Unfaithful partner, what to do

FED_UP

OK, so your partner was unfaithful. They swear to you that it was a 1 time thing. Promise never to partake of the forbidden fruit again.

What do you do? Forgive them or toss them to the curb?

Was it at least an upgrade? Who want to live with the memories, but love conquers all. Every once in a while you will be thinking I am sleeping with the enemy.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
depends on relationship status. Just starting to know each other and dating. Um no. Gone.

Serious relationship. Some trust rebuilding would need to be done and the wait and see. So many cheaters try to push the blame onto the person that was cheated on because they don't want to take responsibility for their own actions. Playing the blame game isn't right and doesn't accomplish anything. I know women/men that have cheated on their spouses or SO's and try to push the blame off on the other party. They can't take responsibility for their part of this.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
depends on relationship status. Just starting to know each other and dating. Um no. Gone.

Serious relationship. Some trust rebuilding would need to be done and the wait and see. So many cheaters try to push the blame onto the person that was cheated on because they don't want to take responsibility for their own actions. Playing the blame game isn't right and doesn't accomplish anything. I know women/men that have cheated on their spouses or SO's and try to push the blame off on the other party. They can't take responsibility for their part of this.
:like: You can make someone feel emotions, but you cannot make them do physical things.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm sorry, but if you cheat on me, that's because YOU made the decision to do so. I don't care if the relationship is strained or not.

"Strained" means something(s) is under pressure before the cheating. I cheated and it didn't just happen. There is nothing I can, or will say, to try and make it sound OK. It's not OK and it was an awful and dreadful harm I chose to inflict on her. However, the strains on our relationship made it inevitable, to which I bear enormous responsibility, because the strains were not being relieved or addressed and that wasn't all my fault.

To the question, cheating isn't the issue, in my view. It is a symptom. The illness is all the underlying strains. As such, focusing on the symptoms and not the 'disease' misses the point. Sneezing and coughing and runny nose, headache, so to speak, are the cheating and all bad enough but, they are expressions of the underlying illness. Is it just a cold? Flu? Poisoning?

I suppose there are people who cheat in otherwise healthy relationships and I know some guys who it's simply understood that, on occasion, they're gonna do what they're gonna do and the wife just accepts it, especially if she doesn't have to see it or hear about it. But, in those marriages, it's more a deal and that is not for everyone.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm sorry, but if you cheat on me, that's because YOU made the decision to do so. I don't care if the relationship is strained or not.

:yay: Everyone owns their own behavior, and if a man or woman cheats on their spouse THEY own that, not the spouse. If you have such low character that someone can "make" you be unfaithful...yeah, you might want to address that in your next counseling session.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
However, the strains on our relationship made it inevitable, to which I bear enormous responsibility, because the strains were not being relieved or addressed and that wasn't all my fault.

Don't kid yourself. It was not "inevitable", Larry.

:yay: Everyone owns their own behavior, and if a man or woman cheats on their spouse THEY own that, not the spouse. If you have such low character that someone can "make" you be unfaithful...yeah, you might want to address that in your next counseling session.

^^This.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Don't kid yourself. It was not "inevitable", Larry.

^^This.

If the strains continue, something gives, sooner or later. That can be wanting out. That can be acceptance of the way things are. It can be drugs, alcohol, or whatever people do to cope with the strain or finding strength in the vows themselves. Hell if I know.

There are a number of vows one takes, several fidelities in addition to forsaking all others; love, honor, cherish, in sickness and in health, etc. If two people can't find peace and peace of mind with one another, sure, they can stick it out forever and 'honor' their vows if that's how they see it, just gut it out and take pride in never quitting. But, as there becomes less and less common ground over time, more and more doubt, there is less to support the relationship and, sooner or later, it's likely someone is gonna fall off.

I applaud any couple who can hang in there no matter what, who always find reasons to keep it together.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If the strains continue, something gives, sooner or later. That can be wanting out.

Oh what the hell, since it's already out here...

If you wanted out you should have told me that to my face, ended the marriage, THEN ran off with some woman. Order of operations. And there probably wouldn't have been near the fallout.

On a more impersonal note and in general, that is how infidelity destroys marriages: the betrayal and disrespect. That your husband falls down and accidentally impales himself on some cocktail waitress is almost beside the point; it's when he sneaks around and lies to you, plays you for a fool, and puts you in a position where someone else can smirk and gossip that is the true infidelity. I think most women (cannot speak for men) would forgive a genuinely good husband, father, and all around man who had a brain fart and went off the reservation if the incident were handled with respect and genuine remorse; it's the bastards who lie and sneak around, then try to blame her for their bad behavior that get kicked to the curb.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

If you wanted out you should have told me that to my face, ended the marriage, THEN ran off with some woman. Order of operations. And there probably wouldn't have been near the fallout.I didn't want that and neither did you and neither one of us, and certainly not together, could figure out how to make it work. I take ALL the blame for doing the cheating but, it wasn't because I wanted someone else. It was to force the issue in a low, despicable fashion just to end the trying which was going nowhere for either of us.

...it's the bastards who lie and sneak around, then try to blame her for their bad behavior that get kicked to the curb. because I have more respect for you than to do <----that

There still is a hell of a lot more going on in relationships than cheating. It didn't go from 'happy, happy, joy, joy' to, "I think I'll end this for the heck of it..."

Ultimately, the stain is on me. Not you. The loss is both of ours and our families but, it was long before I cheated.

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
On a more impersonal note and in general, that is how infidelity destroys marriages: the betrayal and disrespect. That your husband falls down and accidentally impales himself on some cocktail waitress is almost beside the point; it's when he sneaks around and lies to you, plays you for a fool, and puts you in a position where someone else can smirk and gossip that is the true infidelity. I think most women (cannot speak for men) would forgive a genuinely good husband, father, and all around man who had a brain fart and went off the reservation if the incident were handled with respect and genuine remorse; it's the bastards who lie and sneak around, then try to blame her for their bad behavior that get kicked to the curb.

:coffee:

MMDad

Lem Putt
I think most women (cannot speak for men) would forgive a genuinely good husband, father, and all around man who had a brain fart and went off the reservation if the incident were handled with respect and genuine remorse; it's the bastards who lie and sneak around, then try to blame her for their bad behavior that get kicked to the curb.

This is the exact opposite of your response to me when I said that having kids complicates the question of whether or not to end the marriage. If she's a good mother, is it wrong to consider that in the equation?

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
If you wanted out you should have told me that to my face, ended the marriage, THEN ran off with some woman. Order of operations. And there probably wouldn't have been near the fallout.

^This right here^

You don't want me? You're no longer happy with me? That's cool. TELL ME and END the marriage before you go finding a replacement.

Oh, but what if you don't/can't find a replacement after you kick me to the curb? Your tough luck.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

This almost sounds like you could forgive him if he'd have went to a pro, the idea that you could be embarrassed by his actions makes it intolerable?