So the panhandling has started!

bcp

In My Opinion
I just had some guy in a new looking gas guzzling HUGE truck ask me for gas money at the WaWa in C.H. Meanwhile I am driving my hubby tiny gas efficient commuter car. I just said I did mot have cash, which I never do anyway, since I assumed that's all he wanted anyway. Afterwards I was thinking he should just go sell that in for a car like mine. He'd have lots of gas money left over and it would be a lot less for a fillup (I think it was $25 for me in hubby car).

My truck gets 19 around town, 24 on highway,
whats your husbands car get?

puggymom

my truck gets 19 around town, 24 on highway,
whats your husbands car get?

31/40
I am not sure if that is actual...that is just what various websites say.

And I should add I could care less what kind of vehicle you choose to drive as long as you can afford your own damn gas.

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
31/40
I am not sure if that is actual...that is just what various websites say.

And I should add I could care less what kind of vehicle you choose to drive as long as you can afford your own damn gas.

31/40 is pretty good.
wifes TDI is 47 combined, 61 highway. But if you load the thing with too much luggage, it will drop down to 55 highway pretty quick.

and, we can afford to put gas in our cars. But, I can understand how someone in certain situations could find themselves in need at a gas pump. And if they are young, female and cute, I help.
Old ugly and male (me) better get to walking cause I got nothing for them.

I can say however that I have only helped someone out at a pump once.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Next time say "Oh, I'll just fill my tank and then give you my car". Get your stuff, tell him you're pulling over to the pumps, and keep on rolling.

nah, that's crappy and cowardly. Plus, they can say "well my car is down the street so really I need to get a gas tank and fill it" and you're back where you started. If you're not going to do it, then "man up" and tell them no.

However, if you want to help them but don't want to be deceived, then go the credit card method -- tell them you're going to fill it for them and will pay via credit. That way they either get the gas put into the car, or they're filling a tank to walk over to their car. Either way, you know it's going to gas. If they sell the gas later, you could only go so far.

Roman

I would not let them get close to me enough to get the money from my hand. I'd be skeered that they'd grab me. Sorry about their luck, We give to enough charities anyway.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I would not let them get close to me enough to get the money from my hand. I'd be skeered that they'd grab me. Sorry about their luck, We give to enough charities anyway.

:yay:.....

I wont let them get that close to even ask me.... :coffee:

bilbur

I was at the sheets on 235 and this kid comes up asking me for money For him and his mother because they were low on gas and they been driving for three hours and their from Richmond Virginia. So who had heard this story?

Did anyone see the 2 people and their infant child holding up a sign just outside the Wal-Mart parking lot on Saturday. Looks like some have gone from lying to just straight up begging.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I was approached at a rest stop in Virginia along Rt. 95. Some story about needing gas. I give them credit because that is a great spot to pull that scam at. Lots of folks stopping to take a leak and the story is somewhat believable being on the interstate.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Did anyone see the 2 people and their infant child holding up a sign just outside the Wal-Mart parking lot on Saturday. Looks like some have gone from lying to just straight up begging.

i saw a hispanic family a few weeks ago near Target... homeless please help...

:rolleyes:.... they approached my car after the car in front of me gave them money.... EFF DAT.... i rolled up my window as he got close...

mamatutu

mama to two
I helped a couple to purchase some gas a couple of years ago. I probably got scammed. It is just so sad, anymore, how people are dishonest, and we can not trust anyone that we do not know. A couple was robbed just sitting in the Bob Evans lot a couple of weeks ago. The days of leaving your house unlocked or trusting/helping strangers is gone, forever. It is very sad indeed.

I should say that I put some gas in their car, on my card. I didn't give them cash. It could be a scam just to get free gas, but then again, it could have been legit. I guess we don't really know; we just decide whether to help or not, like others have said.

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I was in a charity thrift store looking for some cool second hand item.

While I was in the store a gentleman came into the store and begged for a job from the clerk. Asked where he could get help.

I couldn't help but overhear the conversation.

As I got into my car to leave, I realized I had some cash in my pocket that I hadn't used. I pulled up to the gentleman walking towards the throughfare and handed him the money.

So, yes, I am offended by people pulling "scams". But you shouldn't harden your heart and stop your giving nature towards those that could use a helping hand.

Also after thinking about it for a moment, if something happened to you and your family, would you know where to go and what to do for help in our area?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

While I was in the store a gentleman came into the store and begged for a job from the clerk. Asked where he could get help.

As I got into my car to leave, I realized I had some cash in my pocket that I hadn't used. I pulled up to the gentleman walking towards the throughfare and handed him the money.

So, yes, I am offended by people pulling "scams". But you shouldn't harden your heart and stop your giving nature towards those that could use a helping hand.

Also after thinking about it for a moment, if something happened to you and your family, would you know where to go and what to do for help in our area?

I would go to a charity and dontate... :yay:

mamatutu

mama to two

You make a good point. Your situation was different than the OP. You were not approached, and you chose to help the man, and approached him. BTW, that was really nice of you.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
You make a good point. Your situation was different than the OP. You were not approached, and you chose to help the man, and approached him. BTW, that was really nice of you.

No it wasn't I'm mean. :burning:

But the point was people should not suspect everybody of a scam. Just give if you can and feel you want to. If you don't have or don't want to, then don't give.

glhs837

Power with Control
I just had some guy in a new looking gas guzzling HUGE truck ask me for gas money at the WaWa in C.H. Meanwhile I am driving my hubby tiny gas efficient commuter car. I just said I did mot have cash, which I never do anyway, since I assumed that's all he wanted anyway. Afterwards I was thinking he should just go sell that in for a car like mine. He'd have lots of gas money left over and it would be a lot less for a fillup (I think it was $25 for me in hubby car).

No it wasn't I'm mean. :burning:

But the point was people should not suspect everybody of a scam. Just give if you can and feel you want to. If you don't have or don't want to, then don't give.

no, but they should be aware of the classic signs of a scam, and around there the classic sins are "I need a few bucks to get gas so I can get a) to a hospital to visit, b) to home Virginia/Waldorf/Baltimore.

Dont suspect everyone, but do suspect those who are telling the same story over and over again.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Dont suspect everyone, but do suspect those who are telling the same story over and over again.

so if you see someone going from person to person at the gas station telling the same story and not getting any money, that makes them a liar? Tell me, do the truthful people keep switching their stories to find something more believable?

I guess if I'm in that situation I should go to everyone and make up a bunch of stuff so it's not as conspicuous:
Hey dude, I lost my wallet and I need to take this prostitute home.
Excuse me, I need some gas money so I can get to my dealer's house.
Pardon me madam, could you give me gas money so I can get all the way down to Point Lookout to dump this body?

Thanks everyone!

:patriot:

glhs837

Power with Control
so if you see someone going from person to person at the gas station telling the same story and not getting any money, that makes them a liar? Tell me, do the truthful people keep switching their stories to find something more believable?

I guess if I'm in that situation I should go to everyone and make up a bunch of stuff so it's not as conspicuous:
Hey dude, I lost my wallet and I need to take this prostitute home.
Excuse me, I need some gas money so I can get to my dealer's house.
Pardon me madam, could you give me gas money so I can get all the way down to Point Lookout to dump this body?

Thanks everyone!

:patriot:

What I'm saying is that the odds of someone legitimately being at a gas station needing gas money is vanishingly small compared to the odds of it being a panhandler looking for a handout. Especially given the experiences here, where multiple forum members see the exact same people pulling the same stunt at different gas stations and stores. That's what I mean by the same story. Has anyone reported offering these people gas and had it accepted? Whereas we have had multiple reports of being turned down.

I'm all for helping my fellow man, in fact a week or two ago, drove back home about 10 miles, got the truck so the boy and I could drive 10 miles back and load up a gent whose powerchair had apparently run out of juice on a run from Spring Valley to CVS and take him back home.

Those damn chairs are freaking heavy, and just barely fit into a small Blazer:) One cool thing was in the 20 minutes it took us to go get the Blazer, two other people had stopped to assist, both only had cars, though.

BOP

I usually ask them who they voted for President. If they say "Obama," I ask them, "how's that hopey-changey thing working out for you?" and walk away.

:dye: