Big MVA Fee Increase

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
NY, same then and now. I used to beach cast when a school of blues and stripers came thru, no limit, everyone walked away with more than they could carry.

I'd take the boat out on Moriches Bay. There were some tidal sand areas perfect for dragging a hand clam rake. No permits needed. Go out at night and use a flashlight to spot crabs swimming on the top, just scoop them up.

All changed now. Salt permit needed, clamming prohibited, no night crabbing.... Really glad I could do all those things back then.
Same. Late 70s-early 80s... Point Lookout for Blues.

Hijinx

It's been a long time since I saw a blue fish, Where did they go.?
Used to dig mannose with a spade on low tide, the clam rigs killed them all off.
Used to pick up oysters off Heron island. The island is gone now.

OccamsRazor

There aren't enough cars on the road using Historic plates daily to make a difference in the cost of registration.
If the registration was not so expensive most wouldn't even get historic plates for a car that sits in the garage 90% of the time.
Agree to disagree. Also, I don't know how much you actually get out on the road BUT, there are PLENTY of daily driver and work vehicles tagged Historic. I honestly see DOZENS every day in my little area. I can imagine there are quite a few. Seems that multiplied out, they account for quite a lot of lost revenue in registration fees.

glhs837

Power with Control
Agree to disagree. Also, I don't know how much you actually get out on the road BUT, there are PLENTY of daily driver and work vehicles tagged Historic. I honestly see DOZENS every day in my little area. I can imagine there are quite a few. Seems that multiplied out, they account for quite a lot of lost revenue in registration fees.

Dozens? As in more than 24 a day? Do you drive for a living and where do you drive?

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I really dont get the whole HIstoric Plate thing.

What benefit, that outweighs the restrictions, could it possibly provide?

If memory serves correctly, they're only allowed to be driven Sundays and Holidays and if you get in an accident Insurance won't pay if you are violating the restrictions. :sshrug:

OccamsRazor

If memory serves correctly, they're only allowed to be driven Sundays and Holidays and if you get in an accident Insurance won't pay if you are violating the restrictions. :sshrug:
Simply put... the fees are much lower for registration. Used to be $51 as compared to ~$150-200. Now, the fee jumped to $91 for Historic.
Also, when registering for Historic, the owner signs a document attesting that they will only drive the vehicle "occasionally" and not use it as an everyday driver and never for work purposes. Supposed to be used for Sunday drives, car repair appointments, and car shows.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Simply put... the fees are much lower for registration. Used to be $51 as compared to ~$150-200. Now, the fee jumped to $91 for Historic.
Also, when registering for Historic, the owner signs a document attesting that they will only drive the vehicle "occasionally" and not use it as an everyday driver and never for work purposes. Supposed to be used for Sunday drives, car repair appointments, and car shows.
The risk/reward hardly seems worth it.

OccamsRazor

Risk?? What risk? There is ZERO enforcement for it.
As far as insurance goes, my guess is that the same people who are scamming the MVA are also the same type to not give a crap about insurance or damages if there is an accident.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Risk?? What risk? There is ZERO enforcement for it.
As far as insurance goes, my guess is that the same people who are scamming the MVA are also the same type to not give a crap about insurance or damages if there is an accident.
You can always volunteer to photo all the violators and then send the pics to MVA.

OccamsRazor

You can always volunteer to photo all the violators and then send the pics to MVA.
Meh. I already have a full time job that I signed up for and perform at a quite high level. If only those who signed up to enforce this would do the same then we might not be dealing with 60%+ increases in registration fees.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Every vehicle I own qualifies for "Historic" plates. I do not have Historic plates on a single one. I might change to those on my '57 Willys FC and my '69 Bronco, if I ever get them roadworthy.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
No

No vehicle inspection needed.

Grumpy

JFC what kind of cuck wants to enforce the historic plates......everyone should be striving to give the govt as little as possible.
Had a 80s Cutlass with historic plates, got pulled over 3 times over a 6 month period and reminded of the conditions of having those kind of plates. Never a ticket but was told that I would eventually get one. If I remember correctly, it was quite pricey.

Hijinx

I put historic tags on mu Olds because it is only used seldomly for a joy ride. It burns too much gas to use every day.
That 455 CI engine is one thirsty mother. I drive quite a bit and I seldom see a car with historic tags running the road.
The Insurance isn't any cheaper for the historic car. In fact it's pretty high. About the inspection: If the car wasn't safe, I wouldn't drive it.