Amish Buggies...

belvak

Happy Camper
That's a blanket statement. Not every single Amish person in the world beats their dogs. Your mother encountered a family that did and rescued it.

We've established in many past threads that horses are not for pets and pleasure riding in the Amish world. They are tools to get the job done because they do not rely on machines like the "English". In the 40 plus years I've known Amish, I've seen horses and other animals treated well by many families, and poorly by others. I would say its the same as some non-Amish take care of the their cars and tractors and pets, others do not.

There are probably many non amish that beat or treat their dogs poorly.:michaelvick: There are also many horses abused and neglected by non amish.:snowflake:

I respect the amish as they have chosen to live a life that is deviod of the spoils we take for granted each day. Their families represent a set of values many non amish families have lost. We could all learn alot from working together the way their families, communities do.

Socks, how many Amish people do you actually know? Or Menonnite for that matter...

How would the world have achieved anything without the use of animals, for food, for labor, even for companionship? The Amish are respectable for their lifestyle, and religious fervor, for not buying into the load of crap laid out by most "English".

It's small-minded and bigoted to use the world "all" when referring to a type of person.:nono:

:frown:

Oh, and his kids, they love to play them some x-box!

And my Amish friend loves to play video games, fall asleep on my couch watching TV, OH and ride my sons 4-wheeler:lmao: Got to love them!!They are no diferent than us...we are all human.

:yeahthat:

sockgirl77

True. Let me rephrase it. Some amish beat dogs.

Socks, how many Amish people do you actually know? Or Menonnite for that matter...

How would the world have achieved anything without the use of animals, for food, for labor, even for companionship? The Amish are respectable for their lifestyle, and religious fervor, for not buying into the load of crap laid out by most "English".

It's small-minded and bigoted to use the world "all" when referring to a type of person.:nono:

:frown:

I am not small-minded, nor am I a bigot. You of all people should know this about me. :smack:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
on a related topic, what exactly is the difference between "amish" and "mennonite"? is there a difference?

The Amish, who separated from the Mennonites in the late 1600's, are widely known for their plain dress and rejection of modern technology and conveniences. Unlike the Mennonites, they form an exclusive and tight-knit community, with the church dictating much of what may or may not be done: for example, each local church district would dictate rules regarding the use of telephones, if indeed they are permitted at all. While certain conservative branches of the Mennonite church still dress simply and require women to wear head coverings, Mennonites generally are not culturally separatist, choosing to embrace the larger communities outside of their church rather than forming a separate community around the church. Where the Amish believe in keeping themselves spiritually focused by limiting their interaction with modern society, Mennonites believe in practicing Jesus' teaching of service to others in a broader context.