The Bad Fish Closing?!?!

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
Fuzion is in SanSuci, mostly a young crowd I wouldnt suggest it for the 30-40age group.

Yeah, there's something really weird about a 30-something hanging out in there.

I didn't mind Badfish... The downstairs bar had the best old guy I ever saw as a bartender.. He was hilarious!!

I went there a few times because it's close and I can catch my friends' bands play... You can't sit and watch and it was tough getting a drink but overall, it was not the worst place I've gone to see a band.

Wilmer's Park veterans with agree.. Try watching a hot singer hit his head all night on a heating duct while trying to avoid the constant leaks from something overhead:lol:

:goodtimes:

E

(((echo)))

Hello guys, this the Matt Viv, I ran the sound system at Badfish for the past year and half. I would like the make few professional statements to clear a few things up about Badfish and a few other places. I also do not know the true answer to why Badfish closed down, but it does suck. So I have taken majority of the misleading remarks and I am putting the truth their personal assumptions.

Mike, please announce to the crowd which unnamed St. Mary’s club Badish tried to keep up with or just Message me. From what I remember, Badfish was the only place to hold regular nights with Original bands. Other than PMJA/My Brother Place all other venues/bar brought in cover band that played the same exact music every night. I am speaking directly about Summer of 2007. For the Summer of 2006, he did bring in a lot of cover bands, then they wanted a change from the normal bar music.

Badfish went from a cover band bar into an original music venue. Majority of the cover band they came through played the same exact songs. If cover bands didn’t play the same songs over and over again, Jarod would book a few more.

Please bring me proof that the Badfish was hitting 120 dbs. When I was running sound at the bar, the volumes stayed around 100-105 dba, my measurements where taken at the sound board at the back of the room. I thought that the layout was pretty decent compared to a few other clubs: Good Times in Laplata with a tri-level rocking stage that is in the corner… Neptunes playing at the end of the bar towards the bathrooms he puts the bands in 1/5th of the bar… Big Dog Paradise you have a 20x20 room that you’re playing in…

Echo, have you ever been to The Green Door when they do live bands? Green Door was no bigger than Badfish.

I opologize sint you don't realize who I am :coffee: I am the ex guitarist for Below The Surface, we played badfish and on several occasions I would go to the fish and watch the music, I would even jump up there with ya and screw with the lights. There has been a few times i would look down and see the meter pushing 120 (don't get me wrong, i love loud music)
Green door...now i'm sorry it's been years since i was in there last. I make it a point not to go somewhere that in my drunken stooper i may trip on a dog :lol:

The shows that where next to the bar where Pre-Badfish move, those show where booked by owners of Fuzion. Since the Badfish bands moved to Fuzion, they had the bands in the restaurant side until the stage was built. Now the stage is at the opposite side of the building away from the bartenders.
Even with a stage on the "restaurant side" you have to agree that it is still too small of a location, Maybe I just see things differently. When i think of live music..i thing a larger venue not a "garage" :shrug:

Last time I was at Neptunes… there was a pair of speakers improperly deployed. You can not screen in eyebolts into the cabinet and call it safe. There was some old ass JBL speaker with eye-bolts screwed in to the speaker holding it into the ceiling. By seeing that, I wonder if the Plasma or correctly attached to the wall. I thought that Neptunes was the biggest run down bar in Southern MD, which even beats Dew Drop in the double wide trailer. I did a few shows in Neptunes, he places the bands parallel with the road at the end of the building, this equals to about the same size of an area as Badfish.
Echo, do you work for Neptunes? It sounds like your bitter at Jarod for moving the music over to Fuzion instead of Neptunes.
No...i dont work for neptunes and i still stand on my opinion that locally (as in st.marys co) it is the best place to set up shop for live music just for the simple reason it's bigger.

greyhound

it was tough getting a drink but overall, it was not the worst place I've gone to see a band.

Try not getting waited on at all after being seated...this was during the day for lunch. We left...never went back.

Wilmer's Park veterans with agree.. Try watching a hot singer hit his head all night on a heating duct while trying to avoid the constant leaks from something overhead

Ahhhhh....memories of Wilmer's Park.........:buddies:

mattvivslivesou

www.meerkatsound.com
I highly doubt that within Southern Maryland there will ever be a true music venue such as 9:30 Club, Recher Theater and Rams Head Live.

I just came on here to clear up some of the information that people where saying was miss informing. Badfish and Jarod tried to do something different and ordinary bars in Southern MD. Badfish closed and Jarod received a call from 3 bars/venues asking him to work for them, and he chose to move everything to Fuzion cause of the location of the bar (easiness getting to Bar) and the room to grow (capacity of 250 on the rock room side)

Of the places I have been to in the last 2 years, I would say that Hotel Charles' Party Room and "New" Fuzion's Rock Room are the two best locations that I have worked in that are set-up for live music. I'll also mention that I have not been to Memories in Waldorf or Rednecks in White Plains.

Echo, I did a little math with at 104 at mix position would be around 122 db on stage. So I would agree with your numbers on this if you where taking the measurements at the stage. But you’re if saying 120 db at mix position, that would be around 140 db stage volume and that’s the same volume as being 30m from a Jet Aircraft. (Each time the distance doubles 6 dB are "lost", measurements are taken in Meters and front line of the stage was about 10 meters from the mixer)

If anyone wants to check out live music at Fuzion this weekend (on Saturday) there is going to be 4 live bands: Below 6th, The Drama Club, Beretta Jane, & Skitzo Calypso.
Below 6th local favorites from Northern Calvert County.
Beretta Jane is formed with the previous member of Havok in Hollywood/Gold Mind Squad. The original lead singer moved to CA and the remaining members found a new lead singer and wrote some new music.
The Drama Club features Nick Coyle formerly of Lifer and Nate Bevan formerly of hardcore band Stalemate. Over the past year the band has shared the stage numerous times with hometown friends/former bandmates Breaking Benjamin, as well as with Velvet Revolver, Hoobastank, Flyleaf, Silvertide, and many others including a 30 date N.E. tour which included a stop at the Warped tour in their hometown. Their newest hit features Ben Brunley who is the lead vocalist and guitarist from a band called Breaking Benjamin. Their latest album was producer by Rob Caggiano (famous for playing with Anthrax, and producing albums from Bleeding Through, Ill Niño, A Life Once Lost, Dry Kill Logic and 36 Crazyfists) and the album was mixed by Jay Baumgardner (Evanescence/Papa Roach/Godsmack to name a few).
Skitzo Calypso is from Baltimore, they have shared touring slots with: The Brides of Destruction (featuring: Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue & Tracii Guns of Guns n’ Roses), Amen, The Living Things, Slaughter, Bile, Nocturne, Gotham Road (featuring: Michael Graves of The Misfits), Seven Mary Three, Skid Row, L.A. Guns, Jimmie’s Chicken Shack, Powerman 5000, Tribal Tongue, The Sex Slaves, Local H, 12 Stones, Tony Hawk's Thrash n' Jam Tour

Last edited:
K

kris31280

I've been to Fuzion right after Bad Fish closed and I was not impressed. It was like oil and water, all the people going to one side of the club to get their dance on to crappy at best hip hop music and all the live music fans on the cheesy restaurant side.

I heard Jarod was making huge changes to the place, but I haven't been back for a while because it just didn't have the same vibe Bad Fish did.

Dew Drop sucks my will to live. Neptune's has always been dead every time I'm in there.

What was nice about Bad Fish was the outside patio area where you could actually hold conversations and form connections with people. The patio area is where I met my best friends who were there after going to a wedding.

*sigh* I miss Bad Fish.

mattvivslivesou

www.meerkatsound.com
I've been to Fuzion right after Bad Fish closed and I was not impressed. It was like oil and water, all the people going to one side of the club to get their dance on to crappy at best hip hop music and all the live music fans on the cheesy restaurant side.

I heard Jarod was making huge changes to the place, but I haven't been back for a while because it just didn't have the same vibe Bad Fish did.

Dew Drop sucks my will to live. Neptune's has always been dead every time I'm in there.

What was nice about Bad Fish was the outside patio area where you could actually hold conversations and form connections with people. The patio area is where I met my best friends who were there after going to a wedding.

*sigh* I miss Bad Fish.

I will agree with you that when it was on the restaurant side it wasn't great for live music. Bands ended up with about the same size stage as badfish, but the room was about 10-15ft deeper and the floor was twice as wide.
Now Fuzion has built a stage on the opposite end of the bar, the stage is elevated about 1-1.5 ft, its also about 24' wide, and 14 ft deep. The next step for Fuzion is to install a quality PA system that can cover the size of the room and keep the regional and national touring bands coming.