Are you a good tipper?

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Mikeinsmd said:
I just call em like I see em...... That's the first impression you made on this board in your very first thread. By the posts of others, It would appear I am not alone in my conclusion.

You can change all that by telling us where you work. We may be scoundrels but we're not mean, malicious people. We will give an honest assessment of your services.
:stalker:

XOXO17

Mikeinsmd said:
I just call em like I see em...... That's the first impression you made on this board in your very first thread. By the posts of others, It would appear I am not alone in my conclusion.

You can change all that by telling us where you work. We may be scoundrels but we're not mean, malicious people. We will give an honest assessment of your services.
How was my first post bad? I know a lot of servers and we all get tired of non-tippers or people with bad restaurant etiquette. You don't agree that good service deserves a good tip? You don't agree that you should say please? Or that its ok to sit in a place until 1 am when the place closed at 11pm? People looovve going out to eat,but they don't want to take care of thier server. We remember people too...If you undertipped me last week and you're in again, I will curteous to you,but i will not go out of my way for you.
If you are in someone elses section- i will be sure to warn them about your cheapness.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
I have worked as a server/ bartender as a second job for the last eight years in the same place. I love the service industry as it allows me to interact with people in a way I cannot at my full time job. I do agree that some customers can be a pain but for the most part the good ones overshadow the bad ones. I have regulars who I wait on every week who are like members of my family. It is the attention you give to your customers that brings you good tips. I will gladly give up a table or two in order to give proper attention to a table. You get what you put into it. If you can't handle that then you should get another job.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
XOXO17 said:
How was my first post bad? I know a lot of servers and we all get tired of non-tippers or people with bad restaurant etiquette. You don't agree that good service deserves a good tip? You don't agree that you should say please? Or that its ok to sit in a place until 1 am when the place closed at 11pm? People looovve going out to eat,but they don't want to take care of thier server. We remember people too...If you undertipped me last week and you're in again, I will curteous to you,but i will not go out of my way for you.
If you are in someone elses section- i will be sure to warn them about your cheapness.

If you get that stiffed most of the time then you are in the wrong line of work. Also if you are holding grudges against customers who did not meet the standard % you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. You will learn the longer you know a customer the bigger the tips get.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
XOXO17 said:
Or that its ok to sit in a place until 1 am when the place closed at 11pm?
Do you tell people you're closed? Or do you just expect them to know you want them to leave?

XOXO17

TIGERLILY said:
I have worked as a server/ bartender as a second job for the last eight years in the same place. I love the service industry as it allows me to interact with people in a way I cannot at my full time job. I do agree that some customers can be a pain but for the most part the good ones overshadow the bad ones. I have regulars who I wait on every week who are like members of my family. It is the attention you give to your customers that brings you good tips. I will gladly give up a table or two in order to give proper attention to a table. You get what you put into it. If you can't handle that then you should get another job.
I agree w you--I have regulars who are nice and generous and I have some that are awful. they expect me to ignore others for them..doesn't everyone deserve the same treatment,whether its your first time there or your 80th?

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
XOXO17 said:
I agree w you--I have regulars who are nice and generous and I have some that are awful. they expect me to ignore others for them..doesn't everyone deserve the same treatment,whether its your first time there or your 80th?

Yes everyone should get the same level of quality service but you just said if they don't tip enough that you won't go out of your way for them. You can't cross back and forth across the line. Pick a side and stay there.

XOXO17

TIGERLILY said:
If you get that stiffed most of the time then you are in the wrong line of work. Also if you are holding grudges against customers who did not meet the standard % you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. You will learn the longer you know a customer the bigger the tips get.
I only been stiffed a few times. I mostly get good tips but theres always a few who are cheap. they will even tell you you were great and still leave 10%
Would you go out of your way for the same guy that always leaves 10%

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
XOXO17 said:
closing times are always posted

And there are probably several closing shift duties that have to be done before you leave. If so can't you work on those. If we close at 10pm when i walk in at 9:55 I am planning on eating. I am not leaving until I am done eating. Does your sign say last call for food 9 pm all customers out by 10?

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
XOXO17 said:
I only been stiffed a few times. I mostly get good tips but theres always a few who are cheap. they will even tell you you were great and still leave 10%
Would you go out of your way for the same guy that always leaves 10%

Because maybe he can only afford 10%. What about the guy that gives 30% do you provide valet service for him.

XOXO17

TIGERLILY said:
Yes everyone should get the same level of quality service but you just said if they don't tip enough that you won't go out of your way for them. You can't cross back and forth across the line. Pick a side and stay there.
what i meant is that it doesn't matter how often you eat at a place. If you are a good tipping regular, I will take great care of you, if you're not.....well...
for example-bars are first some first serve right? well some don't get that. They think they should be served first just because they are there every night. what if a new guy is there first? he should be waited on first! thats my point.

XOXO17

TIGERLILY said:
And there are probably several closing shift duties that have to be done before you leave. If so can't you work on those. If we close at 10pm when i walk in at 9:55 I am planning on eating. I am not leaving until I am done eating. Does your sign say last call for food 9 pm all customers out by 10?
yes there are closing duties,but they only take about 45 mins. I've had to wait an extra 2 hours.all my work was done and Im just waiting for them to leave. mind you they were done eating a long time ago.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
XOXO17 said:
closing times are always posted

Oh, yeah! That's the first thing I do when I walk into a restaurant or bar, look for the signs that tell me how to be a good customer. :rolleyes:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
XOXO17 said:
yes there are closing duties,but they only take about 45 mins. I've had to wait an extra 2 hours.all my work was done and Im just waiting for them to leave. mind you they were done eating a long time ago.

Well if it happens alot you should consider an earlier shift or had you thought of maybe conversing with them and find a way to bring up that it's time to go.