• Raise it

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Lower it to 18

Votes: 51 61.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pete

Repete
...we should lower the drinking age to 18.

Every society has structure of some form. We say you can serve in the armed forces and vote and buy guns and be legally responsible for yourself, sign contracts, etc, be treated like an adult...at 18.

It is a cynicism inducing, intellectually absurd and logically indefensible argument to say a person can do all of those things, yet can't sidle up and order a beer.

I think it should be up to the states like it should be. The federal government extorting them on drinking ages and speed limits by threatening to withhold highway funds is more overstepping.

If Mississippi wants to make it 14 and it is cool with their voters then so be it.

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
:yay:
People might think twice when realizing that driving drunk will not only possibly get your license suspended/revoked, but you will also lose your precious alcohol-purchase permit. I am starting to wonder why this plan wasn't attempted at some previous point in America.

:shrug:

Gov probably scared to go that far after prohibition embarrassed them.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And...

I think it should be up to the states like it should be. The federal government extorting them on drinking ages and speed limits by threatening to withhold highway funds is more overstepping.

If Mississippi wants to make it 14 and it is cool with their voters then so be it.

...if nanny's in Maryland want to make it 50? Or not allow drinking in public houses because beer belches harm the health of bartenders?

There is the odd time that federal protection, were it actually based on the constitution, is nice to have.

I've always felt that the coercion features of so much federal funding just HAS to be unconstitutional. Has to be.

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
I guess my thoughts on this have come from listening to the police scanners quite a bit. With hearing so many DWI related accidents and incidents so many times each day I can't help but ponder this issue once in a while.

Making this earned/privilege based as opposed to rights based is something I have thought about countless times. I am sure it would have it's drawbacks. But at the same time if I earn something I do tend to appreciate it more.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Drawbacks?

I guess my thoughts on this have come from listening to the police scanners quite a bit. With hearing so many DWI related accidents and incidents so many times each day I can't help but ponder this issue once in a while.

Making this earned/privilege based as opposed to rights based is something I have thought about countless times. I am sure it would have it's drawbacks. But at the same time if I earn something I do tend to appreciate it more.

It's a perfect solution.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What...

IYO, should there be mandatory re-evaluations, and in what time period? Annual, biennial, you earned it until you eff up?

..is the need for re-evaluation? You get a state ID, which Maryland already does if you don't want or qualify for a drivers license. Or you use the DL.

You violate drinking or drug laws, get ticketed for it, it goes on your record. Next time you're carded, it gets swiped and, viola, violations show up. So sorry, no drinkee. You pay the outstanding fines. You take a drug/alcohol class. You're cleared to drink again.

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
IYO, should there be mandatory re-evaluations, and in what time period? Annual, biennial, you earned it until you eff up?

Same as Drivers License. It's kept until you prove you can't handle the responsibility.

What guideline's to go by would probably be too broad in scope to discuss here. But the commons sense ones like DWI's and such would be instant revocation.

And yes I think just like a Driver's license one should be able to try again after a revocation period. But only after more classroom and/or community service time invested. All this in addition to whatever penalties one would incur from the DWI.

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
Next time you're carded, it gets swiped and, viola, violations show up. So sorry, no drinkee.

They already track this to some degree. At least with your Driver's License. On the scanner I hear them state that someone has an Alcohol Restriction on there license.

It used to puzzle me because I kinda though we all had an Alcohol Restriction. But for these folks that have this on their License I 'think' it means that they have gotten into trouble before with the booze and driving. Now as opposed to being legal after drinking 1 or 2 beers like most folks should be, these folks are not allowed to have ANY alcohol level.

So the jump from tracking things like you are suggesting would not be all that hard. The system is already there. Just some software changes needed.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The larger...

They already track this to some degree. At least with your Driver's License. On the scanner I hear them state that someone has an Alcohol Restriction on there license.

It used to puzzle me because I kinda though we all had an Alcohol Restriction. But for these folks that have this on their License I 'think' it means that they have gotten into trouble before with the booze and driving. Now as opposed to being legal after drinking 1 or 2 beers like most folks should be, these folks are not allowed to have ANY alcohol level.

So the jump from tracking things like you are suggesting would not be all that hard. The system is already there. Just some software changes needed.

...issue is the liquor store or bar or restaurant. I'm waiting for someone to point that out so that I can pounce with my brilliant answer.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

...issue is the liquor store or bar or restaurant. I'm waiting for someone to point that out so that I can pounce with my brilliant answer.

So, genius, what would a liquor store or bar do with the person who has an alcohol restriction on themselves?
:pete:
You lookin for something like that, or what? :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
A ha!!!!!

So genius, what would a liquor store or bar do with the person who has an alcohol restriction on themselves?
You lookin for something like that, or what? :lol:

Crikey, mate! I got one!!!

Think credit card. How simple would it be to swipe my ID and, in seconds, like a cc, know that it is approved or rejected!?

Brilliant!!! More government intrusion into private business! I AM my brothers keeper! :killingme

J

jaybeeztoo

Skimmed the thread, but here is my thought. How about cars are installed with breath-a-lizers (sp? :lmao:) and no matter the age, if you drink, you can't start your car if you are impaired.

I believe that if our country sends 18 year olds to defend our freedom, they should be allowed to have a drink.

JMO

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Crikey, mate! I got one!!!

Think credit card. How simple would it be to swipe my ID and, in seconds, like a cc, know that it is approved or rejected!?

Brilliant!!! More government intrusion into private business! I AM my brothers keeper! :killingme

I'd thought the same thing...I just wanted you to get the glory for that one :lmao: