Bad economy

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I have to search harder to find decent air travel prices...

But that probably has more to do with NWA having a lockdown on Minneapolis than it has to do with the rising fuel prices.

These guys?

Attachments

• nwa2.jpg
    nwa2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 64

bcp

In My Opinion
I was not able to build the mother-in-law addition on the house.. now she will have to go live with another of her daughters, far away from me,

God Bless you George Bush, You will forever be in my gratitude for your poor handling of our economy.

C

CalvertNewbie

I'm definitely combining errands to save gas and I've seen a big jump in the grocery bill. We don't get to go out to dinner or lunch as often on the weekends. Things are tight, but we have and can live tighter if necessary.
It is making us turn down some travel opportunities.

:yeahthat: We're eating out less often and I'm trying to combine errands because any place I need to go (other than the supermarket) is a 30 minute drive from our house in the sticks of Calvert. I'll either go to California or Waldorf to go to Target, BJ's and Lowes on the same day. Just takes a little better planning on my part.

The other thing is.....we're thinking of trading in my Jeep for something better on gas but that's still up in the air. :bawl: Jeeps were never known for good gas mileage but when we bought it in 2006 it wasn't a big issue. Filling up for $70, 2-3 times a week, now that IS an issue.

K

kris31280

These guys?
... sorry...
Northwest Airlines.

Blame it on years of living in their hub and my father being "officially" a retiree (I guess that's what they call you when you go on strike and they replace you with scab labor and the company and union finally come to an agreement about the now displaced workers.)

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Since my wife and I are retired and I work PT, we have some money coming in, but like everyone else we have learned to cut back on luxuries and a minimum on the necessities.
We have saved to go to the St MAry's Crab Festival and I did go see the new Indiana Jones movie last weekend but at $8.50, I think I should have waited for the DVD.
We are making do because we have to, but consideing the glut this country has gone through since the 60's, maybe learning to be frugal again ain't such a bad thing.
I have to ask and maybe I am really out of touch but do you really have to save up to attend a crab festival? How much is it?

And $8.50 for a movie is cause to consider buying a DVD?

C

CalvertNewbie

I was not able to build the mother-in-law addition on the house.. now she will have to go live with another of her daughters, far away from me,

God Bless you George Bush, You will forever be in my gratitude for your poor handling of our economy.

So something good has come of this after all??!! :killingme

AndyMarquisLIVE

See, and that's the part that people don't seem to understand - OPEC controls oil prices and supply, not oil companies. Then our state and federal government tacks on their percentage.

Now, that's the word that'll set me off. :burning:

Friggin' bastards know there's a demand and they refuse to increase production.

Heard something interesting on Live with Robin Meade though, apparently people are driving over 4.1% LESS this year than at this time last year. But, gas useage has only decreased by less than 1%.

They also had a report that some police department somewhere in the MW started using golf carts instead of patrol cars. The record gas prices are starting to have an impact on everyone. Usually, in the summer months, production goes up and gas prices come down. Apparently, that won't be the case this year. And it looks like "driving less" is having no impact, whatsoever. Either way, we're all along for the ride.

AndyMarquisLIVE

:lol:

DVD's are $20 nowadays at Wal-Mart. Friggin' $25-$30 at Blockbuster. At this point, going to the movie theater is cheaper than buying a DVD. But, I normally just wait for the movie to Showtime anyways.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
I have to ask and maybe I am really out of touch but do you really have to save up to attend a crab festival? How much is it?

I can see that. 2 people and a bag of popcorn and you're over $20 to see the movie once. Wait for the DVD to go on sale and you pick it up for 10 bucks and watch it any time you want without your feet sticking to the floor. Plus you can pause the movie while you make out, or simply watch it again the next day after you pick up the trail of clothes. Try THAT in a movie theater! :lmao:

The only affect I've experienced is the price of gas. Driving 130 miles a day, It's costing about 1/3 more to fill up. That's not W's fault and I know this. I am trying to food shop a lil smarter vs. eating out so often but that's tough too when you're single and wimmins like to eat. :banghead:
Hey Baja... what about boating? Will you be changing your summer boating habits this year?

sockgirl77

I had to give up the daycare that I LOVE because I cannot continue to drive 20 miles out of the way to take my kids there. I was putting 80 miles on my car every day and I only work .8 miles from my house. But, I found it impossible to find an affordable home closer to her. Luckily, I found someone to come to my home to watch my kids. I'm hoping that it works out because it really seems too perfect. :praysforme:

KWAK

I can't say that I do much differently now as I did before. I'm paying $600 per month in gas to get to and from work - and I b!tch about it, of course, but I gotta work! I'm in the process of looking for something closer to home, but the price of gas isn't the main factor in that decision. (although it is part of it). My general rule at the grocery store is that if I don't need it, and it's not on sale, I don't buy it. I try and do the coupon thing as well. I can walk to Nick's, so as others have said, I try and buy bulk, too. We eat out less.

Times are tighter, and yeah, it sucks, but this, too, shall pass. I'm not about to get kicked out of my house over it!

K

kris31280

:whoosh:

Hooray for unions!:sarcasm:
:lmao:

:blinkblinktwirltwirl: I'm a strawberry blonde... so I sometimes get my blonde moments :lmao:

I was raised to respect unions... my grandfather was a union man, my father was a union man :shrug:

Mateo

And $8.50 for a movie is cause to consider buying a DVD?[/Q
No you are not out of touch at all. We just are a little more careful how we spend our money. That is not to say you are not, but we have seen what unfettered credit card lines have done to the economy as well as spending like there's no tomorrow. If we save up for the crab festival, it is because we want to make sure that we can pay for what we want instead of putting it on plastic. If you think there is something wrong with that, then you are entitled to your opinion. As for the movie, sure a DVD would cost a lot more, but I can watch it at my own time without paying the other exorbitant prices if I want a soda, water, popcorn or candy.
Call me cheap...I prefer frugal.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Hey Baja... what about boating? Will you be changing your summer boating habits this year?
I changed that habit last October when I sold it. :lmao: I'm now riding a 42 mpg Harley.

Seriously though, I was going to keep it but someone bought it at the last minute and now I'm glad they did. I will be honest and say I didn't let gas keep me off the water before and wouldn't have this year either.

I am thinking about getting a smaller, center console to do some fishing & recreating.