DIY haircolor tip

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
Bebe Mama plays Barbie Beauty Center with the girls all the time - that's how Em got the banana yellow, then pink that we spent $150 having corrected. :faint:

I don't futz with their haircolor, but I've given Kyle several perms.

I am to much of a chicken to try and do my own.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
elaine said:
Going lighter is risky. Trust me. I know.

I don't go much lighter, but I am still a big chicken. I'll pay the professional to take care of my locks. :lol:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
RoseRed said:
I don't go much lighter, but I am still a big chicken. I'll pay the professional to take care of my locks. :lol:

One of these days I'll dig out the one pic I have of my disaster and post it. You can even tell that I've been crying.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
elaine said:
One of these days I'll dig out the one pic I have of my disaster and post it. You can even tell that I've been crying.

You can show me in person.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
elaine said:
If you do, I'll dig out the pic of when my cosmetology classmates dyed my hair fuchsia. :lol:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
vraiblonde said:
If you do, I'll dig out the pic of when my cosmetology classmates dyed my hair fuchsia. :lol:
You're on! I'll let ya' know when I find the pic, but I ain't postin' it on the public forums.

I just colored my mom's hair and it turned out the bestest it has ever turned out before. She chose Ion's neutral medium brown. We went with a permanent color and a 20 developer because she has stubborngray she needs to cover. It turned out perfect! It is a natural brown with shiny brown highlights, no hints of red or yellow like some dyes leave. I hooked her up with Ion color protection shampoo and conditioner so she should look wonderful for many weeks to come. :yay:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Sally's!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I've had a few premature grays for the past few years, and by keeping my hair lighter I didn't really have to keep on top of them. I had my hair colored back to my natural dark brown, thinking that now I won't have to worry about the touching up of the roots. Wrong. The grays, while still few and far between, are more noticable against dark brown. So I think I'll take the Sally's route, rather than the alternatives, which seem to be spending $80 all the time to get it done professionally or frying it with drugstore hair color. What should I use? A semi-permanant? Would I get a 10 developer for that?

Nickel said:
I've had a few premature grays for the past few years, and by keeping my hair lighter I didn't really have to keep on top of them. I had my hair colored back to my natural dark brown, thinking that now I won't have to worry about the touching up of the roots. Wrong. The grays, while still few and far between, are more noticable against dark brown. So I think I'll take the Sally's route, rather than the alternatives, which seem to be spending $80 all the time to get it done professionally or frying it with drugstore hair color. What should I use? A semi-permanant? Would I get a 10 developer for that?
Everything I read says if you want to cover gray, you will want a permanent color and a 20 developer.

Nickel said:
Screw that. :ohwell:
Why? I don't have gray (yet) but when I color my hair, I use permanent and a 20 developer and it does not damage my hair. If you want to keep your hair strong, thick and protected... Ion conditioner rocks.

My mom's hair looks and feels awesome.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
kwillia said:
Why? I don't have gray (yet) but when I color my hair, I use permanent and a 20 developer and it does not damage my hair. If you want to keep your hair strong, thick and protected... Ion conditioner rocks.

My mom's hair looks and feels awesome.
My hair tends to be very dry, and I use high end conditioners and do the deep conditioning periodically. I probably don't drink enough water. Either way, I just don't want to totally fry my hair.

Nickel said:
My hair tends to be very dry, and I use high end conditioners and do the deep conditioning periodically. I probably don't drink enough water. Either way, I just don't want to totally fry my hair.
Gray will make you look distinguished...:huggy:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
kwillia said:
Gray will make you look distinguished...:huggy:
Or bald. I just pluck them out whenever I find them. :lol: My hair's real thick anyways, I probably have another five years of plucking without consequence. :lmao:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
kwillia said:
BTW... give Ion repair conditioner a try.
I bought a couple of the little packets of some of their stuff and also a tube of the repair conditioner. I'll start using it every day to see how it works out. I've also, as of last week, stopped heat styling my hair. No more straightening, at least until it starts getting cold outside again. I'm hoping that will help too.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Can someone give me the "for dummies" version for going the Sally's DIY route for hair coloring? What's the 10 and 20 developer stuff? Is it as simple as picking a color, getting the developer, mixing the two and slapping it on? :shrug: