Big MVA Fee Increase

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
About the inspection: If the car wasn't safe, I wouldn't drive it.
Wait until they tell you that they figured out people can't be trusted to keep their vehicles safe and they institute an annual safety inspection. That will bring in the money.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

I really dont get the whole HIstoric Plate thing. What benefit, that outweighs the restrictions, could it possibly provide?

Other than reduced cost to register, the main component is that cars being registered historic do not have to get/have a Maryland State inspection prior to being registered/titled. Simple as that.

rio

I really dont get the whole HIstoric Plate thing.

What benefit, that outweighs the restrictions, could it possibly provide?

If memory serves correctly, they're only allowed to be driven Sundays and Holidays and if you get in an accident Insurance won't pay if you are violating the restrictions. :sshrug:
It's good if you truly do have a historic car that you only drive very occasionally. As for insurance, if you go thru someone other than your regular insurance company, and use a company that specializes in historic vehicles, it's not overly expensive depending on the vehicle. The restrictions aren't quite as severe as only Sundays and holidays or to car shows.

Now, if you have a 25 year old beater that you've managed to keep on the road and drive daily, you're probably better off keeping it legal and just carrying liability insurance. In my opinion.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

If memory serves correctly, they're only allowed to be driven Sundays and Holidays and if you get in an accident Insurance won't pay if you are violating the restrictions.

Not factual. Insurance companies don't differentiate if your car is registered historic, or not. It's just regular liability insurance is all that is needed. Now, if you have a 1962 SHELBY COBRA CSX2000 that's 100% factory original and has been fully restored and pampered and garage kept .... Well, you will want some very good insurance and will tell your insurance agent everything about that car. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of riders within that insurance policy stating the do's and don'ts when one gets the requisite amount of coverage that car needs.

Hijinx

It's a shame but some people get upset when another person finds a way to get something that doesn't cost as much, and they don't have the opportunity to get that saving.
Hey! that guy is saving a hundred bucks and that Pisses me off.

OccamsRazor

It's a shame but some people get upset when another person finds a way to get something that doesn't cost as much, and they don't have the opportunity to get that saving.
Hey! that guy is saving a hundred bucks and that Pisses me off.
Or, more like "Why in the HELL are vehicle registrations going up 64%? Or, why in the HELL is my car insurance going up $50 a month? But, I guess if we all had Hijinx money.. it wouldn't be a huge deal :rolleyes:
A lot of people pizz and moan on here about how expensive everything is and inflation BUT, no issues with this? Interesting.

glhs837

Power with Control
St Mary's and Charles County. Pretty easy to see if you pay attention.

I might see two to four a day here in St Mays. On a Saturday when I'm moving around a bunch. Charles, given the lower income folks, might have a lot more.

glhs837

Power with Control
Or, more like "Why in the HELL are vehicle registrations going up 64%? Or, why in the HELL is my car insurance going up $50 a month? But, I guess if we all had Hijinx money.. it wouldn't be a huge deal :rolleyes:
A lot of people pizz and moan on here about how expensive everything is and inflation BUT, no issues with this? Interesting.

We know why. We all have an issue with it. Even if we can easily afford it. But what can actually be done?

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
My first thought would be.... Enforcement. Just like so many issues we have involving driving. Lack of enforcement.
Who can blame them.

When they try to actually enforce anything, they get in trouble.

F--- It. Just watch the mayhem and write a report after. :yawn:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
St Mary's and Charles County. Pretty easy to see if you pay attention.
I see old beaters with Historic plates around here fairly regularly and I'm not even out and about that often.

Friend of mine had them on an older Ford van...got "busted" by base police for running the Historic tags on his "daily driver" and had to go to a lot of trouble to get the thing to pass inspection...LOL.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I see old beaters with Historic plates around here fairly regularly and I'm not even out and about that often.
They need to change the criteria.

One of my trucks is over 20 years old and it's certainly not "Historic" in any way.

How many people restore 1995 Toyota Camrys or 2001 Ford Focus? :lmao:

glhs837

Power with Control
My first thought would be.... Enforcement. Just like so many issues we have involving driving. Lack of enforcement.

See, we see enforcement differently. The fees are not going up because a tiny minority are not paying their fair share. The fees are going up because Maryland spends more than they make and need a cash cow.

I would much rather enforcement be focussed on the behaviors that are maiming and killing people.
They need to change the criteria.

One of my trucks is over 20 years old and it's certainly not "Historic" in any way.

How many people restore 1995 Toyota Camrys or 2001 Ford Focus? :lmao:

Well, then, who is going to decide which vehicles qualify? I have a 73 F-100. That qualifies, for sure, right? How about a 1996 two door Cherokee with a manual trans? How about a 1998 or 1999 BMW 3 series convertible?

How about a Chevette or a Yugo? Certainly almost nobodies idea of great cars, but they are historic, speaking to the times they were made in.

Once you open that can of worms, its gets into a swamp.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
See, we see enforcement differently. The fees are not going up because a tiny minority are not paying their fair share. The fees are going up because Maryland spends more than they make and need a cash cow.

I would much rather enforcement be focussed on the behaviors that are maiming and killing people.

Well, then, who is going to decide which vehicles qualify? I have a 73 F-100. That qualifies, for sure, right? How about a 1996 two door Cherokee with a manual trans? How about a 1998 or 1999 BMW 3 series convertible?

How about a Chevette or a Yugo? Certainly almost nobodies idea of great cars, but they are historic, speaking to the times they were made in.

Once you open that can of worms, its gets into a swamp.
I'd be glad to provide a list of what DOES qualify. ( It doesnt' have any toyotas, datsuns or hondas on it thats for sure. )

HIH.

OccamsRazor

See, we see enforcement differently.

Apparently we do. I see enforcement as the job that LEO is supposed to do IN TOTAL. Not selectively. In your job, do you get to pick and choose which portions of your job are the "most important" and then just ignore the parts of your job that you deem "unimportant?"
Well, then, who is going to decide which vehicles qualify?
What vehicles "qualify" are already established and not the issue. The issue is the abuse of the rules that come with Historic registrations.
If you want to register your '73 F-100 then by all means.. go for it. That being said, it shouldn't be a daily driver and shouldn't be used for any means of work PERIOD. The actual rules for Historic vehicles are clearly outlined. Check 'em out.

Hijinx

I believe everyone here knows why the rate for registration is going up.
Can you say Annapolis is ruled by Democrats and they just love raising fee's
I might add another purpose for Historic tags that is pretty insane.
St. Mary's doesn't allow signs so people by an old beater truck , place their sign on it and park it somewhere to advertise their business.
Trailers appear all over with signs on them that St. Mary's won't allow someone to put up a sign.
The gun people have 2 0r 3 of them parked on the road.

I suppose everyone has something that pisses them off Occam is on a Historic tag rant, It's a small problem that seems to bug him. Making people buy regular tags for antique vehicles will not get the potholes filled or the grass along the roadway cut or the bridges fixed, but it gives him something to rant about and keeps his mind occupied.
Personally I get pissed at people who love to stay in the left lane and block up everyone that has to get to work, I would like to see the police move them over.
Actually to be honest, I like seeing the old cars on the road instead of these egg shell cars that all look alike . I can tell you the year and the model of mostly any old car I see, and I enjoy seeing one once in a while. The new cars i have no idea who built any of them and don't care.

Different strokes for Different folks.

OccamsRazor

I suppose everyone has something that pisses them off Occam is on a Historic tag rant, It's a small problem that seems to bug him. Making people buy regular tags for antique vehicles will not get the potholes filled or the grass along the roadway cut or the bridges fixed, but it gives him something to rant about and keeps his mind occupied.
Might help if you get things straight and know the difference between "Antique" vehicles and those that can be tagged "Historic."
I have no problems with "Antique" vehicles and those that are registered as such. The vast majority of people that own these types of vehicles DO NOT use them as daily drivers or for work purposes.
Finally, if you are going to say that it's a "small problem" then I suppose that I will NEVER hear you complain about food prices going up a dollar, gas prices going up $0.10, or insurance premiums going up... right?
When you have 10s of thousands of people in this state that are cheating the system and paying 1/3 to 1/4 the costs that they are supposed to be paying then YES... that is lost revenue. Where do you think the state is going to make up that revenue?
A lot of people with these "Historic" junk piles are driving around in unsafe cars. Now, I am sure that the people on here that have them keep them 100% up to code :killingmebut a lot of people do not.
Lets just hope that one of these Historic vehicles don't run into you while you are out on the road.