ACCIDENTS KEEP PILING UP

glhs837

Power with Control
I've been riding for over 50 years and I don't recall a single incident where anyone purposely "aimed" for me. That said, the degree to which I've been "invisible" to someone in a car is absolutely amazing sometimes. You get used to practically gaining eye contact with a driver and yet watch them pull out right in front of you anyway.

I was on the scooter for 5 hours last weekend - 2 1/2 hours each way - to attend the services for an old friend of mine, up in Carroll County. Despite traveling through some of the most congested areas of the state between here and there, the ride was surprisingly "event free".

Brother of a friend of mine was killed on his bike a couple weeks ago. Stopped at a road construction location by the traffic control guy, he was run over from behind by a guy in a pickup truck that was focused on texting instead of driving. I stopped counting the number of cycle-riding friends and acquaintances I've lost or seen severely crippled over the last 50 years....it's not a small number, and the majority of them from moron car/truck drivers.

Yep. Eventually you get the point where you are like Bruce Lee, mentally wagging a finger at them cause you know they will get stupid and you are ready. I've had great results oscillating the bars a bit as I approach folks waiting to pull out or turn left. You can see them blindly looking until the headlight makes some lateral motion and they jerk to awareness. Like frogs, you don't exist to them to them until you make a motion.

LAst year I was going to PA every month or two, 4 ours up one day, then back the next afternoon. Take the bike to the airports for work trips when possible, three to four times a year. Usually event free. Mot common is lane incursion by a texter.

Bruce Lee No GIF

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Stupid still can hurt. And it should. I see crotch rockets racing to be the first one at the scene of a horrific accident all the time.

It's kinda nice to see one of those crotch rocket riders wrapped around a couple of guardrail pylons. A piece here and a piece there, pieces everywhere. Can't wait to see how a human body will do when it impacts those barriers in the median of RT4. (Crazy inconsiderate speeding and weaving loud crotch rocket riders only). I wonder if such a person would still qualify as an organ donor?

glhs837

Power with Control
Caught on camera....

So. All the black cars fault. Every single bit of responsibility on them.

That said, I'll note one thing about the Jeeps response. Doesn't looks like ABS braking, or even really hard braking. This is one of my pet peeves. Very few people ever take the time to learn the limits of their vehicles.

3CATSAILOR

Accidents keep piling up. I guess it has become something we accept as part of the risk. Last Thursday on 235 I was headed North bound in the St. James area. A car came head on in my lane. I got out of the way barely in time. Most people don't survive head ons. Later on and in to the evening on the way home, I observed at least ten vehicles going across the white line and on to the shoulder and back. A guy was driving down the shoulder instead of the road. He eventually came back on the road. Everywhere you turn, you hear on the radio, on line News, the Enterprise and the County Times and even every now and then the Washington D.C. TV stations about a single vehicle that went off of the road in Southern Maryland and hit a tree, a car or a house. Usually folks do not survive these type of accidents.
This morning on 235 I was Sound bound. A car going North bound decided to pass THREE cars at one time. I had to go off of the road on to the shoulder to miss him. Everyone is in too much of a hurry.

OccamsRazor

I will say this from personal experience (as far as motorcyclists go) that for every single respectful and mindful cyclist I see on the road, there are 5 or 6 crotch rocket idiots that are racing towards their fiery death. This is most likely why people laugh when they hear the catch-phrase "Look out for motorcycles!"

glhs837

Power with Control
I will say this from personal experience (as far as motorcyclists go) that for every single respectful and mindful cyclist I see on the road, there are 5 or 6 crotch rocket idiots that are racing towards their fiery death. This is most likely why people laugh when they hear the catch-phrase "Look out for motorcycles!"

Hmm, for me its the opposite. Maybe the arsholes draw your attention more than more sedate riders? Or maybe St Marys below L-town is just more laid back?

OccamsRazor

Hmm, for me its the opposite. Maybe the arsholes draw your attention more than more sedate riders? Or maybe St Marys below L-town is just more laid back?
Nah. I commute between The PAX Gate 3 area up to Charles County and back almost daily. For every rider I see, there are half a dozen crotch rocket, Harley, or sport bike riders either racing up and down 235/5 or ducking in and out of merge and turn lanes to get 2 cars ahead. My personal favorite happened just 2 days ago. Rider didn't feel the need to wait at the red light like everyone else at NB 235/Town Creek so they quickly turned right onto Town Creek, pulled the U-turn, and continued north on 235 almost running into a car making a U-turn from SB 235 to NB 235.

glhs837

Power with Control
Nah. I commute between The PAX Gate 3 area up to Charles County and back almost daily. For every rider I see, there are half a dozen crotch rocket, Harley, or sport bike riders either racing up and down 235/5 or ducking in and out of merge and turn lanes to get 2 cars ahead. My personal favorite happened just 2 days ago. Rider didn't feel the need to wait at the red light like everyone else at NB 235/Town Creek so they quickly turned right onto Town Creek, pulled the U-turn, and continued north on 235 almost running into a car making a U-turn from SB 235 to NB 235.
Let's be fair. That's no different than a lot of cars.

OccamsRazor

Let's be fair. That's no different than a lot of cars.
True, however "a lot of cars" don't have national campaigns and signage that say "Watch out for cars... we don't have as much protection." That is my point. Lots of bikers acting like idiots yet still crying about being more "at risk" than cars.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

glhs837

Power with Control
True, however "a lot of cars" don't have national campaigns and signage that say "Watch out for cars... we don't have as much protection." That is my point. Lots of bikers acting like idiots yet still crying about being more "at risk" than cars.
Oh I agree. You won't catch me saying that, I never expect cars to have my safety in mind. That's my responsibility

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I hope it was worth it...

The 'slap on the wrist' policy at work.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I hope it was worth it...

Just more ferals acting feral. It's all they can do.