St Mary's can't find teachers?

LateApex

I certainly don't think they are trying real hard. This is a huge country with alot of people. You are telling me that a small country like Jamaica has more qualified people than America. Give me a break. It comes down to diversity and getting people who would not make alot of money in their own country to think they will live the high life here.

People go where the money is.

I know several teachers - several that left the area to teach up the road.

Do you see anything around the area that will entice college grad teachers to come teach in this area?

They aren't coming here - period...

Answer me this - would you rather get paid two dollars an hour to do your job - when you could get ten dollars an hour to do the same job - in an area that is more aligned to a college grad's life style?

LateApex

Your phobia of non citizens teaching your child is illogical. Algebra is algebra, physics is physics. Most of the major universities have professors who are not "citizens" are you going to hold your child from college in protest?

Fact of the matter is America is falling on its lazy ass. Why do you suppose half the doctors are of Indian/Middle Eastern ethnicity? I will give you a hint; medical school is HARD! Your typical American, white, black or purple doesn't want to put forth that much effort. Why are math teachers hard to find? Math is HARD!

Live with it. With a global economy comes many global things. You wash you face with soap produced by a French company, drive a car where the profits go back to Japan and now Juanita Marley is goin ta be teachin yo chile how ta calculate a derivative mon!

Yes!!!

I agree wholeheartedly..

I see a real problem for us in the future.

We may be a super power now, but what happens when our children don't get the schooling and fall behind other countries children.

These same children will eventually be our leaders...

If we don't keep pace with other countries who's going to have the better technology?

Which countries are going to have the brightest minds.

I could care less the color of your skin if you're teaching me something. I just want to learn what it is that I don't know...

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Hey.

I understand.

Hell.. I'd rather have American's doing jobs in America..

But, if this article is any indication - teachers around here don't want the jobs.

Hard to fill means hard to fill.

Would you rather the school system have less teachers?

Would you rather the school system have more students per teacher thus increasing the work load so that our children get less individual attention?

That can't be a good thing no matter any way you look at it...

Teaching shortages are not new. It is a nationwide issue. Teachers don't make the kind of money that engineers make, and like I said before, teachers have a LOT of responsibility and are underappreciated.

There are a lot of percs to being a teacher (10 month work year; extended holidays off), but there are also a lot of downfalls (lack of financial support - many teachers have to purchase their own classroom materials out of pocket; they spend their free time at home grading papers and planning lessons; dealing with idiotic parents who can't believe their little Johnny would do such heinous things, etc.) Some teachers get to the point that yes, the grass is greener because XYC, Inc on base is paying someone with their science background 3 times more $. A lot of teachers bail out for bigger and better things. Many teachers are pulled out of the classrooms because they are promoted to administrative positions.

But I can only imagine that a teacher from Jamaica would have the world at their feet by coming to America to teach, compared to what their future would hold for them in their native homeland. :shrug:

Black, white, red, purple, hispanic, greek, american, whatever. If they are qualified teachers who CARE about their job - the more the merrier. :coffee:

LateApex

Does it say they are hard to fill or is it to be read that they are hard to fill by minority candidates? The content makes me believe that it is the later given the expressed goal.

Your beliefs are incorrect then.

Talk to any teacher around here. They'll tell you.

People aren't coming here to teach - period.

There is NO incentive to teach here.

Almost all the teachers I know - are either born and raised in the area or are the wives/husbands of people who work on the base.

None of them come here to teach because of the location and pay...

None of them...

foodcritic

Your phobia of non citizens teaching your child is illogical. Algebra is algebra, physics is physics. Most of the major universities have professors who are not "citizens" are you going to hold your child from college in protest?

Fact of the matter is America is falling on its lazy ass. Why do you suppose half the doctors are of Indian/Middle Eastern ethnicity? I will give you a hint; medical school is HARD! Your typical American, white, black or purple doesn't want to put forth that much effort. Why are math teachers hard to find? Math is HARD!

Live with it. With a global economy comes many global things. You wash you face with soap produced by a French company, drive a car where the profits go back to Japan and now Juanita Marley is goin ta be teachin yo chile how ta calculate a derivative mon!

I would hardly call what I have a phobia. My kids will go to college but they will be more mature than a middle schooler and be able to think for themselves. Its people who say live with it who are letting this country go to crap. Its people who say live with it that are lazy by not fighting for what is right.

LateApex

Teaching shortages are not new. It is a nationwide issue. Teachers don't make the kind of money that engineers make, and like I said before, teachers have a LOT of responsibility and are underappreciated.

There are a lot of percs to being a teacher (10 month work year; extended holidays off), but there are also a lot of downfalls (lack of financial support - many teachers have to purchase their own classroom materials out of pocket; they spend their free time at home grading papers and planning lessons; dealing with idiotic parents who can't believe their little Johnny would do such heinous things, etc.) Some teachers get to the point that yes, the grass is greener because XYC, Inc on base is paying someone with their science background 3 times more $. A lot of teachers bail out for bigger and better things. Many teachers are pulled out of the classrooms because they are promoted to administrative positions.

But I can only imagine that a teacher from Jamaica would have the world at their feet by coming to America to teach, compared to what their future would hold for them in their native homeland. :shrug:

Black, white, red, purple, hispanic, greek, american, whatever. If they are qualified teachers who CARE about their job - the more the merrier. :coffee:

I agree with everything you just posted.

I'm not familiar with the pay scale and economics in Jamaica, but it must be incredibly enticing to move here and teach.

I bet they could care less that the area isn't the most hip in the country.

Geek

I have thought for a while Teacher should have a title they could earn (Like Dr.'s and Professors) and we all should use, to increase respect for the hard work they do.

LateApex

I would hardly call what I have a phobia. My kids will go to college but they will be more mature than a middle schooler and be able to think for themselves. Its people who say live with it who are letting this country go to crap. Its people who say live with it that are lazy by not fighting for what is right.

More mature?

That's very elitist of you...

Why would they be more capable to think for themselves and more mature?

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill

Almost all the teachers I know - are either born and raised in the area or are the wives/husbands of people who work on the base.

None of them...

You are wrong, my friend. I know several teachers who moved here from other states after graduation, because of the recruitment done by SMCPS. They are very happy here; some have had opportunities to move back where they came from but chose to stay here.

And the majority of the teachers I'm talking about teach advanced math and science.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
This isn't news to me. Many school districts have had to look abroad for qualified math and science teachers. There's a just a shortage of new teachers in that specific area is all. And I had supervisors who were Jamaican/other Carribian islanders and they are the most hard working, professional yet laid back folks you'd ever meet. A couple went from being dirt poor (as in lived in a dirt floor shack and walked to school barefoot)to well educated professionals. I am sure they could teach our overly entitled youth a thing or two about the value of education.

LateApex

You are wrong, my friend. I know several teachers who moved here from other states after graduation, because of the recruitment done by SMCPS. They are very happy here; some have had opportunities to move back where they came from but chose to stay here.

And the majority of the teachers I'm talking about teach advanced math and science.

Really?

What schools?

I ask because I find that very different than what I know.

Do they have family ties here?

This can't be the norm then, because if it were, the positions wouldn't be in need right now...

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

None of them...
That is contrary to the article. The article says the pool for elementary education is large enough locally/regionally already. As a matter of fact the article makes no mention of salary as being the reason for seeking "diverse" candidates outside the US.

foodcritic

More mature?

That's very elitist of you...

Why would they be more capable to think for themselves and more mature?

Did you get the word "elitist" from Hillary?

My kids will be more mature and think for themselves because that is the way I am raising them.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Really?

What schools?

I ask because I find that very different than what I know.

Do they have family ties here?

I know people who work at several different schools in the county. No, they don't have any family ties in this area, although they have established themselves here and consider this their new home.

Do you work in the school system?

LateApex

That is contrary to the article. The article says the pool for elementary education is large enough locally/regionally already. As a matter of fact the article makes no mention of salary as being the reason for seeking "diverse" candidates outside the US.

Yet the positions are still in need and still hard to fill...

How odd...

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill

How odd...

The positions in need are in the middle and high school levels. Not elementary. That may be because middle and high school teachers generally teach one subject specifically and more in depth, as compared to an elementary teacher who teachers the basics of all subjects.

LateApex

Did you get the word "elitist" from Hillary?

My kids will be more mature and think for themselves because that is the way I am raising them.

I'm glad that you are raising your children correctly and commend you for that.

But, I don't see how that relates to the teaching shortage whatsoever...

LateApex

The positions in need are in the middle and high school levels. Not elementary. That may be because middle and high school teachers generally teach one subject specifically and more in depth, as compared to an elementary teacher who teachers the basics of all subjects.

Very true...

Thank you for pointing that out.

I know a teacher - well former teacher that I used to coach with. Brilliant in mathematics - that left St Mary's to work as a contractor because the pay was horrible and wasn't worth the stress...

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

How odd...
And this shows the problem we are having here in this discussion. According to the article they are admittedly looking for candidates of a diverse nature, AKA minorities, for the math and science jobs. They have enough diverse candidates in the elementary education group. They seek diverse candidates in the secondary education specialties of science and math and also in special education.

The article is clear it isn't about salary as you contend but about the characteristics of the candidates.