And the Skins are off...

PsyOps

Pixelated
Man you are bitter. You know we won yesterday, right? And CP had two td's and about 100 on 20, right?

I guess I am. I became bitter when I found out JKC's son couldn't buy the team and Snyder took it, then changed the name of JKC Stadium to FedEx Field. A pathetic move and a slap in the face to JKC and the fans. And the atmostphere of the Redskins hasn't been the same since.

That aside, they have not produced a winning team since Snyder took over. Hardly a coincidence. The guy has run the team into the crapper with all his money and belief that he could somehow buy a winning team. So forgive me for being skeptical that the Skins will ever be a great team again. And they have consistently proved this for over a decade now.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's...

I guess I am. I became bitter when I found out JKC's son couldn't buy the team and Snyder took it, then changed the name of JKC Stadium to FedEx Field. A pathetic move and a slap in the face to JKC and the fans. And the atmostphere of the Redskins hasn't been the same since.

That aside, they have not produced a winning team since Snyder took over. Hardly a coincidence. The guy has run the team into the crapper with all his money and belief that he could somehow buy a winning team. So forgive me for being skeptical that the Skins will ever be a great team again. And they have consistently proved this for over a decade now.

...time to let it go.

BuddyLee

Football addict
You really need to worry about better things than that bro. It wasn't Snyder so much as it was the sands of time changing the game. Almost every single field is commercialized. No more Veteran Field, no more RFK, and no more Candlestick. I wouldn't be surprised if they built a new stadium in LA and named it Tampax stadium. It's all about making the mighty dollar these days. Every team has been doing it, the NFL as a whole is doing it to a great extent...it's not just a Snyder thing.

What do you consider a 'winning' team?

Super bowl? More traditional sense, 9-7 or better?

PsyOps

Pixelated
You really need to worry about better things than that bro. It wasn't Snyder so much as it was the sands of time changing the game. Almost every single field is commercialized. No more Veteran Field, no more RFK, and no more Candlestick. I wouldn't be surprised if they built a new stadium in LA and named it Tampax stadium. It's all about making the mighty dollar these days. Every team has been doing it, the NFL as a whole is doing it to a great extent...it's not just a Snyder thing.

Let’s see… I have Larry telling me to let it go and you telling me I have better things to worry about. I thought we were having a discussion. I’ve been a fan of the Skins for about 40 years. I’ve watched the changing tide and never in the history of the Skins have I seen a more complacent, cold-minded, do-nothing team since Snydie took them over. You can call it the change in the tide or whatever… I call it “money does not buy a winning team”.

What do you consider a 'winning' team?

Super bowl? More traditional sense, 9-7 or better?

Since Snydie took over in 1999:

1999- 10 – 6 – 0. First in division. Wildcard. Dumped in Second round of playoffs.
2000- 8 – 8 – 0 Third in NFC East. Did not make playoffs
2001- 8 – 8 – 0 Second in NFC East. Did not make playoffs
2002- 7 – 9 – 0 Third in NFC East. Did not make playoffs
2003- 5 – 11 – 0 Third in NFC East. Did not make playoffs
2004- 6 – 10 – 0 Second in NFC East. Did not make playoffs
2005- 10 – 6 – 0 Second in NFC East. Wild card. Dumped in second round of playoffs.
2006- 5 – 11 – 0 Fourth in NFC East. Did not make playoffs
2007- 9 – 7 – 0 Third in NFC East. Wildcard. Dumped in first round of playoffs.

I’d have to say that’s a pretty crappy track record. In fact the worst in 4 decades. Does that answer what I consider to be a winning team? What do you consider to be a winning team?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Let’s see… I have Larry telling me to let it go and you telling me I have better things to worry about. I thought we were having a discussion. I’ve been a fan of the Skins for about 40 years. I’ve watched the changing tide and never in the history of the Skins have I seen a more complacent, cold-minded, do-nothing team since Snydie took them over. You can call it the change in the tide or whatever… I call it “money does not buy a winning team”.

1999- 10 – 6 – 0. First in division. Wildcard. Dumped in Second round of playoffs.
2005- 10 – 6 – 0 Second in NFC East. Wild card. Dumped in second round of playoffs.

I’d have to say that’s a pretty crappy track record. In fact the worst in 4 decades. Does that answer what I consider to be a winning team? What do you consider to be a winning team?

Hence, the annual Redskin mantra: "There's always next year." :lol:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Alright, name me five other teams that haven't done as much.

Hey, lets not forget the crappy track record the 8 years before Snyder inherited the team. Sometimes its not all about the 'owner', however, I agree that it was about the owner early on. Now, not as much.

I consider a winning team in the traditional sense, better than 8-8.

BuddyLee

Football addict
ONLY 4.5? That is a pretty damn good average. You have to remember, this was a real game, not Madden.

:fairweatherfan:
After the first series he asked Zorn to put him back deeper in the backfield. The result was a 5.7 ypg average for the rest of the game.

Nice.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
After the first series he asked Zorn to put him back deeper in the backfield. The result was a 5.7 ypg average for the rest of the game.

Nice.

Yeah, I read that he was having problems seeing the blocks and holes because he was too close to the line.

I didn't get to see the game.:ohwell: I got my HD setup on Friday and had to work a church dinner all day on Sunday. I managed to see the last 2:30 of the game though.:yay: Kudos to the Skins for running a 5 yard play on 4th and 2.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I think you need to back that up. The 90's were worse. The 70's were close to as bad. The 60's were really bad.

I didn't go back to the 60s. The 70s we had a couple of playoffs and a superbowl (although it was a loss). The 90s we took a superbowl and a couple of playoffs. So far the 00's have been a wash and isn't looking promising. I'm a little obssessed with the the outrageous behavior of the meddling Snyder and his money. He has the wrong formula for a winning team. And it shows in their record thus far. He doesn't give one D@#n about his fans. He cares about the almighty dollar. JKC cared about the team and his fans. It was his life. Snottie cares about the money. I hate that.

PsyOps

Pixelated
ONLY 4.5? That is a pretty damn good average. You have to remember, this was a real game, not Madden.

:fairweatherfan:

Pretty damn good. Not great. He is paid some pretty big bucks to play "Pretty damn good"? As I wrote before... no big plays. No intensity. He's spent a lot of time injured and now runs with timidity. Sorry, I just had bigger expectations from him. Look at his past years. Barely average.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Pretty damn good. Not great. He is paid some pretty big bucks to play "Pretty damn good"? As I wrote before... no big plays. No intensity. He's spent a lot of time injured and now runs with timidity. Sorry, I just had bigger expectations from him. Look at his past years. Barely average.
I believe Portis is ranked pretty dang high in most RB stats. He plays with a lot of intensity running the ball and especially blocking. He missed most of the 06 season but that's about it, I don't know where you're getting he's injured all the time.

Prove me wrong, if you can.

Otter

Nothing to see here
I didn't go back to the 60s.
Too bad, we had some terrible teams, but great entertainment. Sonny letting fly all game long to Mitchell, Taylor and Smith. Got some great wins, but any win was great when your typical record was 4-10, 6-8, 7-7..:lol:
The 70s we had a couple of playoffs and a superbowl (although it was a loss).
The mid to late 70s was some of the dullest football I ever watched with Allen coaching.
He doesn't give one D@#n about his fans. He cares about the almighty dollar. JKC cared about the team and his fans. It was his life. Snottie cares about the money. I hate that.

Can't argue that, as Snyder's own employees refer to their job as working for a marketing company that just happens to own a football team.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I believe Portis is ranked pretty dang high in most RB stats. He plays with a lot of intensity running the ball and especially blocking. He missed most of the 06 season but that's about it, I don't know where you're getting he's injured all the time.

Prove me wrong, if you can.

According to ESPN stats Portis ranks 6th in rushing in '07. In '06 he didn't even rank. 4th in '05 and 8th in '04. Currently he is 9th. Not bad I suppose.

TDs CP was 13th in '07, 41st in '06 and 13th in '05 and didn't rank in '04 and is currently 13th.

I don't feel this intensity you feel. I feel he's an average good-enough-for-government-work kind of runner. I do appreciate his ability to throw some critical blocks. He has been plagued with injuries.

So, does this prove you wrong? No. Does it prove he's a great RB? No. He probably wont be a Hall of Famer (mostly because he's with a losing team). When Portis signed on with the Skins he was the highest paid running back in the NFL. Sorry man, his performance hasn't matched it. Of course it's not surprising and it's not Portis' fault. Snyder thought money would buy a great running back instead of actually getting a great running back. It's like paying a guy with a Toyota Celica a lot of money to beat a guy with a Vette thinking the money will actually make him win.

BuddyLee

Football addict
:pete: Portis gets two touchdowns and almost 100 yards with a 5 yard per carry average and is chopped liver.

Marion Barber gets two touchdowns and barely 60+ yards with a 3.5 yard per carry average and is the next E. Smith.

thurley42

HY;FR
According to ESPN stats Portis ranks 6th in rushing in '07. In '06 he didn't even rank. 4th in '05 and 8th in '04. Currently he is 9th. Not bad I suppose.

TDs CP was 13th in '07, 41st in '06 and 13th in '05 and didn't rank in '04 and is currently 13th.

I don't feel this intensity you feel. I feel he's an average good-enough-for-government-work kind of runner. I do appreciate his ability to throw some critical blocks. He has been plagued with injuries.

So, does this prove you wrong? No. Does it prove he's a great RB? No. He probably wont be a Hall of Famer (mostly because he's with a losing team). When Portis signed on with the Skins he was the highest paid running back in the NFL. Sorry man, his performance hasn't matched it. Of course it's not surprising and it's not Portis' fault. Snyder thought money would buy a great running back instead of actually getting a great running back. It's like paying a guy with a Toyota Celica a lot of money to beat a guy with a Vette thinking the money will actually make him win.

He ranks awful high in Easterns Motor Commercial Apperances as well....