Another Disappointing Dinner Out

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
You can look up all the locations the show has featured here:.

I don't have the equipment, expertise, or recipes to recreate those recipes. :lol: I have always thought a piece on Bert's Drive-In would be cool and right up Guy's alley. 😎
I've been to Broadway Diner a couple of times. I never knew it was on the show! :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ rara avis ~*~
I've been to Broadway Diner a couple of times. I never knew it was on the show! :lol:
I have been to several that have been on the show. One in particular was memorable because a few years ago it was also featured on a Gordon Ramsey makeover show and it was horribly disgusting: The Old Coffeepot Restaurant in New Orleans. They found a dead rodent in the toaster! :jameo: :barf:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have been to several that have been on the show. One in particular was memorable because a few years ago it was also featured on a Gordon Ramsey makeover show and it was horribly disgusting: The Old Coffeepot Restaurant in New Orleans. They found a dead rodent in the toaster! :jameo: :barf:
:barf:

jazz lady

~*~ rara avis ~*~
I alwyas wondered how many of the dives he 'recovers' continue doing well, and how many go back the hell hole they were.

And yes, I'm sure there's a Google for that.....
Thanks @Kyle! The odds don't look very favorable on staying open. You can clean the restaurant but changing the staff culture is another thing and old habits die hard.

I only watched the one episode of '24 Hours To Hell and Back' as I really don't like Mr. Ramsey but I saw the previews and the server we had (Miss Pearl?) was featured. The Old Coffeepot is still open but reviews are mixed.

SailorGirl

Anyone tried Los Guyabos near Spring Ridge Middle School? It gets mostly good to great reviews, so I got take out there about six months ago - beef enchiladas that ended up being topped with shredded lettuce and sour cream. Really not very good and I didn't understand the lettuce on top of an enchilada at all. I ended up throwing most of it away.

So I tried again last week and got the street tacos. The reviews I read were great. The flank steak in these suckers was as dry as a bone - all the sauces they provided didn't help at all. The beans were good but I've had canned that were just as tasty. I love Mexican food I just can't seem to find the right thing to order on their huge menu or maybe I'm going at the wrong time and getting stuff that's leftover from lunch instead of fresh made.

I really want to like this place but so far it's been a huge disappointment. The only saving grace was my cheap sangria and their flan which was delicious.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
PREMO Member
Anyone tried Los Guyabos near Spring Ridge Middle School? It gets mostly good to great reviews, so I got take out there about six months ago - beef enchiladas that ended up being topped with shredded lettuce and sour cream. Really not very good and I didn't understand the lettuce on top of an enchilada at all. I ended up throwing most of it away.

So I tried again last week and got the street tacos. The reviews I read were great. The flank steak in these suckers was as dry as a bone - all the sauces they provided didn't help at all. The beans were good but I've had canned that were just as tasty. I love Mexican food I just can't seem to find the right thing to order on their huge menu or maybe I'm going at the wrong time and getting stuff that's leftover from lunch instead of fresh made.

I really want to like this place but so far it's been a huge disappointment. The only saving grace was my cheap sangria and their flan which was delicious.
I've had them a couple times: to me they taste like Plaza Tolteca and Plaza Azteca. Americanized Mexican. It's ok. It's fine for a decent work group lunch which is usually how I end up there. However one time I had their lunch Huevos Rancheros (I know its normally a breakfast thing). It was awful. First time I sent something back to the kitchen in a long time. Otherwise they're just fine. However, with lettuce and sour cream, etc. I'd avoid getting most Mexican to go, I'd rather eat it hot and fresh, it's almost never good after that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There's a good Mexican place up in Prince Frederick... La Tolteca, I think it's called. And when I'm in town I always meet Belvak and husband at Tequila Grill.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Patron
The key to success seems to be the closer you live to a real city, the better chance of finding locally owned, unique, and great food.

Sat next to a gal on the way San Francisco who was a native. She recommended a burrito shop that she claimed was the absolute best in the city. In a part of town I would have never found myself in otherwise, and it was good and worth the journey. Pretty much a Latino neighborhood.

luvmygdaughters

PREMO Member
There's a good Mexican place up in Prince Frederick... La Tolteca, I think it's called. And when I'm in town I always meet Belvak and husband at Tequila Grill.
Theres one in La Plata too, food is better than most of the mexican places around here.