Affirmative Action

Should we do away w/ the special "black" program

• Yes, they are outdated and unfair

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • No, We still need these programs

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I don't care but let me start a United White College fund for just white people

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters

SamSpade

Wow, it seems to me that there is a SERIOUS problem with African American people on this forum. If you would read your history you would see that such programs were put in place to help people that were not hired because of the color of their skin and were not given a fair chance. Affirmative Action does not just affect African Americans, it affects Latino’s, Asian Americans, women, disabled veterans, people with disabilities that are not veterans, and the list goes on.

It should be that way, shouldn't it? But I've known and worked with dozens of persons from those other groups who were denied any access to Affirmative Action programs. I've never known an Asian American who was ever helped by an affirmative action program, and I know of at least one Indian woman who was openly ridiculed for even trying, skin color notwithstanding.

That may be the *intent* of Affirmative Action, but in practice, it is a program for African Americans - period.

The premise has always been that since the scales tipped in favor one way, it needed to be intentionally tipped the other way to set things right. That is, it's ok for it to be unfair, because the status quo itself is unfair already. So if someone calls it unfair - well of course it is. To deny that would be to deny its purpose for existence.

What bothers me is there seems to be no mechanism whatsoever to determine if it is doing its job - other than how people feel about it. I mean, if you see a social problem and embark on an admittedly unfair course of action to correct it - you have two obligations : one is to determine if the problem is being fixed and two, is your solution actually doing anything to change the problem? Nothing I can see about Affirmative Action does this. There's no objective mechanism to establish this, especially the second one.

Why do I say that? Because proponents of Affirmative Action firmly agree that it is STILL necessary - and I think if something hasn't made substantial progress in 40 years - it isn't actually solving the problem at all. You shouldn't need to KEEP an unfair program indefinitely to "tip" the scales back, because that means you are never actually addressing the problem itself - just the end result. If the problem is some kind of intrinsic form of racism, then Affirmative Action can NEVER solve the problem. It will just make people feel good about it.

bcp

In My Opinion
Affirmative action does more harm than good.

why would I chose to go to a black doctor knowing full well that there is a good chance that he was pushed into his position with affirmative action. If I want the best, reason dictates to chose a person that had no choice but to do it on their own. That right now would have to be a white male, to get past all the minority red tape, he must really stand out in his abilities.

Same with a lawyer, or electrician or even pooky the plumber.

sad part is that there are many minorities that are more than qualified to do what they do, Its just that one does not know before making a decision.

drop AA and pretty soon only the best will be left, there will be no question to the ability or skill of the black doctor, or lawyer etc...

Why, I bet this can even be extended to a black president.

sunmoonstars

Affirmative action does more harm than good.
Same with a lawyer, or electrician or even pooky the plumber.
sad part is that there are many minorities that are more than qualified to do what they do, Its just that one does not know before making a decision.
drop AA and pretty soon only the best will be left, there will be no question to the ability or skill of the black doctor, or lawyer etc...
Why, I bet this can even be extended to a black president.
Ok lets just say they do drop AA.
And even if a person gets a free ride to school, they still have to make the grades.
YOUR Pookey the plumber had to pass the same test that BOB the Plumber did Miss Daisy....
Your ignorance proving not to be good for you...
You think people get a free ride on everything....
Sorry Miss Daisy but you may be right on some, but wrong on a lot..

bcp

In My Opinion
Ok lets just say they do drop AA.
And even if a person gets a free ride to school, they still have to make the grades.
YOUR Pookey the plumber had to pass the same test that BOB the Plumber did Miss Daisy....
Your ignorance proving not to be good for you...
You think people get a free ride on everything....
Sorry Miss Daisy but you may be right on some, but wrong on a lot..
more proof that you have no clue.
yes, pookey might have to "pass" the same test, however, pooky passing the test with a 70 will put him ahead of the white guy passing the test with a 95.
and unless you have been in a position to actually see this in process, as I have, dont even try to claim otherwise because you will end up getting proven wrong once again.

sunmoonstars

more proof that you have no clue.
yes, pookey might have to "pass" the same test, however, pooky passing the test with a 70 will put him ahead of the white guy passing the test with a 95.
and unless you have been in a position to actually see this in process, as I have, dont even try to claim otherwise because you will end up getting proven wrong once again.

Ok yet another attempt for a call out. :bigwhoop:
I think that if I keep pointing out your weak attempts you will eventually get better.
Good Luck.
However again, this is something that we have no control over.
BCP..if you are THAT bored, I will entertain you.

bcp

In My Opinion
Ok yet another attempt for a call out. :bigwhoop:
I think that if I keep pointing out your weak attempts you will eventually get better.
Good Luck.
However again, this is something that we have no control over.
BCP..if you are THAT bored, I will entertain you.
and once again you fail.

you getting tired of being proven wrong yet?

sunmoonstars

and once again you fail.

you getting tired of being proven wrong yet?

The only thing that I have failed on is thinking that YOU may be just a little bit smart.
If I am wrong on anything I am ADULT enough to admit it.
And keep on moving. (check my posts)
It seems that you have taken a liking to being on my NADs...Hold on Granny your in for a LONG ride..
Brave behind a keyboard...
Shaking in their boots in public....

donbarzini

The only thing that I have failed on is thinking that YOU may be just a little bit smart.
If I am wrong on anything I am ADULT enough to admit it.
And keep on moving. (check my posts)
It seems that you have taken a liking to being on my NADs...Hold on Granny your in for a LONG ride..
Brave behind a keyboard...
Shaking in their boots in public....

Dear Vrai,

It is posts like that above that force me to ask that we find a smiley for:

:shakingheadsadly

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

donbarzini