DIY haircolor tip

vraiblonde said:
That's what's caused the damage, then, not the haircolor itself.

If you're staying in the same color range, I'd go with a demi-permanent color and activator. This deposits color on the outside of the hair shaft, rather than opening the cuticle to stain the cortex. It's a lot gentler on your hair.

By the time I get this done and posted, someone will have beaten me to it :lol: but here goes:

Get a Wella demi-permanent hair color in the shade closest to your own. Demi-permanent will not lighten your hair - it only deposits color. So disregard the rest of this if you're looking to go lighter.

Your color choices will be arranged by the following color base:
N = neutral
R = red
G = gold
A = ash
V = violet

Don't get something marked G if you don't want gold tones, etc, etc.

Numbers will go from 1 to 10, 1 being black and 10 being pale blonde. Don't go by the swatch because that's synthetic hair and not necessarily what you will end up with.

So, say, if you wanted a medium brown with no golden or red tones, you'd choose something that said 4N or 4A (for ashy tones). I'd pick the N, myself, because ash sometimes gives hair a gray cast.

You'll also need a bottle of activator or 10 volume developer. Any brand will do, but Wella is a good one.

In addition, buy an application bottle for $1 or so to mix and apply.

Mix the color at a 1:2 ratio - 1 part color, 2 parts activator. The color comes in 2 oz. tubes, so mix a whole tube with 4 oz or activator. Then just apply like normal, starting with the back of your head, underneath to top layer.

Time it for 20 minutes, then rinse well and apply your conditioner - NOT your regular conditioner, but one formulated for after coloring so it will make your cuticle lie flat and hold the color.

Ladies? Am I forgetting anything?
Bump for Nickel... Vrai already gave you the answer you are looking for...:yay:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
kwillia said:
Bump for Nickel... Vrai already gave you the answer you are looking for...:yay:
Dur, I just bumped the same post and asked for confirmation that this was okay. I'm just going to do whatever I want anyways, so I don't see why I'm asking. :lmao:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I ran to sally's and got my color and stuff. They have the Ion color defense shampoo & conditioner on sale for those who are interested. :yay:

I just did my daughters hair in Ion's Very Light Blonde (9N-9.0) using a 20 developer and she looks awesome! I used the technique I described a few posts ago where I did her whole head except for the crown and then after 15 minutes hit the crown and worked the rest of the goo in and then let it sit for another 15 minutes. It looks very nice and very natural!

Oh yeah... her natural color is "light brown" and by using very light blonde we ended up with a light blonde. :yay:

If we had wanted it to go as light as "very light blonde, we would of needed to use a 30 developer. If I want to do very, very light blonde highlights on her, I will have to use a 30 or even a 40 developer for the highlights.

crabcake

Okay ... so I did the color, and I gotta say, it REALLY is nice ... it covered each of the 20 or so grays I have (which OTC colors rarely did).

HOWEVER ... it came out with a lot more 'red' in it than I thought it would (I think it's b/c I had color on my hair already). My plan was to highlight/streak some blonde into it, but I'm afraid -- if I do -- that it'll turn the highlights into a strawberry color. I used Ion's 5RC-5.4 (Light Copper Brown), and the swatch didn't show much red at all.

Thoughts? I bought the highlighting stuff and have it here to use, but want some input before I do it. :tap:

crabcake said:
I used Ion's 5RC-5.4 (Light Copper Brown), and the swatch didn't show much red at all.
You got what you picked. The 'R' stands for red tones... Vrai explained that back in the beginning.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
crabcake said:
Okay ... so I did the color, and I gotta say, it REALLY is nice ... it covered each of the 20 or so grays I have (which OTC colors rarely did).

HOWEVER ... it came out with a lot more 'red' in it than I thought it would (I think it's b/c I had color on my hair already). My plan was to highlight/streak some blonde into it, but I'm afraid -- if I do -- that it'll turn the highlights into a strawberry color. I used Ion's 5RC-5.4 (Light Copper Brown), and the swatch didn't show much red at all.

Thoughts? I bought the highlighting stuff and have it here to use, but want some input before I do it. :tap:
I've always been told not to go by what the swatch shows you. That's not how your hair will turn out, because everyone's hair is a different color starting out. You go by the number/letter identification and any other info they provide. So if I saw "Light Copper Brown" in a product description, I would assume the outcome would be in the red family. Vrai or Chasey will be along soon to tell you how to fix it. :huggy:

crabcake

kwillia said:
You got what you picked. The 'R' stands for red tones... Vrai explained that back in the beginning.

Yea, I know ... and it's NOT a bad color at all ... it's actually pretty close to my natural color w/a tad more red. I don't dislike it. I'm just curious what result the highlights will produce with it? Will they strawberry up, do I leave it on longer than normal to get them more blonde, or should I hold off on the highlights for a couple days?

crabcake said:
Yea, I know ... and it's NOT a bad color at all ... it's actually pretty close to my natural color w/a tad more red. I don't dislike it. I'm just curious what result the highlights will produce with it? Will they strawberry up, do I leave it on longer than normal to get them more blonde, or should I hold off on the highlights for a couple days?
My sister purposely colored her hair with a coppery color. She then hit it with a few golden blonde highlights and it worked fine for her.

crabcake

Biatchin'! I got the medium brown base color, some copper and some golden highlights goin' on, and while it sounds funky/busy, it looks ab-fab! :diva: :yay:

crabcake said:
Biatchin'! I got the medium brown base color, some copper and some golden highlights goin' on, and while it sounds funky/busy, it looks ab-fab! :diva: :yay:
You go, gurl! I have a gurlfriend very near and dear to my heart that I may be doing in the same scheme of things one of these days soon...:whistle:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
crabcake said:
Are the highlights chunky, or more natural looking? All through your hair, or just the top layers? Did you use foil, or just put it on there? I'm going to be visiting my mom for a few days and I'll probably go to the Sally's in Waldorf to pick up some haircolor. If it's fairly easy to do your own highlights I don't believe I'll ever pay to get mine done again.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Nickel said:
Are the highlights chunky, or more natural looking? All through your hair, or just the top layers? Did you use foil, or just put it on there? I'm going to be visiting my mom for a few days and I'll probably go to the Sally's in Waldorf to pick up some haircolor. If it's fairly easy to do your own highlights I don't believe I'll ever pay to get mine done again.
I foiled my sisters hair months ago. She bought some OTC kit and her hair actually looked good once we were done. Though, I don't think I would try foiling alone. :eyebrow:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Chasey_Lane said:
I foiled my sisters hair months ago. She bought some OTC kit and her hair actually looked good once we were done. Though, I don't think I would try foiling alone. :eyebrow:
Oh, I wasn't going to do it alone, I can barely color my hair by myself. :lol: I was going to ask my mom to do it. :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So anyway...

...my Explorer is STILL in Nashville at Gibson where it was born. They've done the fret job. Did a carbon graphite number on the headstock, removed the aftermarket trem unit, put on a bone nut and are having trouble, pay attention ladies, getting the paint job on the repaired part to match the existing color which is 18 years old. They let it sit for a few days to see how it looks and it ain't fading to match. So, they're gonna REFINISH THE WHOLE THING!!!

It's been there for over 3 phreaking months.

Maybe I should just get em to send it back and let Vrail and her walla walla stuff do the job...

Larry Gude said:
...my Explorer is STILL in Nashville at Gibson where it was born. They've done the fret job. Did a carbon graphite number on the headstock, removed the aftermarket trem unit, put on a bone nut and are having trouble, pay attention ladies, getting the paint job on the repaired part to match the existing color which is 18 years old. They let it sit for a few days to see how it looks and it ain't fading to match. So, they're gonna REFINISH THE WHOLE THING!!!

It's been there for over 3 phreaking months.

Maybe I should just get em to send it back and let Vrail and her walla walla stuff do the job...
:faint:

crabcake

Nickel said:

I pulled mine through a cap all over ... somewhat chunky and sporadic, but still natural looking (nothing where the sun wouldn't naturally hit it).

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
I dyed my hair with demi-permanent auburn hair color about a year ago and came out with pinkish/red hair. The color eventually washed out into the color I wanted and later, a golden brown, but I had trouble even distributing the dye (since my hair is curly). So a couple weeks ago, I went to a salon and had it dyed the same type of auburn color and I love it!!! :yay: