Local Business Charlotte Hall- Do you want them to build apartments there???

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Jumpin Jacks, the sandwich/ice cream shop at the end of Sandgates Road, "Happy Happy." Closed and nothing there.
Two other places tried to run the old 235 Diner (Laurel Grove) before Zee Best was there.
Foxy Fish was 1 or 2 places that didn't survive after Copseys left.
Stone's Butcher Shop, which sold subs and fried chicken, where Fiesta Cafe is now.
Has been a while, but the old Cape St. Mary's tried to make it a few times (Capt. D-Rays to name one)
One very short lived placed tried the Willows out for like 2 or 3 months it seems before closing.
Cow & Fish was tried several times and closed - Capt Pats, H. Gass, one other BBQ place I think...

To name a few

Cow & Fish has already closed? Their Facebook shows them still open.

glhs837

Power with Control
Cow & Fish has already closed? Their Facebook shows them still open.

No, they meant that that location has hosted three or four places already that have all folded. It's truly a tough place. Just far enough out that people have built up a head of steam.

tipsymcgee

No, they meant that that location has hosted three or four places already that have all folded. It's truly a tough place. Just far enough out that people have built up a head of steam.

Thank you, I meant the location not the current business.

PeoplesElbow

I don't think that businesses in CH have to pay a pennyy more than comparable franchises in Waldorf or LP. It's not like staff has to walk to work, those who want to work have cars.

Yes, but did you read everything I wrote, Waldorf has the bodies in it to sell more #### to. The places he mentioned earlier, his utopias, are places with lower land and labor costs.

BernieP

Resident PIA
"Defined by who?" I haven't advocated devloping on larges lots. Admittedly, you make a point but it's water under the bridge since the developments are already under way.

the state under the previous two democratic governors.
Town center is where everything goes. "Smart growth" is implemented in such a way to block most development outside the town center.
The other premise is that you don't expand your infrastructure, that invites unwanted grow.

fatratcat

Defined by the Maryland Department of Planning with the adoption of PlanMD a few years ago. All, each and every, jurisdiction in the State has had to develop new Comprehensive Plans incorporating the mandates in it and craft new Comprehensive rezoning ordinances following both PlanMD and their own Comp Plans developed using it as a guide.

It's a one size fits all document which took no account of the differences in the various regions of the State.

That's why I always laugh at these threads, most of you don't know the square root of #### about the requirements and mandates and are just talking out of your asses.

Actually, I bothered to read it. It's mental paper mache. Thank God my view of the law and government is that laws change all of the time. That's why we have legislatures.

fatratcat

Jumpin Jacks, the sandwich/ice cream shop at the end of Sandgates Road, "Happy Happy." Closed and nothing there.
Two other places tried to run the old 235 Diner (Laurel Grove) before Zee Best was there.
Foxy Fish was 1 or 2 places that didn't survive after Copseys left.
Stone's Butcher Shop, which sold subs and fried chicken, where Fiesta Cafe is now.
Has been a while, but the old Cape St. Mary's tried to make it a few times (Capt. D-Rays to name one)
One very short lived placed tried the Willows out for like 2 or 3 months it seems before closing.
Cow & Fish was tried several times and closed - Capt Pats, H. Gass, one other BBQ place I think...

To name a few

But none of those restaurants were in CH?

fatratcat

Henson's and I can't think of the other one's name. I said both were new businesses now. Where was the BBQ House, I can't remember? So many business's have come and gone over the years. Wasn't there a little coffee shop somewhere about a year or so ago? What's going on with the move McKay's was supposed to do? If any building is to be done, something needs to be done about the roads. It's hard getting out of any of the businesses onto 5.

There's a small coffee shop over by the post office. I tried their coffee a few times. It was too weak. I hope they make it, but they'll need better coffee.

fatratcat

the state under the previous two democratic governors.
Town center is where everything goes. "Smart growth" is implemented in such a way to block most development outside the town center.
The other premise is that you don't expand your infrastructure, that invites unwanted grow.

Yep. That's pretty much how I read it. CH is a town center. I guess the question here is whether growth is wanted. I've beat this to death, but I want retail and restaurants not low end apartments. So, CH is a town center. That's where the growth will happen. Like it or not. I just same aim for better things than apartments.

Kinnakeet

The elected officials dont care what you think they want the pay off that is coming when they vote to let the apartments be built.if they are built you can bet they are going to house undesirables just look at St.Charles, unfortunately thats what will happen.:larry:

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep. That's pretty much how I read it. CH is a town center. I guess the question here is whether growth is wanted. I've beat this to death, but I want retail and restaurants not low end apartments. So, CH is a town center. That's where the growth will happen. Like it or not. I just same aim for better things than apartments.

And you think you can have one without the other. Despite being shown you need density or money.

fatratcat

And you think you can have one without the other. Despite being shown you need density or money.

Yep. It's a town center with plenty of disposable income. There's enough housing already underway to raise it to Dunkirk levels. Now, I appreciate the back and forth but duty calls...

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep. It's a town center with plenty of disposable income. There's enough housing already underway to raise it to Dunkirk levels. Now, I appreciate the back and forth but duty calls...

Well, when you get back, ponder that point I made way back. What looks like plenty to you looks like not a lot to others. You hope that housing will more than double the median income, I suspect that's not as likely as you think. Adding 300 (call it 100 houses, and say some of them are dual 150K incomes) people to over 2,000, even if half of them have say 150K isn't going to be enough, I don't think.

fatratcat

Well, when you get back, ponder that point I made way back. What looks like plenty to you looks like not a lot to others. You hope that housing will more than double the median income, I suspect that's not as likely as you think. Adding 300 (call it 100 houses, and say some of them are dual 150K incomes) people to over 2,000, even if half of them have say 150K isn't going to be enough, I don't think.

I agree with this...smart growth.

Town centers are located at Charlotte Hall, New Market, Mechanicsville, Hollywood and
Piney Point. They are designated as growth areas that are secondary to development districts,
where infrastructure should be provided to support densities of up to 5 units per acre, and where
mixed use development should be encouraged. Master plans should be generated for each of the
town centers to ensure that visual and functional qualities of development adheres to standards
for landscaping, architectural design, on-site and off-site advertising, access, lot coverage and
open space, and buffering from adjacent developments and transportation corridors. Allow for
and provide adequate buffers to avoid conflicts between different land use types and to provide
visual screening. Discourage strip development, and restrict direct access onto Three Notch
Road (MD 5/235) in Charlotte Hall, New Market, Mechanicsville, and Hollywood.

glhs837

Power with Control
So, loking at that list, how many of them have the sorts of places you are asking for? Discounting sit down waterfront places, those sort of skew the curve a bit, being waterfront.

fatratcat

So, loking at that list, how many of them have the sorts of places you are asking for? Discounting sit down waterfront places, those sort of skew the curve a bit, being waterfront.

The Cow and the Fish, Clarkes in Holly wood for starters...sorry I'm multitasking. Mechanicsville: Bert's, Fiesta, Foxy Fish, Zee Best, Capt. Leonards, Hot Pot...I think I made my point. Oh, I definitely want to include the Ruddy Duck in Piney Point on my list!

Last edited:

mitzi

There's a small coffee shop over by the post office. I tried their coffee a few times. It was too weak. I hope they make it, but they'll need better coffee.

No wonder I couldn't find it if that's where it is. One business I'm glad to see has survived is Four Star Pizza. I remember when they opened and it was nice actually have decent pizza. I'm talking over 30 years ago.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Oh, I definitely want to include the Ruddy Duck in Piney Point on my list!

Despite it's beautiful waterfront location, several failures in that location preceded what is there now, which is a satellite operation of the main RD place in Solomon's. That last detail being probably why it's hanging in there so far.

And there has been a restaurant there on the island for a very long time...long before the term "Town Center" even existed. There is absolutely zero new business construction of any kind in Piney Point..food..retail...nothing. No reason to expect there would be either. There were several good restaurants in PP over the years..and nearly all are long gone now. Oakwood Lodge, Old Country Inn, Elsie D's, Swanns', the original Evans,...

Back in the 90s, we used to sell a Swann's t-shirt with the caption "Located in downtown Piney Point, right across from the Federal Building".

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
The Cow and the Fish, Clarkes in Holly wood for starters...sorry I'm multitasking. Mechanicsville: Bert's, Fiesta, Foxy Fish, Zee Best, Capt. Leonards, Hot Pot...I think I made my point. Oh, I definitely want to include the Ruddy Duck in Piney Point on my list!

Okay, remove Clarkes and Ruddy Duck, being waterfront. since, AFAIK, CH has none of that. No reason folks couldn't build small single point places like that in CH. but I'll bet they see no reason to move, No chains, all locally owned and operated. Wait, Fiestas has a location there. Do you think those places have sewer where they are? I suspect not. So its not lack of zoning that prevents any place like that from moving into CH. Must be some reason that they opened places where they did. So why do you think zoning prevents places like that from opening in CH, when they have opened up right next door with more restrictive zoning?

fatratcat

Okay, remove Clarkes and Ruddy Duck, being waterfront. since, AFAIK, CH has none of that. No reason folks couldn't build small single point places like that in CH. but I'll bet they see no reason to move, No chains, all locally owned and operated. Wait, Fiestas has a location there. Do you think those places have sewer where they are? I suspect not. So its not lack of zoning that prevents any place like that from moving into CH. Must be some reason that they opened places where they did. So why do you think zoning prevents places like that from opening in CH, when they have opened up right next door with more restrictive zoning?

Several of the owners of small businesses in CH told me they had to pay a high fee to a private sewer system to offer food services. In one case, an owner wanted to offer an upscale (albiet small scale) food offering. I wish I could be more specific but want to respect his privacy. Ultimately, he said without public septic, he could not provide the service. He was unwilling to pay into a private system. PS--- I'm not buying the cherry picking on Clarkes and Ruddy Duck. LOL! I admire the attempt though. They are nice sit down restaurants in a Town Center that do not have particularly ghigh income or population densities. A good example that makes my point is land locked Captain Leonards.