Bad economy

I do feel for the independents.....:yay:

It's not just the independent truckers feeling it... it's industry wide. And it involves all aspects of the construction industry. On Saturday, I took my fuel can to the local station to get diesel for my skid loader so we could do some yard work around the house. $25 got me less than 5 gallons. Now multiply that cost for fuel requirments for larger machines such as dozers, excavators, loaders, etc.

AndyMarquisLIVE

I'll agree with the annapolis part. But I have stock in oil companies via my 401K. According to my last statement, they're doing exactly what they are supposed to, turn a profit.

I'm glad you're happy about that, because they're screwing the rest of us to get that profit. :nomoney:

T

toppick08

It's not just the independent truckers feeling it... it's industry wide. And it involves all aspects of the construction industry. On Saturday, I took my fuel can to the local station to get diesel for my skid loader so we could do some yard work around the house. $25 got me less than 5 gallons. Now multiply that cost for fuel requirments for larger machines such as dozers, excavators, loaders, etc.

agreed.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
The only affect I've experienced is the price of gas. Driving 130 miles a day, It's costing about 1/3 more to fill up. That's not W's fault and I know this. I am trying to food shop a lil smarter vs. eating out so often but that's tough too when you're single and wimmins like to eat. :banghead:

T

toppick08

The only affect I've experienced is the price of gas. Driving 130 miles a day, It's costing about 1/3 more to fill up. That's not W's fault and I know this. I am trying to food shop a lil smarter vs. eating out so often but that's tough too when you're single and wimmins like to eat. :banghead:

:lmao:

Hopefully, by July 4'th you can fill 'em up on 'mater sandwiches.....

itsbob

I bowl overhand

I was thinking of getting a 275 gallon tank to put on the property so i can get off road diesel (home heating oil).

It's only about $2 to $2.50 a gallon. You can't use it in a truck or a car, but you can damn well use it in a bulldozer or a tractor.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
No real change for me, other than the obvious price increases in gas and food, but I still buy it.

But nothing has changed for my purchasing power. If I want something, I'll get it. Luckily, there's not too much I want for, nor much that I lack.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
I'm glad you're happy about that, because they're screwing the rest of us to get that profit. :nomoney:

I know everybody is blaming "Big oil" but I still don't see the logic behind it. From what I've read, oil compaines hover around a 9% profit margin. That's not much. On the other hand average tax on a gallon of gasoline AT THE PUMP is 47 cents/gal. That doesn't include the taxes incurred (and passed on to the customer) by the oil company in purchasing, refining, storage, and transportation!

I am trying to food shop a lil smarter vs. eating out so often
Yep... you and a considerable number of other folks thus affecting the services industry resulting in lay-offs, reduced hours, less call for goods and supplies which will in turn affect that industry. And don't forget the fact that less patrons "splitting" the cost of overhead will result in higher prices overall as the businesses will have to recoupe their costs somehow in order to stay out of the red. We've yet to really see/feel the fallout... but it's coming.

AndyMarquisLIVE

:rolleyes: As a school system employee don't you have a pension plan, 401(k) or 403(b)? If so, those oil company profits are making money for you.

When I was driving the 12mpg rust bucket, the price of gas was offsetting any money I was making from them. :lol:

I'm spending more now on the new car, but it's worth it because I'm not putting $200/month into repairs and I have Air Conditioning now. :yay:

I was thinking of getting a 275 gallon tank to put on the property so i can get off road diesel (home heating oil).

It's only about $2 to $2.50 a gallon. You can't use it in a truck or a car, but you can damn well use it in a bulldozer or a tractor.

What, you gonna drive a bulldozer to work ?? :lmao:

Right now, today, I have no issues. I don't eat out as often, and try to consolidate my driving trips, but that's about it. However, I am concerned about a few years from now. I'm looking to retire in another 2 years. My 401k isn't doing as well as it could be due to the falling dollar, my income from pension will be fixed, prices are continuing to rise and I am not entirely sure I will be able to retire with very much comfort margin. The thought of heating in the winter a few years from now scares me.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
What, you gonna drive a bulldozer to work ?? :lmao:

Right now, today, I have no issues. I don't eat out as often, and try to consolidate my driving trips, but that's about it. However, I am concerned about a few years from now. I'm looking to retire in another 2 years. My 401k isn't doing as well as it could be due to the falling dollar, my income from pension will be fixed, prices are continuing to rise and I am not entirely sure I will be able to retire with very much comfort margin. The thought of heating in the winter a few years from now scares me.

:doubledipper:

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
I can live within my means but would have tons more fun if I had a part time job. Company raises don't come near what has happened to prices this year.

But I love my weekends free and don't think any pt job will let me work Mon., Tues. and Wed. so I choose to live within my means :shrug:

K

kris31280

I have to search harder to find decent air travel prices...

But that probably has more to do with NWA having a lockdown on Minneapolis than it has to do with the rising fuel prices.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I know everybody is blaming "Big oil" but I still don't see the logic behind it. From what I've read, oil compaines hover around a 9% profit margin. That's not much. On the other hand average tax on a gallon of gasoline AT THE PUMP is 47 cents/gal. That doesn't include the taxes incurred (and passed on to the customer) by the oil company in purchasing, refining, storage, and transportation!
See, and that's the part that people don't seem to understand - OPEC controls oil prices and supply, not oil companies. Then our state and federal government tacks on their percentage.

It was embarrassing to watch Dick Durbin and Co. lambaste the oil company execs like he didn't have a friggin' clue how this stuff works. The media just puts it out there like it's the truth, and dumb Americans lap it up. I've lost count of how many seemingly intelligent people I've heard bust on Bush because of *his* oil prices.

Mateo

Since my wife and I are retired and I work PT, we have some money coming in, but like everyone else we have learned to cut back on luxuries and a minimum on the necessities.
We have saved to go to the St MAry's Crab Festival and I did go see the new Indiana Jones movie last weekend but at $8.50, I think I should have waited for the DVD.
We are making do because we have to, but consideing the glut this country has gone through since the 60's, maybe learning to be frugal again ain't such a bad thing.