Accident in front of Loveville MVA

itsbob

I bowl overhand
They need to uphold the laws that are on the books. make the driver, no matter the age, responsible for their passengers.. it IS the drivers responsiblity to ensure everyone is buckled, ESPECIALLY if they are minors (15?). But being the kind compassionate people we are, we are going to let him slide, and we'll be reading about another fatality very similar to this one in a week or two. Start enforcing the laws we have, start taking kids licenses, fining the piss out of them, send one or two to jail and the word will get around.

MMDad

Lem Putt
itsbob said:
They need to uphold the laws that are on the books. make the driver, no matter the age, responsible for their passengers.. it IS the drivers responsiblity to ensure everyone is buckled, ESPECIALLY if they are minors (15?). But being the kind compassionate people we are, we are going to let him slide, and we'll be reading about another fatality very similar to this one in a week or two. Start enforcing the laws we have, start taking kids licenses, fining the piss out of them, send one or two to jail and the word will get around.
Don't Mom and Dad have to sign to get a minor a license? Let's not leave them out!

JPC, will you fix this?

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I understand there was some altercation at the school. A girl who, I guess, didn't like the deceased made a smart aleck comment and ended up getting beat up for it.

I was told this last night by a mother whose child witnessed the event.

Emotions are running very high at CHS right now.

M

missperky

MMDad said:
Don't Mom and Dad have to sign to get a minor a license? Let's not leave them out!

JPC, will you fix this?
If under 18, your parent's signature is required. True parent's can't be left out.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
MMDad said:

JPC, will you fix this?
It used to be as long as you were a minor, the parents were held fiscally responsible for their children.. Don't know what happened there.
SO say your 16 year old is doing ANYTHING (not necessarily driving) and does damage to your property (for example) you could sue the parents for reparations.

They used to carry this to things like skipping school in one state I lived in. Unexcused absence, the PARENTS had to go to court, and pay a fine.

M

missperky

itsbob said:
I know of a few cases where the driver is to blame for the death of his/her passenger(s) but they are still walking free, it's a shame.

MMDad

Lem Putt
itsbob said:
It used to be as long as you were a minor, the parents were held fiscally responsible for their children.. Don't know what happened there.
SO say your 16 year old is doing ANYTHING (not necessarily driving) and does damage to your property (for example) you could sue the parents for reparations.

They used to carry this to things like skipping school in one state I lived in. Unexcused absence, the PARENTS had to go to court, and pay a fine.

I realize this can be taken to extremes, but the investigation should still include the parents role. Did they act responsibly? Did they monitor the child's driving?

Next week will be the seven year anniversary of the really bad one in Lusby. My wife taught at Patuxent then, and had the girlfriend in one of here classes. I also knew the neighbor of the other kid in the race, so we got some inside information. It's third hand, so I can't swear to the accuracy, but here's what I know:

The kid was notorious for tailgating, speeding, racing, and generally assinine driving. His father had given him the car, a bright yellow Mustang. I remember having a close call with this kid. His mother was concerned enough that she slashed the tires on his car. Dad replaced the tires.

Local LE had received numerous reports about this kid. At one point, they showed up at the kids house to wait for him after a particularly bad complaint. Dad called the kid and told him not to come home because the police were there.

We went to the viewings. The girlfriend had an open casket. It's rough enough to see a kid in a casket with the grieving parents, but she also had an obviously broken neck. It was terrible.

As parents, we can never stop our kids from doing stupid things, but we can take prudent steps. Too bad four people had to die in this one.

M

missperky

MMDad said:
I realize this can be taken to extremes, but the investigation should still include the parents role. Did they act responsibly? Did they monitor the child's driving?

Next week will be the seven year anniversary of the really bad one in Lusby. My wife taught at Patuxent then, and had the girlfriend in one of here classes. I also knew the neighbor of the other kid in the race, so we got some inside information. It's third hand, so I can't swear to the accuracy, but here's what I know:

The kid was notorious for tailgating, speeding, racing, and generally assinine driving. His father had given him the car, a bright yellow Mustang. I remember having a close call with this kid. His mother was concerned enough that she slashed the tires on his car. Dad replaced the tires.

Local LE had received numerous reports about this kid. At one point, they showed up at the kids house to wait for him after a particularly bad complaint. Dad called the kid and told him not to come home because the police were there.

We went to the viewings. The girlfriend had an open casket. It's rough enough to see a kid in a casket with the grieving parents, but she also had an obviously broken neck. It was terrible.

As parents, we can never stop our kids from doing stupid things, but we can take prudent steps. Too bad four people had to die in this one.
I remember that accident, wow 7 years ago. Time flies.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
wildchild78 said:
Drivers usually don't go to court/jail for manslaughter it is just on your driving record and affects your insurance
Yes they do, my little brother was charged (in court) with manslaughter for the death of his passenger in an accident. The charges have been reduced, but you do go to court unless you plea out.

M

missperky

wildchild78 said:
Drivers usually don't go to court/jail for manslaughter it is just on your driving record and affects your insurance
What does that teach them?

wildchild78

Nickel said:
Yes they do, my little brother was charged (in court) with manslaughter for the death of his passenger in an accident. The charges have been reduced, but you do go to court unless you plea out.

maybe some do go to court I don't know of any instances...guess it depends on the officer at the scene I guess....

muwha8

bresamil said:
I understand there was some altercation at the school. A girl who, I guess, didn't like the deceased made a smart aleck comment and ended up getting beat up for it.

I was told this last night by a mother whose child witnessed the event.

Emotions are running very high at CHS right now.
Thats horrible, you know I have come across many people in life that I hate and dislike, but you know what if those people ever died theres no way I would make a mean comment about it, wow what kind of person is that kid.

muwha8

Nickel said:
So did he have to do jail time?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
wildchild78 said:
maybe some do go to court I don't know of any instances...guess it depends on the officer at the scene I guess....
I doubt the officer at the scene has much to do with the court system.

wildchild78

muwha8 said:
Thats horrible, you know I have come across many people in life that I hate and dislike, but you know what if those people ever died theres no way I would make a mean comment about it, wow what kind of person is that kid.

I agree totally! I never talk bad about the deceased.....now the alive and kicking that is a whole different story :killingme

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
muwha8 said:
True. Never speak ill of the dead. Whatever problems you have with them dies when they do.