18 Horses Rescued?

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"
Wow, that is pathetic that someone would let their animals get in that shape. Regardless of all his excuses, that's what they were, excuses...

Thank God for rescue.

fredsaid2

Reading the article you realize he had no idea of how to care for horses. He probably thought there was money to be made from breeding and selling. The article says "he decided to get into the horse business on land he owned -- in Lusby". Sounds as if he bought them all for 11k and thought somehow he'd turn a profit. What a shame....

J

jaybeeztoo

I saw this story on the news last night. The horses were emmaciated. :bawl: It did make me think of Snowflake though. Does anyone know how he's doing?

SoftballCrazy

jaybeeztoo said:
I saw this story on the news last night. The horses were emmaciated. :bawl: It did make me think of Snowflake though. Does anyone know how he's doing?
I don't know that Snowflake is still around...I think he may have crossed Rainbow Bridge, but could be mistaken....Tried to look for info on SMAWL's site but didn't find anything...

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
I know of the Hughes property in Lusby, its at the very end of Little Cove Point Road. I knew a girl that use to keep her 5 horses there about 7 years ago. There was so much pasture that I don't think she even fed grain, at least not spring through fall. When I moved from Calvert County 5 years ago there were no horses there. One thing that does not sit well with me is if you look at the picture the pasture seems to be about as good as I have ever seen. This leads me to think that these horses are not emaciated from lack of food but from parisites that have eatten their entire insides up. And the pastures also themselves being infested with parisites. These are going to be very, very sick horses and it would take a miracle for any of them to ever be healthy again. It makes me sick that a person could do something like that to these horses and just get in his truck and drive away. I cannot understand why he was not arrested and held accountable for the damage he has done to the horses? This piece of property owned by Mr Hughes would have to be valued at a minimum of $500,000.00 so it is not as if he is someone who does not have the means to take care of them. :wench: :wench: :wench: :wench: :wench: :wench: :wench: And you know why he wanted to leave a couple??? so he would get the damn tax break on his land by having it zoned agricultral :smack:.

Last edited:

Merlin

Registered Smarta$$
mygoldnhorse said:
I know of the Hughes property in Lusby, its at the very end of Little Cove Point Road. I knew a girl that use to keep her 5 horses there about 7 years ago. There was so much pasture that I don't think she even fed grain, at least not spring through fall. When I moved from Calvert County 5 years ago there were no horses there. One thing that does not sit well with me is if you look at the picture the pasture seems to be about as good as I have ever saw. This leads me to think that these horses are not emaciated from lack of food but from parisites that have eatten their entire insides up. And the pastures also themselves being infested with parisites. These are going to be very, very sick horses and it would take a miracle for any of them to ever be healthy again. It makes me sick that a person could do something like that to these horses and just get in his truck and drive away. I cannot understand why he was not arrested and held accountable for the damage he has done to the horses? This piece of property owned by Mr Hughes would have to be valued at a minimum of $500,000.00 so it is not as if he is someone who does not have the means to take care of them. :wench: :wench: :wench: :wench: :wench: :wench: :wench: And you know why he wanted to leave a couple??? so he would get the damn tax break on his land by having it zoned agricultral :smack:.

The pic in the article was not of the Hughes farm; it was the pasture at Pats farm where several of the horses were transferred to.

I just spoke with Josimmon, and this is not the farm she was referring to. She spoke with someone today about it who was involved with the rescue of these 18 horses, and it is being looked into.

I hope his Hughes guy gets treated as badly as his horses did, and then some!

Wisecrackin"

This is how they looked yesterday..

Attachments

• 20060927_0049.JPG
    20060927_0049.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 141
  • hugheshorses11.JPG
    hugheshorses11.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 146
  • hugheshorses15.JPG
    hugheshorses15.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 144

SoftballCrazy

Wisecrackin" said:
How flipping awful! That man who had the horses definitely deserves punishment...unbelievable...those pics are awful. And not the same horses as mentioned before in a thread, so there could be more being abused in Calvert...

GallopNTec

Merlin said:
The pic in the article was not of the Hughes farm; it was the pasture at Pats farm where several of the horses were transferred to.

I just spoke with Josimmon, and this is not the farm she was referring to. She spoke with someone today about it who was involved with the rescue of these 18 horses, and it is being looked into.

Do you or anyone else know how to contact the rescuers to offer help? Either financially or physically.

As for the Hughes guy.. what comes around goes around

Wisecrackin"

Days end got worst (9) Freedom hill got (4) Pat who is working with Chesapeake SPCA got (5) at her house..if you give to the Chesapeake SPCA note "hughes horses" so that it will cover her vet bills etc..

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Wisecrackin" said:

:shocking: OMG, how horrible. Thank goodness somebody rescued them before it was too late and by the looks of them, it wasn't a moment too soon.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Merlin said:

Well I hope for the horses sakes they were emaciated because of nutritional reasons. They may at least have a chance. I knew a guy once that had a horse and he just bragged all the time about how great this horse, Jasmine was. I just had to see her. When I got to the place where he was keeping her he was just raving about the pastures, I agree they did look great. I thought wow I wish I had grass like that. And then I saw Jasmine. She was a beautiful 4 year old bay and seemed to be such a doll. But she seemed down kind of just standing in the run in. Her weight was low and I could not figure out why with so much pasture she would look like that. When I asked him what was up with her weight he went on about how she had been a little sick lately. I asked when was the last time you wormed her, he kind of squirmed around and said that a friend had helped in worm her a couple of months ago. I looked at her manure and I could not believe what I saw. It was so red that I thought she was bleeding, as I looked closer I realized it was not blood it was parasites. I insisted that he let me take her to my barn, telling him that the pasture must be infested, I would of about told him anything to get her away from him. I had the vet meet me at my barn and she started her on the 5 day worming program, but she also did a blood test. I thought this was strange and asked why? She said that she thought that her intestines were probably perferated from such a heavy infestation of worms and that the blood test would show how much damage there was. The outcome was not good and she did not last but a couple of months, I just could not get her healthy. :bawl: She lived on daily doses of the pepto stuff for horses because her stomach was eaten up with ulcers. It makes me so mad that some stupid person decides they have to have a horse and they don't have a clue how to care for it. Alot of times the damage is irreversible.
In this case the pictures you just posted some seem like they are young horses. I could just scream. :tantrum I do want to know why My Hughes is getting off scott free? And can't wait to hear the explanation for that. I remember last year a guy in Hollywood had 5 horses taken from him and he was arrested and tried. He was heavily fined, and put on probation, as I recall.

Last edited: