Disappointing service with the vet

M

Mousebaby

St. Mary's is the best hospital I have ever dealt with. They have recently revamped their vacination requirements and now some of the shots that they were requiring yearly are now only every 3 yrs. They also know I'm not made of money and totally understand that I take my animals to the rabies clinics for their shots. In fact, I just had to take all 4 of my cats in because one was discovered to have a parasite and they needed to weigh them all and set them up for medications. They only charged me for the meds, they did not charge me for the visit at all! All of their receptionists and techs are all very nice and professional. I have been dealing with them for 15 yrs. and I will never change vets! They know me as soon as they see me and they greet me with a smile and tell me that they will check me in and a tech will be with me in a few minutes. Anytime I have had an emergency they would take me right in and straight back to the docotor. In fact, I remember one time when my little shih tzu's eye got popped out Dr. Fitzsimmons stayed after hours and repaired her eye and I got to help! I cannot say enough good words about these vets! :howdy:

SoftballCrazy

rallwine2000 said:
I will never go back to Three Notch. I left after about 12 yrs as a client. Ms. Bates the office manager is the worst. I could not believe how unprofessional she was. She wouldn't even let me speak to the vet who was taking care of my dog. I left that day and left with my records and went straight to St. Mary's Vet. Hospital and can not praise them enough.
Had problems at 3 Notch as well. Took all of my animals there for many years, had one incident w/ a receptionist being ugly, and I also started questioning how many tests/invasive surgeries are done unnecessarily... I have co-workers who have used them too, and once the vets recommended an invasive stomach surgery because his dog had diarrhea/throwing up, and they never mentioned the BRAC diet, they wanted to do a surgical procedure...he didn't get it done but tried the diet after speaking to others, and the problem cleared up and the dog was fine, and still is.

greyhound

elaine said:
Greyhounds require special care, and some vet's aren't able to provide it. They'll be happy to provide the basics, but when it gets serious greyhounds need a vet that is familiar with the breed. But then, I'm sure you know that.

Two of the vets at Tidewater owned greyhounds....

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
greyhound said:
Two of the vets at Tidewater owned greyhounds....

I always though they were pretty hardy dogs with the exception of bloat, which all deep chested dogs are prone to. What other special care do they require?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
cattitude said:
I always though they were pretty hardy dogs with the exception of bloat, which all deep chested dogs are prone to. What other special care do they require?

I'd have to go back and research it again. Seems there were several things they were prone to. They also are injured easily due to no fat under the skin. :shrug: I just know that I read you have to really research your vet's so you get one that knows how to treat a greyhound.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
elaine said:
I'd have to go back and research it again. Seems there were several things they were prone to. They also are injured easily due to no fat under the skin. :shrug: I just know that I read you have to really research your vet's so you get one that knows how to treat a greyhound.

Only thing I've heard of is that they have a problem with anesthesia because of the their lack of "fat."

All breeds have their issues...just like Boxers, not many people know that ACE (promazine) a very common tranquilizer and pre-anesthetic can kill a Boxer in an instant. Some breeders don't even know that and there are vets that don't either.

bresamil said:
:whistle:

Right now I'm blaming the receptionist - not the vets. I'm contacting them directly to inform them of the incident and allow the opportunity for explanation. I've always liked and trusted the vets.

I hated Tidewater. I couldn't switch my dog from there to another vet fast enough. However, my Dad takes his dog there and he's pleased with them.

It's sad that you and your sick dog were treated like that. It seems they (or some employees there) don't care about animals at all.

greyhound

cattitude said:
Only thing I've heard of is that they have a problem with anesthesia because of the their lack of "fat."

All breeds have their issues...just like Boxers, not many people know that ACE (promazine) a very common tranquilizer and pre-anesthetic can kill a Boxer in an instant. Some breeders don't even know that and there are vets that don't either.

They have the anesthesia issue, but don't have alot of the other problems that pure breeds are prone to.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
cattitude said:

Trying to find some stuff...I'm not an authority on dogs by any stretch of the imagination, and have only researched grey's.

http://home.comcast.net/~greyhndz/blood.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~greyhndz/hypothyroid.htm

greyhound said:
I have to chime in on the Tidewater issue. When we got our dogs we took them to Tidewater because we were told good things about them. Our dogs went to them for a couple of years. One day I can home and one of the Greys was in distress. I thought it was bloat. Called Tidewater and they refused to see him. And were not sympathetic. Could get him in, in a week. Well, if it was bloat he would be dead in a couple hours. Called PF animal hospital they called Waldorf Hospital and they were waiting for him when we came through the door. Turns out he didn't have bloat but was suffering from heart failure. He had water around the outer membrane of the heart. His organs were getting ready to shut down. They took great care of him and PF followed with great after care. He is doing wonderful now. We have spent a great deal of money in the care of our dogs. None of which Tidewater will ever see!

When I had my dog, I switched him from Tidewater to St. Charles Animal Hospital. Yes, it was more expensive, but they were understanding with his 'special' needs and took the time to work with him (he was not friendly at all and wouldn't let the doc touch him).

I keep trying to persuade my Dad to switch vets, but he's liking Tidewater so far. :shrug:

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
greyhound said:
That right....I forgot about the thyroid problem. Lucky for us that has not been an issue. We have had the heart problem and one of the greys has had cancer...these two problems were not breed specific.
How many greyhounds do you have? And do you have any other dogs?

Cowgirl

cattitude said:

Hmm...trying to remember what all the issues are.

The anesthesia thing, which has been covered, they have thin skin, which tears VERY easily, they also have low thyroid levels....so many non-greyhound vets put them on meds for hypothyroidism. :nono:

Oh, Dr. Macubbin at St. Mary's is GREAT with greys...that's where my parents took all of their dogs....and all of Greyt Expectations' dogs when they ran the rescue. :yay:

Edited to correct the thyroidism...

greyhound

mv_princess said:
How many greyhounds do you have? And do you have any other dogs?

We have two Greys and no other dogs. Both of our greys are on the large end. We have to step over dogs as it is....no others will fit in the house... :lmao:

Attachments

• DSC00072.JPG
    DSC00072.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 135
  • doggies.JPG
    doggies.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC00074.JPG
    DSC00074.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00073.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC00093.JPG
    DSC00093.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 109

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Oh, another thing. The owners/trainers don't care for their teeth, so adopted grey's usually don't have very healthy teeth when you get them.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
greyhound said:
We have two Greys and no other dogs. Both of our greys are on the large end. We have to step over dogs as it is....no others will fit in the house... :lmao:
Ok nevermind, I thought you were someone I knew. :lol: Pretty dogs though

greyhound

elaine said:
Oh, another thing. The owners/trainers don't care for their teeth, so adopted grey's usually don't have very healthy teeth when you get them.

One of ours has horrible bottom teeth in the front (the little ones in the very front).

mAlice

professional daydreamer
greyhound said:

Ooh, I want to pet them. They have the softest coat. :huggy:

greyhound said:

Did you name the one in the first picture 'Fang'?