does Lollar really have a chance?

Woodyspda

I can't find any info on line about whether or not Lollar really has a chance of ousting Hoyer. Does anyone know if Hoyer really is in danger?
I am sooo hopeful, but fear being disappointed. What do polls say?

OK here is a perfect example of what is wrong with our electoral and election system in this country.

If we knew what what going to happen beforehand then there would be zero reason to hold the election. Media has gotten to the point where they attempt to predict the outcome well before the actual event.

VOTE... Vote with reason.... vote with conviction.... Just vote. It doesn't matter what the outcome... the results will not be final until after all the votes have been cast.

or are you just looking for a reason to not go to the polls????

bcp

In My Opinion
OK here is a perfect example of what is wrong with our electoral and election system in this country.

If we knew what what going to happen beforehand then there would be zero reason to hold the election. Media has gotten to the point where they attempt to predict the outcome well before the actual event.

VOTE... Vote with reason.... vote with conviction.... Just vote. It doesn't matter what the outcome... the results will not be final until after all the votes have been cast.

or are you just looking for a reason to not go to the polls????

smart response.
one thing is for sure, as soon as the Americans figure that its not worth their time to go to the polls, Hoyer will certainly get another couple years to screw us over.

Mr.Steed

I can't find any info on line about whether or not Lollar really has a chance of ousting Hoyer. Does anyone know if Hoyer really is in danger?
I am sooo hopeful, but fear being disappointed. What do polls say?

Will Lollar have a chance? No, because he is a liar, period!

Mr.Steed

smart response.
one thing is for sure, as soon as the Americans figure that its not worth their time to go to the polls, Hoyer will certainly get another couple years to screw us over.

GO STENY, WE HAVE YOUR BACK!!!

Mr.Steed

Hoyer can afford too. :lmao: Hoyer has received so much money from out of state unions it isn't even funny. He can't spend it all, so he needs to share it with other Dems who need it desperately.

Check out the link and picture to get a better idea.

Congressional Elections: Maryland District 05 Race: 2010 Cycle | OpenSecrets

Compare it to Lollar who raised his money completely from individual donations and has done a fabulous job of going and getting the word out. Lollar will pull more than perhaps you think. I do not believe the voters are idiots.

Has Lollar disclosed all of his donors? Or is he like Karl Rove and his roving bandits who hold hands with the US Chamber of Commerce? Accusing Hoyer of "sharing" his money, isn't that like throwing boulders at glass houses?

Mr.Steed

:killingme uh..buddy. Just how many counties do you think are in Hoyer's district?

Here's a helpfull hint..right from Hoyers own web site:

Three whole counties..and parts of two others with boundaries that were gerrymandered to throw as many liberal lefties in to the pot as possible. Can't have the conservatives in St. Mary's or Calvert determining who the welfare-doling Dem Senator will be, now can we?:sarcasm:

What's wrong son? Wake up on the wrong side of your bed? Really, the welfare cr*p is soooo over used and tiring. As I like to say about the Dems. vs. the Pubs., it's we vs. me, and inclusion vs. exclusion. GO DEMOCRATS!

That depends entirely on what you mean by a chance. Everything that would be in the future from a human perspective (i.e. further in the direction of space-time for which we don't have memories) is possible (i.e. in so far as humans can know with certainty). Strictly speaking, he absolutely has a chance.

Does he have a 1 in 2 chance (or better)? No. Does he have a 1 in 1000 chance (or better)? Yes. Does he have a 1 in 8 chance (or better)? That's a tougher question to answer, but I'd guess no. Does he have a 1 in 80 chance (or better)? Probably. Point being, whether or not he, for practical purposes, has a chance depends on what someone considers a chance for practical purposes. Even still, it would be hard to precisely quantify his chances.

That said, none of that matters. It is beyond dispute that he has some chance to win. It is also beyond dispute that his chances, whatever they are, are improved with every vote cast for him (all other things being equal). So, if someone wants him to win, they should vote for him without regard to what his chances may be. One thing's pretty sure, he needs a significant turnout advantage just to make it competitive.

Mr.Steed

Yes, he stands a good chance. If he pulls the majority in St. Mary's, Calvert and Charles, he only has to get a fighting portion in PG and Anne Arundel. Honest input is he has St Mary's and Calvert and Anne Arundel. He has a good chance in Charles and he has made huge in-roads in PG. He's made such a difference in PG (the number one concern area), that pro-Hoyer people are destroying and removing his campaign signs in PG because they are so scared.

Vote Lollar and :dingding:

Stop lying about who is taking Lollar's signs. Lollar "arranged" to have his signs removed to make Hoyer look bad. This is what I have been hearing. And since Lollar likes to lie, this is very fitting and typical behavior of someone who will do anything to win. Too bad Lollar wants to disassociate himself from the TPs, he has used you all and now he is trying to move on.

R

retiredweaxman

Stop lying about who is taking Lollar's signs. Lollar "arranged" to have his signs removed to make Hoyer look bad. This is what I have been hearing. And since Lollar likes to lie, this is very fitting and typical behavior of someone who will do anything to win. Too bad Lollar wants to disassociate himself from the TPs, he has used you all and now he is trying to move on.

Provide PROOF old man and not just innuendos and slanderous statements from what you might have heard or not. Provide copies of police reports, threads, links to newspapers where someone has charged him with tearing his own signs down...

awpitt

Main Streeter
I have to admit, it really pisses me off to know that there are people who will stand in the rain and cold for Lollar, who will post his signs on their lawns, who will come to the debates to hear HIM and not Hoyer and who enthusiastically support his candidacy .....

Debates have turned into pep-rallies. The purpose of a debate is for undecided voters to hear from the various sides. It seems that has been forgotten in recent years. If someone is already in Lollar's coner, they should stay home so an undecided voter can attend an potentially end up in Lollar's corner as well. Instead debates are now just a gathing of each candidates supporters so it's unlikely that any undecideds actuallty got to go inside and see the debate.

Three whole counties..and parts of two others with boundaries that were gerrymandered to throw as many liberal lefties in to the pot as possible. Can't have the conservatives in St. Mary's or Calvert determining who the welfare-doling Dem Senator will be, now can we?:sarcasm:

This is an oft-alluded to notion that, in so far as CD5 goes, simply isn't supported by reality. If anything were true, it would be the opposite - that CD5 was drawn such that it kept liberal lefties out of the pot. (I don't believe that's true either, but that notion would be more easily supported by an actual look into the party composition of PG and AA Counties, and the portions thereof that are included in various congressional districts.)

Congressional districts have to be about a certain size. The reality is that SM, Charles and Calvert Counties don't contain enough population, so parts of PG County and/or AA County have to be included with them. For PG County, the overall registered party affiliation composition is 80.0% D and 9.0% R, while for AA County it is 44.0% D and 36.5% R. Meanwhile, the portion of PG County in CD5 has a party composition of 71.0% D and 13.8% R, and the portion of AA County in CD5 has a party composition of 38.2% D and 42.4% R. In other words, CD5 has portions of those counties that are more Republican than the respective counties as wholes are. The heavily Democratic aggregate effect on CD5 from those counties is just a result of them being heavily Democratic to begin with (and portions of them needing to be in CD5). It would require extreme gerrymandering (or just ignoring that districts need to be about a certain size, thus giving some people more effective representation in Congress) for their effect on CD5 to not be so heavy in favor of Democrats.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Has Lollar disclosed all of his donors? Or is he like Karl Rove and his roving bandits who hold hands with the US Chamber of Commerce? Accusing Hoyer of "sharing" his money, isn't that like throwing boulders at glass houses?

:roflmao: You are :crazy:

And those small amounts are totals of the anonymous under $1000 donations made by individuals that are not required to be "fully disclosed".

What you need to look at is what corporations and Unions made donations to whose campaign and in what amounts...

Looking at this one you see Lollar received contributions from such groups as the US Navy and Iraq Vets for Congress while Hoyer received over $14K from Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited (DTTL), a UK private company limited

or how about this one
that shows Lollar recieved the majority of his donations from retired individuals and individuals who work in the business sector while Hoyer recieved the majority of his money from Lawyers and Unions...

Mr.Steed

I have to admit, it really pisses me off to know that there are people who will stand in the rain and cold for Lollar, who will post his signs on their lawns, who will come to the debates to hear HIM and not Hoyer and who enthusiastically support his candidacy .....

Compared to Steny, for whom NO ONE will stand in the cold and rain, NO ONE wants to hear him speak, NO ONE gives a rat's butt about his candidacy ....

And yet, there are enough schmucks who will vote for Steny because he has a "D" after his name.

I have yet to see so much enthusiasm for a House representative in my entire life in all the places I have lived, and it seems certain to fail to a jackass jerk who doesn't even bother to show up to events.

Lollar has as many votes as I can cast and get others to cast - but I doubt it will be enough.

Don't know what fantasy world you live in, but you must like make believe. I think Steny is pretty terrific as do a whole lot of others. Just so you know, Dems gave up seats for Lollar people at the debate Friday. But that didn't help the rudeness and talking from the Lollar supporters when Hoyer was speaking (so much for your "enthusiasm"). This also happened at the Town Hall meetings Hoyer hosted. But then what can you expect from 'Pub/TPs who seem to have a taste for violence and intimidation tactics?!

Contrary to what you idiots believe, there are millions who support health care reform, civil rights for all Americans, stronger environmental laws, keeping a Fed. minimum wage and social security, more help for those who want to go to college, and stronger regulations governing Wall Street and all the corrupt CEOs who outsource their work overseas (and especially those who use loop holes to not pay taxes).

BTW, as a US Congressman and Majority Leader, Hoyer cannot realistically show up for every "event". Could it be that he has some other pressing engagements like working to keep this country going, whether Congress is in or out of session?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

You have seen the final tallies? Three of the top five sources of campaign funds were unions (supporting Democrats of course) and the grand total for the Dems was something like 167 million more than the Repubs..

That was not the smartest red herring the Dems have ever thrown out there. Kinda backfired on the facts.

And yet, there are enough schmucks who will vote for Steny because he has a "D" after his name.

This is an important point that I think needs to be countered. Sure, there are plenty of people that would vote for Steny just because he has a "D" after his name (just as there are ..., nevermind, it doesn't even need to be said :lol:). However, we shouldn't be so dismissive of the reality that many, many people support Hoyer, and other Democrats, because he gives them, or tries to give them, what they want - at least more so than Republicans would.

Sometimes Democrats support Democratic politicians because they agree with them on policy goals (more so than their opponents, at least), just as Republicans sometimes support Republican politicians because they agree with them on policy goals. People have vastly different ideas about what government should and shouldn't be doing. Just as a great many people want Hoyer out, in part, because he helped make the health care reform happen, a great many people want to keep him because, well, he helped make the health care reform happen. Their conception of government is such that that is something the government ought to be doing, and he, to some extent, delivered for them. If anything, they feel he didn't deliver quite enough government involvment, but that wouldn't be a reason to vote for the opponent who is promising to deliver less or would seem intent to deliver less. Some people support more government spending to stimulate the economy. They support Hoyer-supported policies and conceptions of government.

Hoyer's political success hasn't just been the result of people voting for whatever person had a "D" behind their name - they've voted that way in large part because they favor his policies over those espoused by his opponents (including, presently, Mr. Lollar). Now, we might rightly criticize their different policy preferences and conceptions of good government, but we shouldn't pretend that the differences are as simple and meaningless as party identity. Those differences are sometimes very substantive. Some people want very different things out of their government, we ignore that reality at our own political peril.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What's wrong son? Wake up on the wrong side of your bed? Really, the welfare cr*p is soooo over used and tiring. As I like to say about the Dems. vs. the Pubs., it's we vs. me, and inclusion vs. exclusion. GO DEMOCRATS!

Here. Since its clear you are not very bright and certainly can't think for yourself, I'll make it real simple for you:

1. How many complete counties are in District 5?

2. How many partial counties are in District 5?

Get that right and then we'll move to something a little more difficult...demographics. Baby steps..baby steps:yay:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Contrary to what you idiots believe, there are millions who support health care reform, civil rights for all Americans, stronger environmental laws, keeping a Fed. minimum wage and social security, more help for those who want to go to college, and stronger regulations governing Wall Street and all the corrupt CEOs who outsource their work overseas (and especially those who use loop holes to not pay taxes).?

I agree wholeheartedly with all that! I count myself one of those millions, for sure.

bcp

In My Opinion
On a serious note,
Arent the democrats concerned with hoyers age? who will replace the old white guy when he dies before the next election?

I mean, Age is a major factor in considering who to vote for right?