2 weeks without power...

MMDad

Lem Putt
I figured it out! You are from New Jersey!

Here; IF you happen to find your power out for a week or two or three and IF you happen to have some solar panels that you are using to supplement your generator and IF you happen to have a coffee maker, you do not HAVE to use the solar panels to power the coffee maker.

How'd that be? :lmao:

I'd make a fire long before I did that.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Try 1kw. Add loss through the inverter. Possible? Yes. Practical? No. A complete waste of time and effort? Absolutely.

If your SHTF scenario means that it's too dangerous to build a small fire to heat a cup of water, then you're dead anyway. What are you going to cook with? How are you going to disinfect water? How are you going to stay warm?

I don't think that you understand what survival is. Try learning from those who survive for a living. You don't see SEAL teams traipsing through the mountains of Afghanistan with their coffee pots and three square meters of solar panels to power it. Yet they somehow find a way to make coffee.

You throw out something as inane as a coffee maker being important and expect to be taken seriously? Then add on a solar powered coffee maker? Come on Larry.

I'll bet that if I say nothing more, not another word, you'll just keep spinning at this point. That makes you a perpetual motion machine! You could keep yourself quite warm in an emergency, endlessly taking my entire point out of context. Warmth, entertainment, why, you are practically self contained!

:buddies:

MMDad

Lem Putt
I'll bet that if I say nothing more, not another word, you'll just keep spinning at this point. That makes you a perpetual motion machine! You could keep yourself quite warm in an emergency, endlessly taking my entire point out of context. Warmth, entertainment, why, you are practically self contained!

Actually, Larry, I understood your point just fine. If you are in a place that is so dangerous that you cannot build a small fire, all you have to do is find a clearing, set up a bunch of solar panels, and waa-laaa! Coffee!

DynaDink

There's a difference between being a whiner and being depressed about the situation. Many of those people are despondent, and that's understandable. However, they don't have to whine. It doesn't help anyone.

Possible that the people interviewed handle adversity that way?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Actually, Larry, I understood your point just fine. If you are in a place that is so dangerous that you cannot build a small fire, all you have to do is find a clearing, set up a bunch of solar panels, and waa-laaa! Coffee!

:lmao:

Sorry Larry but that right there is funny...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Power was out for 11 days after Isabel in '03. We made out just fine...and had room enough in our freezers for some of our neighbors to save food in.

We have two or three of the old stovetop coffe percolators...its flat amazing how much power a coffee maker will draw. Takes more than a 1KW inverter to run on..I know that from trying it one time.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I know what else you can do to keep busy!? Search for where I made the argument that the most important thing you can do in an EOTWAWKI situation is make coffee with solar panels.

What you WILL find is where I suggested that as a possible use for solar power that one might have IN A TREAD I started discussing generators, solar panels, fuel consumption and other issues associated with planning for disasters and modifying those plans based on real world experience.

The first time I even mentioned coffee was when Vrai asked what in the world one might possibly want with solar panels in an EOTWAWKI scenario.

She then went on to say she meant 'run for you life' not as part of emergency preparedness.

So, again, you don't HAVE to do any of this.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Power was out for 11 days after Isabel in '03. We made out just fine...and had room enough in our freezers for some of our neighbors to save food in.

We have two or three of the old stovetop coffe percolators...its flat amazing how much power a coffee maker will draw. Takes more than a 1KW inverter to run on..I know that from trying it one time.

Bet you wish you had some solar panels, huh?

:lol:

Back in Hurricane Gloria, I loaned my BIL my generator, a 2200 watter, so he could run the fridge and a light or two.

Get a call from his wife.... generator isn't working right... lights in the house are dim and brown. We play question and answer a bit trying to figure it out..... then she says, "Hold on, I have to turn the iron off".

:doh:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Bet you wish you had some solar panels, huh?

nah. Was camping and tried to use the inverter to perc some coffee and didn't want to start a generator because it was real early and didn't have one of the stovetop percolators handy.

Started the genny anyway and woke everyone up..coffee is simply too damned important.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Naw, I took it at that value. It's all good.

The reality is that if there is an apocalypse, all the planning and prep and food stores etc... will only be viable for a finite time. Unless you're wealthy and can create a cavern with stockpiles for a hundred years, chances are your resources will run dry alot more quickly than you anticipated. or be pilfered. Or you get killed and don't have to worry anymore.

Think about that. People WILL stockpile whatever they can get their hands on and, when it falls apart, warehouses will get emptied and someone is going to have a LOT of coffee makers. And someone is going to have a bunch of solar panels. And some enterprising ex flower grower is gonna have coffee and make friends with the coffee pot and solar panel dudes, at some point, some guy named MM is gonna come along and it will be...

No coffee for you! Ha!

Unless he has something good to trade with.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
nah. Was camping and tried to use the inverter to perc some coffee and didn't want to start a generator because it was real early and didn't have one of the stovetop percolators handy.

Started the genny anyway and woke everyone up..coffee is simply too damned important.

FINALLY! A true American!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Back in Hurricane Gloria, I loaned my BIL my generator, a 2200 watter, so he could run the fridge and a light or two.

Get a call from his wife.... generator isn't working right... lights in the house are dim and brown. We play question and answer a bit trying to figure it out..... then she says, "Hold on, I have to turn the iron off".

:doh:

Bet she'd like to have some solar panels so, if she ever has to bug out, at least her collars will be pressed!

MMDad

Lem Putt
Think about that. People WILL stockpile whatever they can get their hands on and, when it falls apart, warehouses will get emptied and someone is going to have a LOT of coffee makers. And someone is going to have a bunch of solar panels. And some enterprising ex flower grower is gonna have coffee and make friends with the coffee pot and solar panel dudes, at some point, some guy named MM is gonna come along and it will be...

No coffee for you! Ha!

Unless he has something good to trade with.

I'll drive by, using the fuel that I refined myself. My kids will point as we go by - "Hey dad! Look at that guy starving to death, freezing his butt off, drinking a cup of coffee!"

I'll just say "Let's get home and throw another log on the fire. I want coffee."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'll drive by, using the fuel that I refined myself. My kids will point as we go by - "Hey dad! Look at that guy starving to death, freezing his butt off, drinking a cup of coffee!"

I'll just say "Let's get home and throw another log on the fire. I want coffee."

Then, after you've awoken from this dream, you'll realize that I still have ALL the coffee, and my buddies have ALL the solar panels and ALL the coffee makers and all you have is just that, dreams.

Ha.

Actually, that is something else I've kicker around, 'growing' fuel with the greenhouse. I think enough could be done outdoors around here as is and the greenhouses greatest use would be growing food and medicine.

I'd share coffee with you. After giving you #### about it.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Then, after you've awoken from this dream, you'll realize that I still have ALL the coffee, and my buddies have ALL the solar panels and ALL the coffee makers and all you have is just that, dreams.

Ha.

Actually, that is something else I've kicker around, 'growing' fuel with the greenhouse. I think enough could be done outdoors around here as is and the greenhouses greatest use would be growing food and medicine.

I'd share coffee with you. After giving you #### about it.

Food would definitely be best in the greenhouse. Plenty could be done outdoors for fuel stock, as well as using the plant waste from growing food.

Landfills would be a good place to harvest methane for fuel. Our local one even has flares set up on methane wells, so all you'd have to do is run pipes and there you go.

There's been some effort to make oil out of algae, but no idea if that would actually be feasible here. I think you need warmer weather and more sunlight. Of course, once the EPA is gone you could take a lake, add a bunch of fertilizer, and grow as much algae as you can use.