DIY haircolor tip

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
crabcake said:
I pulled mine through a cap all over ... somewhat chunky and sporadic, but still natural looking (nothing where the sun wouldn't naturally hit it).
Oh lord, I can't do that. :lol: My mom and I tried that on my hair in high school...it got all tangly and was a PITA to get off. It hurt! Never again. :lmao:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Nickel said:
Oh lord, I can't do that. :lol: My mom and I tried that on my hair in high school...it got all tangly and was a PITA to get off. It hurt! Never again. :lmao:

Really? I've highlighted my hair several times via pulling it through the cap and I've never had a problem with it hurting, tangling, etc. :shrug:

Nickel said:
It sounds like you were trying to pull too much through. It really is pretty easy:lol:

crabcake

sweetpea said:
It sounds like you were trying to pull too much through. It really is pretty easy:lol:

:yeahthat: I did my own (back of my head, even). You just need to be patient (which, if I can, ANYONE can! :lmao:), have a full-size hand-held mirror, and not pull too much through. :yay:

crabcake said:
:yeahthat: I did my own (back of my head, even). You just need to be patient (which, if I can, ANYONE can! :lmao:), have a full-size hand-held mirror, and not pull too much through. :yay:
:lmao: I knew if I took my time I wouldn't have a jacked up looking head of hair.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
sweetpea said:
I wasn't trying to do anything but sit still. :lmao: Either way, I'm not doing it again. :lol: My hair strands are thick, I have a lot of hair, it is prone to tangles if I don't baby it. I'll pass and just find a friend that wants to trade highlights. :lol:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
kwillia said:
I just read a really interesting tidbit that said chosing to go with a redbased permanent color could sometimes turn natural gray hair bright pink. Cool huh! :smile:

I don't have gray hair. :dance:

Oh crap... I should of stopped searching for tips while I was ahead...:jet:

Highlighting hair:

We, in good conscience, must stress to you that this type of hair treatment should never be done at home, not even by your best friend or sister!
Trust me, there is a reason your colorist has been professionally trained and fully licensed and certified as an officially recognised hair colorist.
And just because your sis' likes to watch all the makeover shows, that, in no way makes her a professional!
Too much damage can be done to your hair, and your soul!
Not to mention your wallet when you go running back to your colorist, begging her or him to fix it.
You have to come to terms with the fact that there are treatments that can be done at home, maybe they are even worth it and also fun to do, but as for others, it might be wise and much cheaper to either have it done by a proper hair colorist or do without. There's a third option, but you won't like it, so we are not telling you. We can only assure you that you want to choose one of the two mentioned above, head for a hair salon or think of another look for your hair!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I finally broke down and bought the coloring stuff. The last time I had it done (professionally), she dyed it back to my natural color, which was a level 3, and added in "highlights", which were a level 4 (really just for my peace of mind, I was afraid to go too dark). Since the highlights are growing out (and not too noticeably, I might add), I'm comfortable with just the dark color. So I bought Ion's level 3 with golden undertones.

I'm afraid to try it. :ohwell:

Nickel said:
I finally broke down and bought the coloring stuff. The last time I had it done (professionally), she dyed it back to my natural color, which was a level 3, and added in "highlights", which were a level 4 (really just for my peace of mind, I was afraid to go too dark). Since the highlights are growing out (and not too noticeably, I might add), I'm comfortable with just the dark color. So I bought Ion's level 3 with golden undertones.

I'm afraid to try it. :ohwell:
My sis came over last night and we went to Sally's to get stuff to do her hair again. She picked a reddish brown.... it turned out great! :cartwheel

Pssst... Catt... her and I are going to experiment with foil highlights in her hair today... I'll let you know how it turns out! :cartwheel

crabcake

kwillia said:
her and I are going to experiment with foil highlights in her hair today... I'll let you know how it turns out! :cartwheel

What exactly does foiling do? :confused: I had it done on my hair once, but figured it was just to separate the highlighted hair from the darker (already-colored) hair.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
kwillia said:
My sis came over last night and we went to Sally's to get stuff to do her hair again. She picked a reddish brown.... it turned out great! :cartwheel
I ended up getting a bowl and brush so that I can brush it on, rather than use a bottle. I've never been to comfortable with the bottle, so we'll see how this works out. I had a mini-panic attack when I realized that I have no way of measuring the developer to make sure I get a 1:1 ratio, but I'll figure it out. :lmao:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Bob found a grey hair in the back of my head the other day that was so nappy and kinky that it resembled a 10 inch long public hair. Yuck.

I need to start dying my hair NOW.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Nickel said:
I ended up getting a bowl and brush so that I can brush it on, rather than use a bottle. I've never been to comfortable with the bottle, so we'll see how this works out. I had a mini-panic attack when I realized that I have no way of measuring the developer to make sure I get a 1:1 ratio, but I'll figure it out. :lmao:

Measuring cup. :huggy: :lmao:

You're welcome.