2 weeks without power...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Some of them mentioned solar panels as being a now viable alternative to run small things to conserve generator fuel and, I thought obviously, you would use it for all manner of things including a coffee maker and cordless tools HOWEVER LONG THE BATTERIES were good for. Or you came across new ones or, whatever.

:shrug:

you could direct power the coffee machine after sun up .... lead acid batteries used to be serviceable - aks take the plates out to clean off the sulfation

I have a collection on old books, on tech - from the early 1900's

Audels - Carpentry, Plumbing, Electricity, Gardening .......

how to survive in 1/2, 1, 2, or 5 acres

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
No, I'm not. Costco has these Chinese units that put out about 200 watts. These guys are talking about buying them by the pallet, 24 or so (4800 watts) at something like $6,000 vs. under a grand for a comparable gas generator that requires, obviously, fuel. Pro's and cons.

Not, it's not throw it in the truck portable but, it is also not much work to pack them up and not much heavier than a generator and not take up much more room in a pick up than the gen.

And they are also talking about what you mention, charging batteries with the cells as well. And running the freaking coffee maker instead of building a fire, giving away position, need for firewood.

Why is this controversial, at all?

I just want to know, who is growing the coffee beans? We need a tropical environment in the mountains. You better learn to like chicory.

ylexot

Super Genius
What would anyone be growing for these "end of the world" scenarios? Mine would be potatoes and hemp.

I'd love to have some hemp seeds on hand, but they are illegal because of their similarity to marijuana (yes, I looked into it).

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I just want to know, who is growing the coffee beans? We need a tropical environment in the mountains. You better learn to like chicory.

I am surrounded by impossiblists today! :lmao:

Ever hear of a greenhouse? No? Well, I have and I often wonder what best use might be for mine in an EOTWAWKI issue. Grow medicine? Food? COFFEE? Rubber?

Good lord, people. Cranky, cranky...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
you could direct power the coffee machine after sun up .... lead acid batteries used to be serviceable - aks take the plates out to clean off the sulfation

I have a collection on old books, on tech - from the early 1900's

Audels - Carpentry, Plumbing, Electricity, Gardening .......

how to survive in 1/2, 1, 2, or 5 acres

Well, what do you know? Someone who is thinking of what might be done as opposed to what CAN'T be.

:buddies:

MMDad

Lem Putt
And running the freaking coffee maker instead of building a fire, giving away position, need for firewood.

Why is this controversial, at all?

Because of all things to want to power, a coffee maker has to be just about the silliest one of them all. In a SHTF situation, you give up the creature comforts and nice-to-haves. I can't understand why you'd put a coffee maker on your list.

A solar array means you're set up in large clearing already. May as well start a fire.

Or even better, look at the Biolite Camp Stove. No smoke, easy to use, and even charges things via USB. Much more survival, much less wasted effort trying to power things that aren't going to keep you alive.

ylexot

Super Genius
Because of all things to want to power, a coffee maker has to be just about the silliest one of them all. In a SHTF situation, you give up the creature comforts and nice-to-haves. I can't understand why you'd put a coffee maker on your list.

A solar array means you're set up in large clearing already. May as well start a fire.

Or even better, look at the Biolite Camp Stove. No smoke, easy to use, and even charges things via USB. Much more survival, much less wasted effort trying to power things that aren't going to keep you alive.

Solar oven + camp percolator...

Larry Gude

Strung Out

For ####s sake. :tap:

One panel, 200 watts. A 120 v. 2 amp coffee maker needs what, 2, maybe three panels? Not a freaking football field.

The POINT is options, possible solutions. It could damn well be a LOT easier to use a couple panels to make coffee than build a fire. And, again, if you are paying ANY attention, this all started as solutions to what people are experienced with Sandy. A few panels and they can have coffee, charge a cell phone, charge a battery pack. If you move on to EOTWAWKI, a couple of panels might be a good, usable bit of kit.

As for giving up creature comforts, read you a book sometime about our civil war while you're ignoring half of what I write. In the WORST of conditions, one thing men wanted as much, often more than ANYTHING else was coffee.
It's the little things sometimes that mean the most.

Go ahead. Work up the next thing you disagree with. :lmao:

Build a fire. :lmao:

I started a thread talking about people and their real world experiences dealing with an unusual event, Sandy, and how it worked out with their plans. How planning for a few days is nowhere near the same as several weeks. Some of them mentioned solar panels as being a now viable alternative to run small things to conserve generator fuel and, I thought obviously, you would use it for all manner of things including a coffee maker and cordless tools HOWEVER LONG THE BATTERIES were good for. Or you came across new ones or, whatever.

Apparently, I've caused annoyance where information was intended.

:shrug:
Naw, I took it at that value. It's all good.

The reality is that if there is an apocalypse, all the planning and prep and food stores etc... will only be viable for a finite time. Unless you're wealthy and can create a cavern with stockpiles for a hundred years, chances are your resources will run dry alot more quickly than you anticipated. or be pilfered. Or you get killed and don't have to worry anymore.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I am surrounded by impossiblists today! :lmao:

Ever hear of a greenhouse? No? Well, I have and I often wonder what best use might be for mine in an EOTWAWKI issue. Grow medicine? Food? COFFEE? Rubber?

Good lord, people. Cranky, cranky...

I think we're on different pages. I'm talking about when the #### actually hits the fan and you have to bug out or be rounded up and thrown in gulag. Sounds like you're talking about after the Empire has been destroyed and humans are looking to rebuild society.

Did Frodo and Samwise have a greenhouse or a Mr. Coffee when they were on their quest to destroy the One Ring in the Crack of Doom at Mordor? No. No they didn't.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's another good way. The thought of generating enough electricity to power a coffee pot though seems like an amazing waste of effort.

I figured it out! You are from New Jersey!

Here; IF you happen to find your power out for a week or two or three and IF you happen to have some solar panels that you are using to supplement your generator and IF you happen to have a coffee maker, you do not HAVE to use the solar panels to power the coffee maker.

How'd that be? :lmao:

DynaDink

Actually no. There was a huge difference there. A big difference was the fact that most of the people left in NO after the storm did not have any means of transporation to leave the area when the evacuation was called. Then they were all herded to the Super Dome whether they wanted to go there or not.

In NY, NJ & CT, the people complaining the loudest and longest about not getting any help, say they had vehicles that were destroyed. So they could have evacuated when the evacuation was called. They are sitting in their homes saying their homes are destroyed, when folks really did have their homes devastated. They are saying they are starving to death because nobody has come to their home to give them any food, instead of getting up off their butts and going to go get it. They are saying they can't leave their homes because they have no where to go, and they are freezing to death, when shelters have been set up but they won't get up off their butts and go to a shelter. They say they can't do anything because nobody from the government has come to their homes and given them money. WTF? What did they do for money before? It seems none of them have homeowners insurance, because not one person has mentioned the phone call they put into their insurance company. Instead, I heard a man last night whining that he didn't like the free food he did get from the Red Cross. It wasn't good enough for him. It looked better than the MREs I used to eat. They are whining about not having any power, as if they are the only people in the world who have never had power. In this situation, the responsibility to take care of themselves, first lies with them. Not the government. Not the volunteer charities.

The average cost of those homes destroyed by Sandy was $500,000, plus.

The average cost of those homes destroyed by Katrina was $50,000.

What news agency do garner your opinions from?

MMDad

Lem Putt
For ####s sake. :tap:

One panel, 200 watts. A 120 v. 2 amp coffee maker needs what, 2, maybe three panels? Not a freaking football field.

Try 1kw. Add loss through the inverter. Possible? Yes. Practical? No. A complete waste of time and effort? Absolutely.

If your SHTF scenario means that it's too dangerous to build a small fire to heat a cup of water, then you're dead anyway. What are you going to cook with? How are you going to disinfect water? How are you going to stay warm?

I don't think that you understand what survival is. Try learning from those who survive for a living. You don't see SEAL teams traipsing through the mountains of Afghanistan with their coffee pots and three square meters of solar panels to power it. Yet they somehow find a way to make coffee.

You throw out something as inane as a coffee maker being important and expect to be taken seriously? Then add on a solar powered coffee maker? Come on Larry.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I think we're on different pages. I'm talking about when the #### actually hits the fan and you have to bug out or be rounded up and thrown in gulag. Sounds like you're talking about after the Empire has been destroyed and humans are looking to rebuild society.

Did Frodo and Samwise have a greenhouse or a Mr. Coffee when they were on their quest to destroy the One Ring in the Crack of Doom at Mordor? No. No they didn't. No. They only had practical, realistic things...like a magic ring that would teleport them. Nothing crazy or psy fi...like a coffee maker. :lmao:

Agreed. If I have to run for my life, I will not be gathering up solar panels and coffee makers for the Bug Out Bag. I suppose I should have spelt that one out, huh?

What would your attitude be if everything you ever owned was destroyed?

There's a difference between being a whiner and being depressed about the situation. Many of those people are despondent, and that's understandable. However, they don't have to whine. It doesn't help anyone.

DynaDink

I think it depends on the situation.

Is it a natural disaster, ie super volcano, meteor stike? Sure rebuild communities and rebuild the world.

Is it a Red Dawn situation? Sure, fight for independence.

Is it a total economic collapse? Hunker down and hide out for a while, because you'll get killed for a toothbrush.

However, after watching the "Yankees" in NY, NJ and CT, I think it also depends on where you are when the SHTF.

The last line of your thread explains your attitude.