• Kirk Hammett

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Yngieway Malmsteen

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Somewhat off topic, my son went to see The Who in Philly last night. Says it took Pete Townsend 20 minutes to remember he's a guitar player.

Tomcat

Anytime
I don't know who resurected this thread, or how I missed it the first time around. Having seen and heard Danny Gatton play, yes he deserves to be up there on the list. 5 pages before Duane Allman was mentioned, and only in that one post. 13 pages befor Roy Clark (another Southern Maryland player) was mentioned. Gotta go with Clapton, Steve Vai, Chet, Les Paul and most of the others that have been mentioned. I could throw in a few more not mentioned from different musical generes like Paul Simon, Maury Mendelson sp? (Jim Croce's guitar player) Dave Mason (especially his 12 string) the list could go on...........

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Danny Gatton

Having seen him three times, I would put him in my top three.

I thought of Slash as more of a songwriter and riff-maker - the intro to Sweet Child of Mine is classic. A good lead player but not jaw-dropping amazing. In that sense, he may have been the opposite of Gatton, who mostly reinterpreted others' material.

Eddie Van Halen seemed to rely on his collaborative partners to bring out his gifts, often modeling their personalities in his playing and songwriting. These sounded angry and aggressive during DLR's tenure.

While I love Steve Vai's work, he needs either a collaborator or a strong producer to temper his artistic excesses.

And I second the comments by Voter2002 about Zappa.

Tomcat

Anytime
I read somewhere that he lived in Anne Arundel County. Do you know if that's true? He was born in Virginia.

I've heard he lived in the Forrest Park area of Waldorf in his younger days, and may have played at Norris' Tavern in Hollywood (now the Hole in the Wall)

dachsom

I can play a guitar too...but I shouldn't be on the list either...lol

He was #21 out of 100 and was influenced by many of the previous listed artists, Atkins, Hendrix, etc. His riffs in "And I Love Her" and "Let It Be" were great! He played much better than either Lennon and/McCartney.Just my opinion.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
He was #21 out of 100 and was influenced by many of the previous listed artists, Atkins, Hendrix, etc. His riffs in "And I Love Her" and "Let It Be" were great! He played much better than either Lennon and/McCartney.Just my opinion.

See, I would argue that the real guitar player in that band was McCartney. In wanting to give GH support, I find that in the examples I wanted to use of his playing, Paul wrote the music.

Such as;

:larry:

dachsom

See, I would argue that the real guitar player in that band was McCartney. In wanting to give GH support, I find that in the examples I wanted to use of his playing, Paul wrote the music.

Such as;

:larry:

You are correct. I guess I should have referred to his solo career also. Either way, they were both great!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The Hendrix vote surprises me. CW says that he's the king but, as a layman, I've never seen it. I always thought guitar guys just worshiped him because that was the thing to do, and not for any real reason.

What's the criteria? Technique, originality, or pure entertainment? Also Jeff Beck and Stevie Ray are missing from the list.

(I know this is an old thread, but still fun to discuss.)

The Hendrix vote surprises me. CW says that he's the king but, as a layman, I've never seen it. I always thought guitar guys just worshiped him because that was the thing to do, and not for any real reason.

What's the criteria? Technique, originality, or pure entertainment? Also Jeff Beck and Stevie Ray are missing from the list.

(I know this is an old thread, but still fun to discuss.)

This brings tears to my eyes...:larry: