Breakfast

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Just finished making a big batch of sausage gravy. Having biscuits with tonight's meal. I'll make sure there are plenty of extras. 😋

NOTSMC

Just finished making a big batch of sausage gravy. Having biscuits with tonight's meal. I'll make sure there are plenty of extras. 😋
Did your family ever serve bread and butter at dinner every night? Lee and I were talking about growing up in the 60s and things our families did, things that carried over to our families etc. and for some reason I thought about bread and butter at the dinner table. His family didn't, my family did, and the more I thought about it, people in Baltimore had it at their table every night. And they did it on Navy ships as well. I can't remember the last time I saw bread and butter on a dinner table.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Did your family ever serve bread and butter at dinner every night? Lee and I were talking about growing up in the 60s and things our families did, things that carried over to our families etc. and for some reason I thought about bread and butter at the dinner table. His family didn't, my family did, and the more I thought about it, people in Baltimore had it at their table every night. And they did it on Navy ships as well. I can't remember the last time I saw bread and butter on a dinner table.
Speaking of bread and butter, when growing up sandwiches always had buttered bread. Even PBJ. I think it was because my mother was a butter junkie.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

When I was a kid all my family and friends' parents had bread and butter at dinner. Good ol' white bread, none of that healthy crap.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
When I was a kid all my family and friends' parents had bread and butter at dinner. Good ol' white bread, none of that healthy crap.
"Wonder Bread. Helps build strong bodies 12 ways!!"

My mom got a bread called Golden Circles. Tasted great, but I think it was just loaded with sugar.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Most times, yes. I think it was a way to fill us up. Except for holidays and special occasions, there were seldom any leftovers. Mommy Dearest was in charge of the budget, so there was enough food on the table for the meal. She was definitely a good money manager. That's how pops retired at 45 with a house that was paid off.

NOTSMC

So it's just Lee's family that was weird. Thought as much.

Do any of you still serve bread and butter with dinner? My kids would be like what's this for? Unless we had stew or something similiar.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Do any of you still serve bread and butter with dinner?

When my first husband and I got married I put it on the table a couple times and neither of us cared. What we really liked was buttered Ritz crackers or saltines - that was his typical after dinner snack.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
When my first husband and I got married I put it on the table a couple times and neither of us cared. What we really liked was buttered Ritz crackers or saltines - that was his typical after dinner snack.
Back in those days had a bread machine and a butter bell, now I’m told I can have the butter, but not the bread.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My beautiful fiancé is frying bacon and range free eggs. Toasted Italian bread slathered in butter and a white Monster Energy to complete the meal.