Are You A Veteran?

Are you a military veteran?

• Total voters

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I heard a "new one" just now, on the Military Channel: I'd always been told that helicopters flew by "beating the air into submission".

Then, a few moments ago, they said: "Helicopters vibrate so bad, the ground rejects them!" :killingme So true!

PsyOps

Pixelated
I was stationed at Osan AB, in the late 80's, and had a chance to tour the Oriental Brewery, about 15 miles up the road, heading north. Their quality control wasn't the greatest, judging from the perceived alcohol content, from brew to brew! Not one my favorites.

I was at Kwang Ju 89 - 90. A tiny Korean base dropped in the middle of farms. My worst assignment ever. Osan was known well for its abundance of bars, so we (at Kwang Ju) had to come up with our own bragging rights. We have 13 bars; 7 down and 6 back. As if the boredom wasn’t bad enough I happen to be there during the 10th anniversary of the Kwang Ju massacre. Ten years prior students from the University of Kwang Ju protested US presence at the base. It was all in support of sympathy for the north and “unification”. Things got our of hand and the protesters tried to storm the base. Korean security forces opened fire on them and killed dozens. Americans were blamed for the massacre. Ten years later (when I’m there) they formed a huge protest around the base. About a week prior to the protests several airman were brutally attacked and one was nearly killed by some locals outside the base. We were restricted to the base for almost the rest of my tour. I think it for about 4 months. It was like being in prison.

GopherM

Darwin was right
:yikes:
You must be old.

My Dad flew the P2 in Vietnam.

I am past my prime. The first squadron I was in was scheduled to go to Viet Nam but just prior to deploying we were decomissioned instead. We were the last active duty east coast squadron still flying P2Vs. I ferried several of them out of Maine to reserve squadrons that would still fly them for a few more years.

San Miguel gave me the screaming Mimi's for near 24 hours in 1989. :buddies:

:killingme....:whistle:

I am past my prime. The first squadron I was in was scheduled to go to Viet Nam but just prior to deploying we were decomissioned instead. We were the last active duty east coast squadron still flying P2Vs. I ferried several of them out of Maine to reserve squadrons that would still fly them for a few more years.

My era.

Attachments

• a_TGYC_5in_Patch02.jpg
    a_TGYC_5in_Patch02.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 75
E

EmptyTimCup

geez the prototypes were built in 1945 ......

P-2 Neptune

nice record though ...

"Truculent Turtle"

The third production P2V-1 was chosen for a record-setting mission, ostensibly to test crew endurance and long-range navigation but also for publicity purposes: to display the capabilities of the Navy's latest patrol bomber. With time, the aircraft has come to be called "Truculent Turtle," but, in fact, its nickname was simply "The Turtle," which was painted on the aircraft's nose (along with a cartoon of a turtle smoking a pipe pedaling a device attached to a propeller).

Loaded with fuel in extra tanks fitted in practically every spare space in the aircraft, the Turtle set out from Perth, Australia to the United States. With a crew of four (and a nine-month-old gray kangaroo, a gift from Australia for the Washington, D.C. zoo) the plane set off on 9 September 1946, with a RATO (rocket-assisted takeoff). 2½ days later, the Turtle touched down in Columbus, Ohio, 11,236.6 mi (18,083.6 km) from its starting point. It was the longest unrefueled flight made to that point - 4,000 mi (6,400 km) longer than the USAF's B-29 Superfortress record. This would stand as the absolute unrefueled distance record until 1962 (beaten by a USAF B-52 Stratofortress), and would remain as a piston-engined record until 1986 when Dick Rutan's Voyager would break it in the process of circumnavigating the globe.

:popcorn:

GopherM

Darwin was right
geez the prototypes were built in 1945 ......

P-2 Neptune

nice record though ...

:popcorn:

I've never been up in one for 2 1/2 days but most of our patrols were on the order of 16 hours. The longest I was up was for around 18 hours. The bomber guys in WWII have my full sympathy and understanding. Whether your being shot at or not that's a long time to spend in an aircraft not made for moving around in that is not pressurized, air conditioned or heated that well and the seats are made of metal with thin foam cushions that pretty much become usless after about 30 minutes. Those guys flew high enough they had to worry about freezing to death. We stayed low and in the summer it was extremely hot inside the fuselage.

Animal

I eat red meat
I've never been up in one for 2 1/2 days but most of our patrols were on the order of 16 hours. The longest I was up was for around 18 hours. The bomber guys in WWII have my full sympathy and understanding. Whether your being shot at or not that's a long time to spend in an aircraft not made for moving around in that is not pressurized, air conditioned or heated that well and the seats are made of metal with thin foam cushions that pretty much become usless after about 30 minutes. Those guys flew high enough they had to worry about freezing to death. We stayed low and in the summer it was extremely hot inside the fuselage.
And to bring it a little closer to home -
After a well-earned publicity tour, the Turtle was used by the NATC at Patuxent River as a flying test bed for advanced avionics systems and eventually returned to standard configuration. The Turtle was retired with honors in 1953 and put on display in Norfolk, Virginia.
Link

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I was at Kwang Ju 89 - 90. A tiny Korean base dropped in the middle of farms. My worst assignment ever. Osan was known well for its abundance of bars, so we (at Kwang Ju) had to come up with our own bragging rights. We have 13 bars; 7 down and 6 back. As if the boredom wasn’t bad enough I happen to be there during the 10th anniversary of the Kwang Ju massacre. Ten years prior students from the University of Kwang Ju protested US presence at the base. It was all in support of sympathy for the north and “unification”. Things got our of hand and the protesters tried to storm the base. Korean security forces opened fire on them and killed dozens. Americans were blamed for the massacre. Ten years later (when I’m there) they formed a huge protest around the base. About a week prior to the protests several airman were brutally attacked and one was nearly killed by some locals outside the base. We were restricted to the base for almost the rest of my tour. I think it for about 4 months. It was like being in prison.

Thank gosh we never had any uprisings when I was there! I went on a tour up to the DMZ, and we had to sign a release form, agreeing that if anything happened to us - got shot, maimed, or injured, the US forces were not to be held responsible. Weird place, as you could "feel" the tenseness on both sides of the line.

wmburdette

9/11 - Never Forget!
USN 1961 to 1981. P2's, P3's, P5's, S2's. ...and ASW Analysis Officer for PATWINGSPAC and USS Enterprise. Command and Control Watch Officer '74 - '77 and '78 - '81.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
I'm one of those TD, AX, AT types...:killingme

Boot Camp: Orlando,FL - Jan 1980​

US Naval Academy
NAS Oceana, VA (FASOTRAGRULANT - A-6, F-14 Flight Sim)
Millington, TN (times 2) (TD 'A', AVA, AVIC-7) (Not a 'rent-a-crow)
Moffett Field, CA (VP-31)
Barbers Point, HI (VP-17)
Agana, Guan (VQ-1)
Whidbey Island, WA (NAMTRADET, VQ-1)​

1980-2000​

Last edited:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Anyone have any tales about their tours in W. Germany? I loved the place! I took a few classes to learn to speak their language, and tried my best, but still messed it up badly. They loved you for trying though! :lol:

I had a GREAT time at Oktoberfest, in Munich! Twice!

The Rhine Aflame cruises were awesome as well! :buddies:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Anyone have any tales about their tours in W. Germany? I loved the place! I took a few classes to learn to speak their language, and tried my best, but still messed it up badly. They loved you for trying though! :lol:

I had a GREAT time at Oktoberfest, in Munich! Twice!

The Rhine Aflame cruises were awesome as well! :buddies:

My wife (now my ex) and I, and a few friends took a Rhine Aflame trip once. It was really awesome, non-stop action. But there was this guy who, not even 30 minutes into the trip, was :otter: We were all watching him instead of the fireworks. It looked like he was trying to get his zipper down and pee overboard. We realized we were right when he turned around and his pants were soaked. Drunkeness and zippers don't work well apparently.

Another thing that was funny was my wife's first language growing up was German (her mom is German). Then her dad go stationed back in the states at about the age of 6 or 7 and she started learning English. She did not learn the Proper German, she learned slang. She never forgot how to speak it though. When we got stationed at Ramstein she would go to different places and speak to the locals in German but it would be the slang with an American accent. She always got the weirdest looks as if to say how could an American speak slang like that?

One time she was getting her hair done and the German girls were all talking in German and bashing the Americans and talking about stupid they are spending all their money, etc... They didn't realize my wife understood every word. When she left she started talking to them in German, and told them she understood every word. She didn't leave a tip and never went there again.

Last edited:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
My wife (now my ex) and I, and a few friends took a Rhine Aflame trip once. It was really awesome, non-stop action. But there was this guy who, not even 30 minutes into the trip, was :otter: We were all watching him instead of the fireworks. It looked like he was trying to get his zipper down and pee overboard. We realized we were right when he turned around and his pants were soaked. Drunkeness and zippers don't work well apparently.

Another thing that was funny was my wife's first language growing up was German (her mom is German). Then her dad go stationed back in the states at about the age of 6 or 7 and she started learning English. She did not learn the Proper German, she learned slang. She never forgot how to speak it though. When we got stationed at Ramstein she would go to different places and speak to the locals in German but it would be the slang with an American accent. She always got the weirdest looks as if to say how could an American speak slang like that?

One time she was getting her hair done and the German girls were all talking in German and bashing the Americans and talking about stupid they are spending all their money, etc... They didn't realize my wife understood every word. When she left she started talking to them in German, and told them she understood every word. She didn't leave a tip and never went there again.

I did take 2 tours on the Rhine Aflame cruises, as well. Luckily, that sad event(or, close to it, didn't occcur, :lol:) Folks did get juiced up, but somehow I don't remember them being idiots! What was awesome(Oh Yeah!),
was that someone decided to start singing "America The Beautiful", as well as the "Star Spangled Banner" , while we were onboard, and you have no idea how wonderful it felt, being an American, floating down the river Rhine, singing those songs! Everyone, raising their glasses, wine, or beer, just getting off on the moment!

Some things, you just never forget! :patriot:

E

EmptyTimCup

I was at Kwang Ju 89 - 90. A tiny Korean base dropped in the middle of farms. My worst assignment ever. Osan was known well for its abundance of bars, so we (at Kwang Ju) had to come up with our own bragging rights. We have 13 bars; 7 down and 6 back.

I was stationed north of the Injim River Camp Greaves ....

we have to take a 30 min bus ride to get close to local action (besides the EM Club outside the front gate)

but SonyuRi had clubs up and down the street (as well as RC-4) ... we always hated the Navy coming into port down south, because the buses would be lined up to take the girls south on TDY for a few weeks, striping the town bare .... :popcorn:

nice write up:

1st Battalion, 506th Infantry Regiment (Air Assault)
"Red Currahee/Stands Alone"

The 1st Battalion, 506th Infantry was reactivated on 15 April 1987 at Camp Greaves, Republic of Korea (with A Company at Camp Liberty Bell), where it was assigned to the 2nd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division. Its mission was to man the guard posts along the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ), provide quick reaction forces, and patrol the United Nations Command MACHA "B" sector of the DMZ during the harsh Korean winter months of December through February. During the other 9 months of the year, the Battalion trained and remained ready to relieve the DMZ battalion in place in the event of an armed contingency with the North Koreans. In September of 1991, DMZ responsibilities were transferred to the ROKA 1st Infantry Division, and A Company was relocated to Camp Giant in 1992.

For many years the 1st Battalion, 506th Infantry Regiment (Air Assault) was one of the most forward deployed combat units in the United States Army. Camp Greaves was located across Freedom Bridge, about 2 miles from the Demilitarized Zone in South Korea. Four battalions of the 2nd Infantry Division patrolled the US Sector of the DMZ, and the 506th Infantry was tasked during the winter time because of its close location. There were 3 phases to the "Mission," patrolling, guardpost duty, and training.

T-hour, T-day, 1st Battalion, 506th Infantry (Currahee) secures enclaves, uploads, and attacks to clear NW portion of TAA to prevent enemy interdiction of DISCOM and Aviation Brigade TAA occupation. On order, reinforces JSA and secures artillery logistics assets, 2nd Infantry Division Main, and Aviation Brigade to protect critical assets and evacuate noncombatants; Be prepared to attack or defend to achieve assigned missions.

The 1-506th Infantry stood alone as the only American combat force north of the Imjin River, permanently stationed less than three kilometers from the Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ). During their one-year tour, Currahee soldiers eventually grew used to sleeping at night against the blare of North Korean propaganda loud-speakers.

Unlike stateside units, the 506th Infantry had the advantage of a continuous training cycle to refine their warfighting ability. The Unification Bridge over the Imjin River was the primary route from South Korea up to Panmunjom on the DMZ, where meetings and negotiations between North and South Korea took place. This bridge was symbolic to the Korean people of ultimate reunification of the two Koreas, and it was guarded by the 506th Infantry.

we were not Air Assault Status as a unit .... guys rotated in and out that had been in the 101st previously ...

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
USMC 1986-1991 Avation Ordnance at Andrews AFB, VMFA 321 Hells Angels.

:fixed: ( no "i" )

:high5:, brother

1983-1990 Aviation Ordnance (6531) FA-18
VFA-125 Rough Raiders NAS LeMoore, Ca
VFMA-122 Crusaders MCAS Beaufort, SC (WestPAC in '90)

Oh yeah and thanks to all of you who have served and specially to those currently serving. :patriot:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I was stationed north of the Injim River Camp Greaves ....

we have to take a 30 min bus ride to get close to local action (besides the EM Club outside the front gate)

but SonyuRi had clubs up and down the street (as well as RC-4) ... we always hated the Navy coming into port down south, because the buses would be lined up to take the girls south on TDY for a few weeks, striping the town bare .... :popcorn:

nice write up:

we were not Air Assault Status as a unit .... guys rotated in and out that had been in the 101st previously ...
I was a Scout, served in Recon Platoons, and Armored Cav Platoons and yet I was one of the VERY few in my MOS that never made it to Korea.. It was almost career progression to get your Imjim Scout badge/ qual before making it to the senior NCO ranks.

Never made it to Korea, nor the National Training Center, Ft Irwin.

Spent almost all of my time in Germany.

Which puts a new spin on training. Driving your tanks, and doing mock battles out in the populace, in the villages and towns.. Nothing cooler than parking in the driveway of a house in your Bradley or Tank and the housefrau coming out in the morning with coffee and pastries.. or little kids bringing you beer to trade for your c-rats, or MREs.

Did two or three rotations into the BIG training areas every year, but the best training was out and about in the German countryside.

Worked with the Green Berets out of Bad Tolz for demolition training, and they would come out with us to our "big training events" to train us, and for us to show them how the regular army worked. Want to have fun? Ask a green beret to drive with blackout lights.. and hold on tight.

I had a group of young men and women (The Singl Team) adopt me my first tour over there as an adult. We partied EVERY week-end, and over holidays I would stay with them for a couple of weeks. They took me to places that were off limits to Americans, and showed me Disco LIVED!! At least in Germany at the time (early 80's).