Sonny votes:
Steve Vai
Herman Li
John Petrucci
Claudio Sanchez
Rodrigo y Gabriella

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
Not many could understand or like his songs, but Frank Zappa would be my choice. If you cut out the weirdness of his lyrics and just listened to the man play...he was the best - a musical genius!

From the Top 100 list:

Frank Zappa
Frank Zappa may have been the King of Weird, but his guitar playing was leagues ahead of most of his contemporaries. His deep understanding of all musical styles allowed him to effortlessly change a tune from blues to reggae to jazz to heavy metal on the fly - and he required that his band members be able to follow wherever he lead. His sometimes complex arrangements showcased unending creativity. Listen to the disc Zoot Allures for some of his best playing, particularly the instrumental "Black Napkins." Besides, the guy who gave Steve Vai his first pro gig must have known what he was doing, right?

ImnoMensa

The best local guitarist I ever heard was Kenny Wathen. Old timers in Southern Maryland will remember him when he played with Louis Knott.

The best Regional was Danny Gatton I used to go to the Crossroads in Bladensburg to hear him.

Roy Clark was good, but no one could hold a light to Chet Atkins.
He not only played great but made it look so easy when he did it.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I never got the chance to see him play. I use to work with his wife Jan though. A very sweet lady. :yay:
I only saw him the one time and like I said it is something I will NEVER forget. I've seen a lot of great guitar players in my time, but he absolutely blew me away. Especially the part where he played with a beer bottle and a towel covering the neck of the guitar. :shocking: :lol: :cheers:

I think my vote would be for Carlos Santana.
Probably a close second or third in my book. I've never seen him in person but he's definitely one of the great ones. :yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Best...

The best local guitarist I ever heard was Kenny Wathen. Old timers in Southern Maryland will remember him when he played with Louis Knott.

The best Regional was Danny Gatton I used to go to the Crossroads in Bladensburg to hear him.

Roy Clark was good, but no one could hold a light to Chet Atkins.
He not only played great but made it look so easy when he did it.

...I ever saw is Tom Gattis, late of Deuce and Tension. Everyone else, everyone, is just pissing around compared to him. He does rhythms with more good #### to them than most people's lead playing.

Lilypad

True dat

Not many could understand or like his songs, but Frank Zappa would be my choice. If you cut out the weirdness of his lyrics and just listened to the man play...he was the best - a musical genius!

From the Top 100 list:

but he suffered from bromidrosis:lmao:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Bass players...

OK, how about a shorter list. The less famous Best Bass Players.

Victor Wooten - Bela Fleck & The Flecktones

:yay: I've seen them in concert 2 or 3 times. He and his brother Future Man are absolutely amazing. :yahoo: And I can't say enough about Bela other than :notworthy - absolutely phenomenal!

Other ones my list (and *slightly* weighted towards jazz musicians):

Stanley Clarke
Marcus Miller

And the jazz bass players dream team has been formed. I just got a flyer in the mail yesterday from Wolf Trap for their summer concerts. Victor Wooten, Stanley Clarke, and Marcus Miller performing together as 'Thunder!' on August 16th. I MUST GO!!! :yahoo:

Lilypad

And the jazz bass players dream team has been formed. I just got a flyer in the mail yesterday from Wolf Trap for their summer concerts. Victor Wooten, Stanley Clarke, and Marcus Miller performing together as 'Thunder!' on August 16th. I MUST GO!!! :yahoo:

The original dream team-Return to Forever-Chick Corea, bassist Stanley Clarke, guitarist Al Di Meola and drummer Lenny White!:yahoo:one of the most influential groups of the 70s.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The original dream team-Return to Forever-Chick Corea, bassist Stanley Clarke, guitarist Al Di Meola and drummer Lenny White!:yahoo:one of the most influential groups of the 70s.

Awesome! :clap: I have the original album put out in the early 70's but I need to find and get the ones after that where the 4 of them played together. I hope they tour around here cause I'd move heaven and earth to see them. :yay:

T

Toreadoralpha

Sounds like a must see to me as well. Just hope I'm in town!

I just had a vision of being handed a CD of Keb Mo and Robert Cray soon... very soon... maybe even this very weekend...:yahoo:

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Billy Cobham, Mark Nauseef, Carl Palmer, Narada Michael Walden,
Bonzo, Ian Paice.........Just to name a few inspirational percussionists

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Sounds like a must see to me as well. Just hope I'm in town!
I will guarantee I WILL be in town that weekend. :yay:

I just signed up at Chick Corea's website to be notified of the tour dates. :clap:

I just had a vision of being handed a CD of Keb Mo and Robert Cray soon... very soon... maybe even this very weekend...:yahoo:
:doh: But it's only two songs. :razz: Okay, onto the top of my to-do list this goes. :lol:

Buddy Rich
:yay: I think I've told this to you (or at least to someone else on here :lol: ) but I saw him perform down at St. Mary's College in the late '70s. Absolutely AWESOME. :yahoo:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Yup! It was me!
I was in the third row !
:yahoo:

Good, I wasn't losing it. :lol: Great concert although I wasn't nearly as close as you were. Do you remember him stopping the concert because the kids were so rowdy and saying something to the effect 'get the eff out if you aren't here to listen to my music'? You could have heard a PIN drop after that. :lmao: