DIY haircolor tip

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
crabcake said:
Can someone give me the "for dummies" version for going the Sally's DIY route for hair coloring? What's the 10 and 20 developer stuff? Is it as simple as picking a color, getting the developer, mixing the two and slapping it on? :shrug:
From what I gather from Vrai's step by step instructions, it sounds like it.

crabcake said:
Can someone give me the "for dummies" version for going the Sally's DIY route for hair coloring? What's the 10 and 20 developer stuff? Is it as simple as picking a color, getting the developer, mixing the two and slapping it on? :shrug:
Here... I'm copying this from an Ion Coloring pamphlet I picked up at Sally's:

The correct choice of color and developer is essential for best results. The choice must be made bearing in mind the customer's natural hair color, the desired degree of lightening and the percentage of gray hair. Remember tint won't lift tint. If the hair has previously been colored with permanent hair color then an application of Salon Care Color Remover should first be done.

Color objective:

Tone on tone/deposit only or equal to client's natural level should use 10 volume developer with processing time 25-35 minutes.

Coverage of gray hair - 20 volume developer - 30-45 minutes

Up to 2 levels lighter than the natural level - 20 volume developer - 30-45 minutes.

3 levels lighter than the natural level - 30 volume developer - 30-45 minutes.

4-5 levels lighter than natural level - 40 volume developer - 30-45 minutes.

*To create 10 volume, mix equal amounts of distilled water and 20 volume.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Nickel said:
My hair tends to be very dry, and I use high end conditioners and do the deep conditioning periodically. I probably don't drink enough water. Either way, I just don't want to totally fry my hair.
Um, Nickel, I don't like your new Avatar, not that it matters.......I like your old one better. Please switch back. TIA :huggy:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
kwillia said:
Here... I'm copying this from an Ion Coloring pamphlet I picked up at Sally's:

The correct choice of color and developer is essential for best results. The choice must be made bearing in mind the customer's natural hair color, the desired degree of lightening and the percentage of gray hair. Remember tint won't lift tint. If the hair has previously been colored with permanent hair color then an application of Salon Care Color Remover should first be done.

Color objective:

Tone on tone/deposit only or equal to client's natural level should use 10 volume developer with processing time 25-35 minutes.

Coverage of gray hair - 20 volume developer - 30-45 minutes

Up to 2 levels lighter than the natural level - 20 volume developer - 30-45 minutes.

3 levels lighter than the natural level - 30 volume developer - 30-45 minutes.

4-5 levels lighter than natural level - 40 volume developer - 30-45 minutes.

*To create 10 volume, mix equal amounts of distilled water and 20 volume.

I only have a couple grays, but they're consolidated right behind my bang-line.

I'm guessing we mix the developer and color, or are they two separate processes? :confused:

crabcake said:
I only have a couple grays, but they're consolidated right behind my bang-line.

I'm guessing we mix the developer and color, or are they two separate processes? :confused:
It is not any more complicated than getting a coloring kit off the shelf at Wal-mart. Think about one of those kits. The kit comes with gloves, an plastic applicator bottle the usually has the developer already in it, a container of coloring agent, and then an after color conditioner. You will need all of the same things, but will buy them seperately at Sally's. The major difference is that you get to chose salon quality coloring agent and have a bazillion choices in shade. I bought a big bottle of developer because I do my sister's, mother's, daughter's and my hair whenever any one of us want to do something different. Note, it doesn't matter what brand developer you buy, it will work with whatever brand of coloring you decide to use. I used Wella in a coppery color on my sis and she LOVES it. I used Ion in a medium brown on my mom and it turned out to be the best coloring she's had yet. I'm gonna do my daughter in light blonde by Ion today.

You will follow a ratio of 1 part color to 2 parts developer. A bottle of color is 2 oz.... you would dump 4 oz of developer in the bottle and then dump the two oz of coloring in and shake it up then it's ready to apply.

Note, I chose to go with a creme developer and then liquid color. This makes the mixture very easy to work with. If you go with liquid developer and liquid color, it would be very drippy and messy. If you go with creme developer and creme color, it would make for a very thick mixture.

Here is another coloring tip that I read which makes sense. If you are lightening your hair, you want to put the coloring everywhere except the top crown/part area for the 1st 15 minutes. Once 15 minutes is up, hit the crown of your head blending the remaining coloring in all over. This will give you a slight variation in coloring along the part line that looks normal and natural rather than a solid light color which could end up looking odd.

crabcake

Thanks for the info, Kwillia. :yay: I might swing by Sally's today and pick some stuff up. I don't have time for a salon coloring this next week, but I am due for one, and wanna get it done before I head to Charlotte next weekend. :yay:

Does it tell you how long to leave it on for?

crabcake said:
Thanks for the info, Kwillia. :yay: I might swing by Sally's today and pick some stuff up. I don't have time for a salon coloring this next week, but I am due for one, and wanna get it done before I head to Charlotte next weekend. :yay:

Does it tell you how long to leave it on for?
The range given is always 30-45 minutes which is a wide spread. I have been going with 30 minutes for browns and 35 minutes for blondes (going two shades lighter than the normal hair shade).

crabcake

kwillia said:
The range given is always 30-45 minutes which is a wide spread. I have been going with 30 minutes for browns and 35 minutes for blondes (going two shades lighter than the normal hair shade).

As far as application, do you use a brush and paste it on or just pretty much gop it on and ensure even distribution?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I went to Sally's last week and was extremely disappointed with their hair stuff. They had no Redken, Matrix, Tigi, Wella...nada. :ohwell: The one is Waldorf is MUCH better! :neener:

crabcake

Chasey_Lane said:
I went to Sally's last week and was extremely disappointed with their hair stuff. They had no Redken, Matrix, Tigi, Wella...nada. :ohwell: The one is Waldorf is MUCH better! :neener:

The only hair products I get from Sally's are the Ion heat protection spray. The rest of my hair stuff, I find better deals at Trade Secret, and they have a punch card for your purchases to get free stuff. :yay:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Chasey_Lane said:
There are at least 5 in the Hampton Roads area, but I've only been to one so far. It was small, and didn't have any brands I recognized, but I was impressed with the amount of stuff they had there. If I want Redken or what-have-you, I always go to Trade Secret.

Chasey_Lane said:
Well then I guess you and your coach purse self had better stay in Waldork...:neener:

crabcake said:
As far as application, do you use a brush and paste it on or just pretty much gop it on and ensure even distribution?
So far, all I've ever done is "all over distribution" and then follow that up later with streaking highlights. I'm going to experiment with foil highlights on my daughter.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
kwillia said:
So far, all I've ever done is "all over distribution" and then follow that up later with streaking highlights. I'm going to experiment with foil highlights on my daughter.
I am going to have to get buddy buddy with some navy wives so we can have hair coloring parties. I think I'll put that on my "To Do" list. :eyebrow:

Fishn Guy

That's Dr. Fishn to you..
Nickel said:
I am going to have to get buddy buddy with some navy wives so we can have hair coloring parties. I think I'll put that on my "To Do" list. :eyebrow:
I color my hair. Can I come?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
vraiblonde said:
That's what's caused the damage, then, not the haircolor itself.

If you're staying in the same color range, I'd go with a demi-permanent color and activator. This deposits color on the outside of the hair shaft, rather than opening the cuticle to stain the cortex. It's a lot gentler on your hair.

By the time I get this done and posted, someone will have beaten me to it :lol: but here goes:

Get a Wella demi-permanent hair color in the shade closest to your own. Demi-permanent will not lighten your hair - it only deposits color. So disregard the rest of this if you're looking to go lighter.

Your color choices will be arranged by the following color base:
N = neutral
R = red
G = gold
A = ash
V = violet

Don't get something marked G if you don't want gold tones, etc, etc.

Numbers will go from 1 to 10, 1 being black and 10 being pale blonde. Don't go by the swatch because that's synthetic hair and not necessarily what you will end up with.

So, say, if you wanted a medium brown with no golden or red tones, you'd choose something that said 4N or 4A (for ashy tones). I'd pick the N, myself, because ash sometimes gives hair a gray cast.

You'll also need a bottle of activator or 10 volume developer. Any brand will do, but Wella is a good one.

In addition, buy an application bottle for $1 or so to mix and apply.

Mix the color at a 1:2 ratio - 1 part color, 2 parts activator. The color comes in 2 oz. tubes, so mix a whole tube with 4 oz or activator. Then just apply like normal, starting with the back of your head, underneath to top layer.

Time it for 20 minutes, then rinse well and apply your conditioner - NOT your regular conditioner, but one formulated for after coloring so it will make your cuticle lie flat and hold the color.

Ladies? Am I forgetting anything?
Okay, so one more time, before I make a decision. I read product descriptions on Sally's website, and the 10 developer says it's okay for use on chemically processed hair, but the 20 does not say that. According to the above directions, since I am staying with virtually the same color it's okay to go with demi-permanant, right?

I wish Vrai was here to help me. :bawl: