So the panhandling has started!

acommondisaster

Got hit up today at the Safeway gas station in La Plata. Pretty normal looking young mom-type looking lady driving an suv. I felt bad saying no, until the clerk inside told me she was a regular for a long time, disappeared, and now seems to be back again. Sounds like a relapse to me.

As an aside, I've recently started taking my keys out of the car and locking it whenever and wherever I'm filling up.

protectmd

My friend was approached at a gas station in LaPlata recently by an older black male possibly in his 40's. He walked up while my friend was fueling his vehicle, and asked if my friend had any money that he could spare. My friend told him that he didn't have any money (he doesn't carry cash), and told the guy sorry.

The guy turned to walk away, then turned back around. This time his demeanor changed and he stated "I know you've got money, your going to give me some cash!" "Give me your money!" (invading his personal space at this point). My friend stepped back and pulled a knife out and told him "Look MF'er, I don't have any money, so leave me alone unless you want to have a bad day!" Needless to say, the guy decided it wasn't his day to visit the trauma center and briskly walked away.

I would imagine more incidents like this are going to pick up as the garbage slowly makes its way out of the cities and into the burbs/country.

inkah

I was in a charity thrift store looking for some cool second hand item.

While I was in the store a gentleman came into the store and begged for a job from the clerk. Asked where he could get help.

I couldn't help but overhear the conversation.

As I got into my car to leave, I realized I had some cash in my pocket that I hadn't used. I pulled up to the gentleman walking towards the throughfare and handed him the money.

So, yes, I am offended by people pulling "scams". But you shouldn't harden your heart and stop your giving nature towards those that could use a helping hand.

Also after thinking about it for a moment, if something happened to you and your family, would you know where to go and what to do for help in our area?
sorry, but this is just idiotic. It does more to appease your conscience than actually help someone. There a million other ways to get involved and help besides throwing just enough for a bottle or a rock. Get a grip before you support the addict community again.

sm8

Is that legal?

It depends if there are video cameras present, if not it is a case of he said he said. Which one do you think the police would believe " but officer I was just trying to rob this innocent man while he was just simply buying his own gas and he pulled a knife on me."

inkah

It depends if there are video cameras present, if not it is a case of he said he said. Which one do you think the police would believe " but officer I was just trying to rob this innocent man while he was just simply buying his own gas and he pulled a knife on me."

Ah. So the law depends on whether or not there is a video camera present to capture it.

Gotcha.

Are you one of "st. Mary's finest"?

sm8

Ah. So the law depends on whether or not there is a video camera present to capture it.

Gotcha.

Are you one of "st. Mary's finest"?

Well, I am pretty fine and in St. Mary's but I am not a cop if that is your question J/K

So are you saying if someone is invading your space and trying to steal your stuff you would be more worried about the law than protecting your self.

The Dude

You mean coitus?

While I was in the store a gentleman came into the store and begged for a job from the clerk. Asked where he could get help.

As I got into my car to leave, I realized I had some cash in my pocket that I hadn't used. I pulled up to the gentleman walking towards the throughfare and handed him the money.

So, yes, I am offended by people pulling "scams". But you shouldn't harden your heart and stop your giving nature towards those that could use a helping hand.

Also after thinking about it for a moment, if something happened to you and your family, would you know where to go and what to do for help in our area?

Had enough looking down your nose at everyone else? Self righteous SOB.

The Dude

You mean coitus?
so if you see someone going from person to person at the gas station telling the same story and not getting any money, that makes them a liar? Tell me, do the truthful people keep switching their stories to find something more believable?

I guess if I'm in that situation I should go to everyone and make up a bunch of stuff so it's not as conspicuous:
Hey dude, I lost my wallet and I need to take this prostitute home.
Excuse me, I need some gas money so I can get to my dealer's house.
Pardon me madam, could you give me gas money so I can get all the way down to Point Lookout to dump this body?

Thanks everyone!

:patriot:

So if you see someone telling the same story over and over again they are telling the truth?

Well aren't you the smart one. Maybe you should give up working and become a douche on the street begging people for money.

The Dude

You mean coitus?
sorry, but this is just idiotic. It does more to appease your conscience than actually help someone. There a million other ways to get involved and help besides throwing just enough for a bottle or a rock. Get a grip before you support the addict community again.

You said it.

inkah

Had a different kind of begging experience. I have a neighbor who appears to have taken in a local crack who're and her kids. The little ones hang around my house a lot - which is fine for the most part since I figure that is better than being at home. The littlest one has taken to checking my mail for me though. She tells me her mommy taught her how to check people's mail and often helps her do it.

Yesterday the little one comes over and asks to help me make dinner. I invite her in. She helps. I ask if she wants to sit down and have a plate. When she hesitates, I think she is going to decline. Instead she asks if I have any of the gray stuff to put over it so she can take home. "Oh and can I have an extra plate for my mommy?" When I asked she tells me her mommy sent her over to get dinner.

What would YOU do??

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
Had a different kind of begging experience. I have a neighbor who appears to have taken in a local crack who're and her kids. The little ones hang around my house a lot - which is fine for the most part since I figure that is better than being at home. The littlest one has taken to checking my mail for me though. She tells me her mommy taught her how to check people's mail and often helps her do it.

Yesterday the little one comes over and asks to help me make dinner. I invite her in. She helps. I ask if she wants to sit down and have a plate. When she hesitates, I think she is going to decline. Instead she asks if I have any of the gray stuff to put over it so she can take home. "Oh and can I have an extra plate for my mommy?" When I asked she tells me her mommy sent her over to get dinner.

What would YOU do??

I would say "sure!" And take my time and call CPS and the cops

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I wish people would stop giving money to the panhandlers. They are like email scammers: somebody falls for that crap, which is why they keep doing it. If nobody would give them money, they'd go away and stop bothering people.

I don't even talk to them. If they say, "Excuse me..." I just ignore them and keep on walking. If they approach me, I tell them to get the #### away. If I found myself on hard times, you better believe I wouldn't spend one second of my time trying to hit people up for change at the Wawa, so I don't feel sorry for them at all.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I wish people would stop giving money to the panhandlers. They are like email scammers: somebody falls for that crap, which is why they keep doing it. If nobody would give them money, they'd go away and stop bothering people.

I don't even talk to them. If they say, "Excuse me..." I just ignore them and keep on walking. If they approach me, I tell them to get the #### away. If I found myself on hard times, you better believe I wouldn't spend one second of my time trying to hit people up for change at the Wawa, so I don't feel sorry for them at all.
Sometimes I do it just for the karma points.

inkah

I would say "sure!" And take my time and call CPS and the cops

I should mention that I have no factual basis for labeling this woman a crackhead. :)

You better believe I will be keeping an eye out though.

Problem is neither cops or cps seem very inclined to deal with addicts. It is pretty tough to figure out what to do with them. Nobody seems to be able to stop them from breeding. And Johnny do good jackasses keep giving them money for their own karma.

Hopefully folks will wise up and realize the havoc they wreak on these children when they insist on feeding the parent's addiction.

ladyhawk

The difference between this and the panhandling is that he did not approach the cashier for money and he did not approach the customers. I might have done the same thing you did in this case. But those lizards panhandling outside in parking lots... NOT..

June

Wrkn4livn

I think your right. I've been working since I was 14. A group of us were in northern Wisconsin camping and ran out of money (we were about 16). We walked into town and asked an older woman who ran a small greasy spoon in town if there was anything we could do for food. She gave us a broom and we swepped up the front of the store, moved some boxes around, picked weeds. She gave us meat loaf and mashed potatoes and man were they good! But other than that, I've never really been out of work so I really don't know how it feels. I just think there's always something to do. I was out of work when I got out to DC after the job that brought me here fell apart. I delivered pizza, worked in a sandwich shop chopping tomatoes, even found work pouring concrete (and I was 47 years old at the time). I found whatever I could to buy bread and milk for the family. The point is, I really think there are things to do out there that pay. Maybe not much. Just depends on what a person is willing to do. Begging is not in my character.