I haven't heard of any of them being vandalized. There are three in my immediate neighborhood.

The previous person indicated that all other churches somehow were being vandalized. However, as you indicated, this is not happening. Just with the Islamic center.

BernieP

Resident PIA
??? Left field much? The center has been there for quite a long time. And so what of it?

I've seen this thread for several days without bothering to read it, read the OP and all I could do was shake my head.
The two comments following sum it up, that would be yours and the next. I'm not a native, but have been driving Rt 4 for a while, and it's not new construction.
Never thought much of it because the last time I looked the constitution gave us the freedom to publically worship how we saw fit, without government permission.
I believe that's what was meant by Freedom of religion and shall not infringe in the Bill of Rights?

steppinthrax

I know a few Muslims. they are nice but they are not strict followers. if all Muslims could exist without following the korans instruction to convert people, and especially with the use of force, I could be okay with it, but since it's in the koran, I have a big problem with the religion of submission itself. I don't want my descendants living under Islamic law. there are some evil and barbaric systems of law in the world. death for wearing red. rape because your brother had relations with someone from a higher social class, harmful punishments for not being with a male family member, and don't dare name a teddy bear mohamed as a sign of respect .. oh and of course being punished for being raped... boiling the faces off women. the uncountable atrocities are unimaginable. I know. .. I'm a racist... yea. .. sure. .. whatever. if Muslims would edit the koran and reform it to do away with violence, I could be okay with it... but they won't and so it is the world's biggest death cult. the fact that many don't follow it strictly can never justify it. we need to amend the constitution to say freedom of peaceful religion. I'm against importing people from cultures that have been blowing themselves up and fighting for the last 1200 year

I know, several Christians. they are nice but they are not strict followers.

In terms of the rest of your statement, how often does that happen here with Muslims in the United States? In addition, there are several things in the bible that are barbaric, yet people don't follow them. Does this mean Christians are not strict followers of Christianity?

steppinthrax

I've seen this thread for several days without bothering to read it, read the OP and all I could do was shake my head.
The two comments following sum it up, that would be yours and the next. I'm not a native, but have been driving Rt 4 for a while, and it's not new construction.
Never thought much of it because the last time I looked the constitution gave us the freedom to publically worship how we saw fit, without government permission.
I believe that's what was meant by Freedom of religion and shall not infringe in the Bill of Rights?

Freedom of religion is code for "Christian religion"

steppinthrax

I would like to think that the FBI would have some "eyes and ears" in that place to watch out for radicalism and terroristic activity. There is no way for us to know, of course.

You mean like they did in NY, a place that has thousands (maybe millions) of Islamic followers, maybe hundreds of mosques. How did that work out for them. The NY police sent spies into multiple mosques (spending taxpayer's money). Gained little if any insight, which lead to no arrests, warrants etc..

Later they were sued by the Islamic clergy, which resulted in a large settlement. Hmmm....

steppinthrax

I wish you would just move already. You hate this area, you hate the people who live here, why don't you hit the road and go be somewhere where you'll be happy? Or at least where we won't have to listen to your bitching and insults?

Wait, I thought you had me on ignore, why don't you put me back on ignore?

punjabigyrl

I personally know the doctor that runs the Islamic center. He has given the cops keys to the mosque and they can enter whenever they want to. Steppin.....if I can give you one advice it would be bigotry and racism eats at your soul. Hatred for a person, religion, thing place, etc because you don't understand or maybe it goes against your views is toxic. Hopefully, you can learn and tolerate and bee at peace. I shop in both Calvert, Saint Mary's and Charles County and met muslims from all walks of life. They are doctors, wait staff at restaurants, own businesses, military personnel, own companies that work with the base, own gas stations, grocery stores, realtors, engineers, substitute teachers, neuroscientists, professors in college, etc. Some have been here for almost 40 years. Their children and grandchildren born in southern MD. They have roots here in southern MD.
I'm sure if you have questions, they will be happy to talk to you. I did.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Freedom of religion is code for "Christian religion"

no, it's not. Benjamin Franklin was famous for having funded the building of many houses of worship including synagogues.
While the colonist may not have included Muslims, Buddhists , and other religions, the intent was to allow each to worship as they so believed.
It was not a code word. The only code word was that the principles that wee used in writing the constitution and laws were grounded in Christian-Judeo beliefs.

I have to ask, where do you get your information? Word of mouth? Have you read any of the works of Mason, Madison, Hamilton, Jefferson, etc. The Federalist Papers? History, not public school history, but books written by respected historians?

steppinthrax

no, it's not. Benjamin Franklin was famous for having funded the building of many houses of worship including synagogues.
While the colonist may not have included Muslims, Buddhists , and other religions, the intent was to allow each to worship as they so believed.
It was not a code word. The only code word was that the principles that wee used in writing the constitution and laws were grounded in Christian-Judeo beliefs.

I have to ask, where do you get your information? Word of mouth? Have you read any of the works of Mason, Madison, Hamilton, Jefferson, etc. The Federalist Papers? History, not public school history, but books written by respected historians?

We all know when you Republicans speak of Freedom of religion, they speak of the Christian religion. It's been something I've discussed with many dems within SoMD. Yes, I understand the concept of Freedom of Religion. But many feel (esp SoMD ppl), that the Christian religion is the most important and that all other religions just need to work "around" that fact.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
We all know when you Republicans speak of Freedom of religion, they speak of the Christian religion. It's been something I've discussed with many dems within SoMD. Yes, I understand the concept of Freedom of Religion. But many feel (esp SoMD ppl), that the Christian religion is the most important and that all other religions just need to work "around" that fact.

So by "We" are you talking about you and the voices in your head?

littlelady

God bless the USA
Yep, as long as we ME are severing you as your docs, business owners etc. We are in the green.

I don't feel a 'severing' :)lol:) between me and Middle Easterners (whom I assume are Muslim, but maybe they aren't). Who knows, and I don't care.

And geez, Step, way to twist my words. I don't have any personal friends that are Muslim. My point was I find all people I encounter living in SOMD as friendly and helpful. Again, I say that you look for trouble/problems that aren't there. I have seen you do it before. You must dwell on what you perceive has hate, even when it is not there. I would say, if you are paying attention to the replies in this thread, you will see that the hate you perceive is not there.

bilbur

That's funny, I was born and raised here and I am a atheist independent. In fact I only know of a handful of people that believe all Muslims are evil and I am related to and know at least half the locals in the county. You are doing what you are trying to shame people into not doing. Taking that handful that are racist bigots and associating them with the actions of a whole county. How are you any better than the ignorant bigot you are trying to portray our county is full of. As for the Muslim religion, any religion is good if taken in moderation and I don't have to hear about it.

bilbur

Yep, as long as we ME are severing you as your docs, business owners etc. We are in the green.

LOL

Everyone who has a job is serving someone. So yes, anyone who works for a living and pays taxes is good with me no matter who they are. Anyone who sits on the @ss and collects welfare even though they are physically able to work is not one of my favorite people. Race and religion have nothing to do with my feelings on this issue.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Please get to a hospital, your meds need to be adjusted.
Either that or you were hitting the bottle early today.