St Mary's can't find teachers?

Pete

Repete
I think you need to try a little harder...

If you read the article and actually comprehend what you read - your statement above is false.

By stating these positions are hard to fill negates your point of contention.

Now, if it stated that these positions WEREN'T hard to fill, and that there are many many applicants willing to take these jobs, but they aren't filling them because they want to increase diversity then your assertion is valid.

Have you ever discussed anything where your reply was not steeped in condescension?

LateApex

I challenge any of you to show me something that says these positions are hard to fill because they are turning away white applicants.

Any of you...

foodcritic

‘‘One of the goals we have in the school system is to increase minority candidates,” said Ed Weiland, director of human resources for St. Mary’s public schools. To this end, the black native Jamaicans and other teachers offer a talented pool of interviewees, he said.

Maybe you need to go back and read the article more clearly. I can not believe that they can not find american citizens - no matter what color - which should not even matter - to fill these positions.

Pete

Repete
Yes Ken.

It says a goal.

It doesn't say:

The 'sole purpose.'

It's trying to fill HARD TO FILL positions...

Like I said earlier...

Do you agree that the gist of the article is to find qualified applicants to fill positions that are in dire need?

I don't know about you but it conveys to me that people around here - anywhere around here for that matter aren't beating down the doors to fill these positions.

If these positions weren't hard to fill wouldn't it be reasonable to say that they wouldn't need to go outside of the area to fill them?

I think any reasonable person would agree...

It happens to fulfill two goals filling the position of need and achieving diversity.
Looks to me like they are trying to fill "hard to fill" positions on the cheap by going out of the country and cleverly disguising it as the quest for diversity.

If they jacked the salary for math and science teachers 30% would they still be hard to fill?

LateApex

Have you ever discussed anything where your replied are not steeped in condescension?

Yes.

I take umbrage with the fact that people are claiming that minorities are causing the problems with fulfilling our schooling needs.

As soon as something is posted about diversity people are quick to come out and say white people are getting shafted.

They are going to Jamaica to find students!

Oh my god! It's racist!

All I took from the article was they are looking for teachers to fulfill these shortages...

I could care less if they went to Sweden to find teachers. I could care less if they went to any European country to find teachers.

No... To people on this board it's all about trying to shaft the white man...

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Yes.

I take umbrage with the fact that people are claiming that minorities are causing the problems with fulfilling our schooling needs.

As soon as something is posted about diversity people are quick to come out and say white people are getting shafted.

Oh my god! It's racist!

All I took from the article was they are looking for teachers to fulfill these shortages...

I could care less if they went to Sweden to find teachers. I could care less if they went to any European country to find teachers.

They're recruiting Jamaican students too? :confused:

LateApex

‘‘One of the goals we have in the school system is to increase minority candidates,” said Ed Weiland, director of human resources for St. Mary’s public schools. To this end, the black native Jamaicans and other teachers offer a talented pool of interviewees, he said.

Maybe you need to go back and read the article more clearly. I can not believe that they can not find american citizens - no matter what color - which should not even matter - to fill these positions.

Then I think you should start believing it.

If it wasn't hard to fill then wouldn't that imply it is easy to fill?

If it were easy to fulfill then wouldn't that imply that there isn't a shortage of american teachers.

Are they NOT trying to find teachers around here to apply for these jobs?

Pete

Repete
Yes.

Oh my god! It's racist!

But you do admit that the conclusion of most is somewhat accurate because race and diversity discussion makes up the bulk of the article up to and including the headline, correct?

foodcritic

Yes.

Oh my god! It's racist!

Personally for me its the fact that they are going out of the country and hiring people who are not american citizens. I live in the USA and I would like an american citizen teaching my child. Are these teachers giving up their citizenship and taking the oath of citizenship to the USA? And this has nothing against their skin color. I would not want an European citizen teaching my child. American citizens should have the job of teaching in this country.

LateApex

But you do admit that the conclusion of most is somewhat accurate because race and diversity discussion makes up the bulk of the article up to and including the headline, correct?

No..

I don't admit that.

Of course it makes up the bulk of the article.

They are going to Jamaica to find the teachers. Of course it's going to talk about diversity.

Do you admit that the article states that the positions are hard to fill?

Do you admit that the article states they are going outside of the country to fill these positions of need?

I don't see anywhere in the article - ANYWHERE that claims this is for affirmative action policies.

Do you agree that the positions are hard to fill because no one around here wants to teach in this area?

Do you agree that it implies that NO ONE, regardless of race, wants to teach around here?

foodcritic

Then I think you should start believing it.

If it wasn't hard to fill then wouldn't that imply it is easy to fill?

If it were easy to fulfill then wouldn't that imply that there isn't a shortage of american teachers.

Are they NOT trying to find teachers around here to apply for these jobs?

I certainly don't think they are trying real hard. This is a huge country with alot of people. You are telling me that a small country like Jamaica has more qualified people than America. Give me a break. It comes down to diversity and getting people who would not make alot of money in their own country to think they will live the high life here.

LateApex

Personally for me its the fact that they are going out of the country and hiring people who are not american citizens. I live in the USA and I would like an american citizen teaching my child. Are these teachers giving up their citizenship and taking the oath of citizenship to the USA? And this has nothing against their skin color. I would not want an European citizen teaching my child. American citizens should have the job of teaching in this country.

Hey.

I understand.

Hell.. I'd rather have American's doing jobs in America..

But, if this article is any indication - teachers around here don't want the jobs.

Hard to fill means hard to fill.

Would you rather the school system have less teachers?

Would you rather the school system have more students per teacher thus increasing the work load so that our children get less individual attention?

That can't be a good thing no matter any way you look at it...

Pete

Repete

Your phobia of non citizens teaching your child is illogical. Algebra is algebra, physics is physics. Most of the major universities have professors who are not "citizens" are you going to hold your child from college in protest?

Fact of the matter is America is falling on its lazy ass. Why do you suppose half the doctors are of Indian/Middle Eastern ethnicity? I will give you a hint; medical school is HARD! Your typical American, white, black or purple doesn't want to put forth that much effort. Why are math teachers hard to find? Math is HARD!

Live with it. With a global economy comes many global things. You wash you face with soap produced by a French company, drive a car where the profits go back to Japan and now Juanita Marley is goin ta be teachin yo chile how ta calculate a derivative mon!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
No..

I don't admit that.

Of course it makes up the bulk of the article.

They are going to Jamaica to find the teachers. Of course it's going to talk about diversity.

Do you admit that the article states that the positions are hard to fill?

Do you admit that the article states they are going outside of the country to fill these positions of need?

I don't see anywhere in the article - ANYWHERE that claims this is for affirmative action policies.

Do you agree that the positions are hard to fill because no one around here wants to teach in this area?

Do you agree that it implies that NO ONE, regardless of race, wants to teach around here?
Does it say they are hard to fill or is it to be read that they are hard to fill by minority candidates? The content makes me believe that it is the later given the expressed goal.