Call & Complain NOW! SMC Health Dept

If you disagree with the Dr. Brewster's overreach, call or email now!

email - smchd.healthdept@maryland.gov
Facebook - facebook.com/smchealthdepartment
Twitter - @SMCHD_gov

If anyone has her direct contact info, post here. We need to be heard folks!

Chris0nllyn

What did they do?

Requiring the use of a face mask when shopping or using public transportation. Starting Wednesday.

Public Health Directive and Order For Enhanced Consumer and Employee Safety

Pursuant to Code of Maryland Regulations, Sec. 10.06.01.06

I, Meenakshi Garg Brewster, Health Officer for St. Mary's County, finding it necessary for the control and medical containment of 2019 Novel Coronavirus ("SARS CoV-2") and the disease that it causes - Coronavirus Disease 2019 ("COVID-19"), hereby direct the following measures to be implemented to ensure consumer and employee safety in grocery stores (including farmers' markets), pharmacies, retail establishments, and public transportation.

1. Customers of at least two years in age will be required to wear face coverings in grocery stores, pharmacies, and retail establishments (including large chain retail). Cloth face coverings or other masks are acceptable to be used.

2. Drivers and passengers of at least two years in age of public transportation, including public ride-share services, will be required to wear face coverings. Cloth face coverings or other masks are acceptable to be used.

3. Require grocery stores, pharmacies, and retail establishments to establish capacity limits by setting limits on number of clients in the facility at a given time, and queues outside that promote social distancing spaces for customers while waiting.

4. Require grocery stores, pharmacies, and retail establishments to provide their employees with access to clean and sanitary restrooms stocked with cleansing products, such as soap and sanitizer. Employers must allow employees to wash their hands at a minimum of every 30 minutes.

5. Require employees to wear cloth face coverings or other masks. Employers must provide such coverings or make provisions for employees to obtain.

6. Require compliance with existing state and local sanitat ion requirements and statutes. Any complaints will be followed and investigated according to standard protocols and policy.

7. Require implementation of physical distancing measures for workers, customers and visitors. Appropriate signage must be displayed.

8. Recommend employers of businesses who use shared equipment, such as baskets or hand carts, to provide sanitation equipment, such as disinfecting wipes or alcohol-based wipes with at least 70% alcohol, for individual use.

9. Recommend installation of physical barriers (e.g. Plexiglass) between cashiers and customers, where possible.

THIS DIRECTIVE AND ORDER IS ISSUED UNDER MY HAND THIS 13TH DAY OF APRIL 2020, AND IS EFFECTIVE WEDNESDAY, APRIL 15, 2020.

Meenakshi G. Brewster, MD, MPH Health Officer, St. Mary's County
http://www.smchd.org/wp-content/uploads/SMC-Public-Health-Order-4-13-20fn.pdf

Scat

Funny, nothing in the referenced code gives them the authority to direct the wear of any type of masks or personal protective equipment (PPE)

Chris0nllyn

Funny, nothing in the referenced code gives them the authority to direct the wear of any type of masks or personal protective equipment (PPE)

What does this mean?
The Secretary or health officer shall:

(1) Take any action or measure necessary to prevent the spread of communicable disease or to control a reportable disease and condition; and
(2) Issue, when necessary, special instructions for control of a disease or condition.

Chris0nllyn

what part of special instructions = a mandate?

Subsection (1) gives her the authority to "take any action" (i.e. prevent places of business from allowing certain people, hanging signs, etc.) to control the spread. Subsection (2) affords her the ability to issue instructions to control the spread (i.e. instructing places of business to prevent people without facemasks from entering, limiting number of shoppers at a time, etc.).

IANAL, but that's how I'm reading it. 🤷

Note that the order does not "direct the wear of any type of masks or personal protective equipment (PPE)", it's just saying that if you are over 2 years old and want to shop at grocery stores, pharmacies, and retail establishments, you need to wear one. :lol:

Goldenhawk

A little late with this. We've all been going around for weeks now uncovered, "they" said it wasn't needed.
Look, does it really matter what the boffins believed, in all good faith, a few weeks ago?

This is a new situation for everyone, and I honestly believe that a ton of good, smart, well-intentioned people are doing their level best to balance keeping us safe with personal freedom. It's a very hard situation, but give them some grace.

It doesn't help anyone to fuss about the past; it is what it is, and we are where we are now. So let's just cooperate to beat this thing, and if it means wearing masks, wear a freaking mask for everyone else's sake, even if you think it's bogus.

Goldenhawk

By the way, if the recommendations change - or even the projected maximum casualties are adjusted down - I don't think that's a sign that anyone was wrong before. Decisions were made on the available data. The decisions that were made, at the time, were the best decisions possible at THAT time, not now. More data is now available; new decisions were made. Hindsight is 20/20, but not foresight. We can chill out and stop pointing fingers.

mitzi

Look, does it really matter what the boffins believed, in all good faith, a few weeks ago?

This is a new situation for everyone, and I honestly believe that a ton of good, smart, well-intentioned people are doing their level best to balance keeping us safe with personal freedom. It's a very hard situation, but give them some grace.

It doesn't help anyone to fuss about the past; it is what it is, and we are where we are now. So let's just cooperate to beat this thing, and if it means wearing masks, wear a freaking mask for everyone else's sake, even if you think it's bogus.

I don't disagree and I'm following the guidelines. I didn't understand weeks ago, why they weren't recommending wearing a face covering or mask. That's all I meant. They can protect you from the common cold if you choose to wear one.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think you
A little late with this. We've all been going around for weeks now uncovered, "they" said it wasn't needed.
And you
...Or am I the only person who occasionally has to change my plans, because I learn something new?
Need to lock yourself in your home, bathe in Purell, whatever you need to do, and stop trying to be the boss of everyone else.

ltown81

So now an unelected doctor can restrict movement and personal liberty? If you don't have a mask or are not comfortable wearing one, you can't shop? The health department is going around telling restaurants they will be punished with up to $5000 fine and year in jail if they don't enforce.

I would feel fine if masks were necessary, but everyone who seems to be an expert says they are not. It's more a false sense than anything. I can see PG county or wherever there are a lot of cases. That is not what is happening here thought. Most of St. Mary's is spread out and our case count is pretty low.

The worst part is, every time you think things are getting better someone pops up and knee caps you again.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Subsection (1) gives her the authority to "take any action" (i.e. prevent places of business from allowing certain people, hanging signs, etc.) to control the spread. Subsection (2) affords her the ability to issue instructions to control the spread (i.e. instructing places of business to prevent people without facemasks from entering, limiting number of shoppers at a time, etc.).

IANAL, but that's how I'm reading it. 🤷

Note that the order does not "direct the wear of any type of masks or personal protective equipment (PPE)", it's just saying that if you are over 2 years old and want to shop at grocery stores, pharmacies, and retail establishments, you need to wear one. :lol:
She may have authority to stop diseased, or known ill, people from entering businesses, btw, aka, quarantining! But no authority whatsoever mandating private persons who are not diseased, or ill, to wear a mask, nor to tell businesses who can, or cannot, enter their establishments, unless that person wanting to enter is known to be diseased or ill. Bitch needs to be fired.

mitzi

I think you

And you

Need to lock yourself in your home, bathe in Purell, whatever you need to do, and stop trying to be the boss of everyone else.

I'm not trying to be the boss of anybody. I'm taking precautions. I might have a medical condition that lowers my immune system, you don't know. You don't know everything.
You mentioned in another thread you were sheltered in place in Texas. You can't possibly be sheltered in place, I thought you were going to lead the revolution against this hoax. Anyone on here saying people should revolt is a joke. I see no one taking any action except spouting off on a forum. Oh yea, someone said they were going to revolt by going fishing last week. That's a real radical move.

mitzi

If I may ...

She may have authority to stop diseased, or known ill, people from entering businesses, btw, aka, quarantining! But no authority whatsoever mandating private persons who are not diseased, or ill, to wear a mask, nor to tell businesses who can, or cannot, enter their establishments, unless that person wanting to enter is known to be diseased or ill. Bitch needs to be fired.

Just how is she supposed to know who is diseased or ill, are they supposed to wear a sign? You could be beside someone in line with active TB, nobody would know. Isn't it taking away their civil liberties to ban them from businesses (i.e. Pharmacy).