Climate Hypocrisy

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Despite burden on taxpayers, states force green transition in public transportation

The Chicago Transit Authority reports that the transition will require an extra $1.8 to $3.1 billion taxpayer dollars in order to fund the transition, as opposed to diesel trucks.

In order to make that transition, cities will have to invest heavily in green infrastructure, like charging stations and batteries, or staffing electrical engineers.

“The operating savings from a fully electric fleet is expected to be offset by ongoing capital costs that are reduced compared to the transition period, but continue to be somewhat higher than diesel scenarios even after the transition is complete,” the CTA's report said.

Put simply, post-transition will entail cost savings in daily operations, like lower fuel and maintenance costs. And once the transition is complete, these capital costs will decrease because the initial infrastructure investments have already been made, but will still be higher than a diesel fleet.

Annually, CTA estimates those capital costs to be $90 million greater than for a diesel fleet, attributed to “the added cost of replacing chargers and the projected higher costs to purchase and overhaul electric buses.”

“Electric buses can be cost competitive when their costs and benefits over their lifetime are considered but remain more expensive when only considering upfront costs, due to the cost of the batteries,” according to a report from C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group.

So consumers may see a short term increase in their electricity bill.

The CTA is aiming to have the transition complete for nine neighborhoods by 2040, with an average implementation rate of 4.77 years.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
& the cars will sink to the lowest state of those using them; people won't look after one they don't own

That is what will kill this foolishness.

Hijinx

An old man has memories. I remember the hot days of summer when my dad got me up at 6 AM to go out and hoe the Tobacco, and then the hot days cutting and spearing, and then spending time in the top of the barn under a hot tin roof hanging the crop. It sure seemed pretty hot to me back then, After a days work in the hot sun sleeping on a pallet on the back porch because the bedroom was so hot and air conditioning was something they had at the movie, not at home.