Driving

W

Wenchy

Has anybody here taught their child to drive a manual transmission vehicle?

I started today with my daughter.

I'm going to go have a brewski. :cheers:

Back on the road tomorrow. :lol:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
My dad bought me my first manual transmission in Yuma, Arizona, then sent me home over the mountains back to San Diego after a five minute lesson. I can't remember what I kept burning up in it, but it had something to do with the clutch. Luckily, I met Desertrat shortly after and got more driving tips and he fixed it a couple of times. Tell her NOT to ride the clutch. :lol:

devenny99

My daughter learned how to drive on a stick shift car. Now at 33 that is all she will drive. She has a stick now, but I think it will be hard to find another one in a few years.

W

Wenchy

My dad bought me my first manual transmission in Yuma, Arizona, then sent me home over the mountains back to San Diego after a five minute lesson. I can't remember what I kept burning up in it, but it had something to do with the clutch. Luckily, I met Desertrat shortly after and got more driving tips and he fixed it a couple of times. Tell her NOT to ride the clutch. :lol:

I have an appt. this week with a girlfriend who has a driveway that is actually a steep blacktopped mountain.

The clutch might burn out, but that's the key. You have to "feel" the car and "play" with the clutch to learn.

When we were out earlier she took a right off a busy road (people tailgating her) We ended up on the left hand side of the road, but she did park it nicely in the grass.

Manual and automatic (just like cars and motorcycles) are totally different.

Anybody else have any stories so I might be prepared for tomorrow?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Anybody else have any stories so I might be prepared for tomorrow?

If you can find a large empty parking lot or field, get her there and then blindfold her. It removes all distractions except the sound of the engine and the feel of the clutch. Just practice letting it out and getting the car in motion and then start over. Let her feel the engagement point

camily

Peace
When we lived in Illinois we had two cars. One stick, one automatic. When it came time to get a new car we got a stick. John stuck me in the old truck and said 'Drive it around town til you figure it out, then go to work." It was actually the best way to learn. I had tried it once before so I had an idea, but going alone through a little one horse town was the best way to learn.

Etred101

I have taught a number of folks to use clutches. Main thing is patience and practice. A lot of times they will forget to disengage the clutch when stopping. When starting they will dump the clutch rather than progressively let it out.
When shifting into first, I always teach folks to shift into second and then straight forward into first. That technique is a throwback to old British cars but it ensures that the car will be in first rather than third. It also gives a feel where second is.
Shift should also be two motions. Out of gear, then into the next gear. Most important from second to third. Out of second and shifter will center, then direct it to the right and forward.
Lastly but important. Do not grip the shifter. It should be palmed and moved open handed. The shifter will find its way into the correct gear if it is directed to the gear rather than forced.
Good Luck! :shocking:

PS: Riding the clutch can cause wear but my view is that a novice should use the clutch a lot until they get used to it. Then when they get experienced, they get used to puting it in neutral at a stop.

Last edited:

Sweet 16

^^8^^
My mom taught me to drive on a 5-speed but for some reason she forgot to tell me to engage the clutch in when stopping in gear. She finally remembered after I stalled it the third time!

I *tried* to teach two friends to drive a stick in college but they didn't quite get it. It definitely takes time to get the "feel" of it and all clutches are different. Be sure to pack plenty of patience and don't get too whipped up if the driver doesn't catch on quickly.

I plan on teaching my son on a stick because I believe, if you can drive manual, driving an automatic is a piece of cake.

W

Wenchy

My daughter learned how to drive on a stick shift car. Now at 33 that is all she will drive. She has a stick now, but I think it will be hard to find another one in a few years.

It will be hard to find one.

She's learning on a 20 year old car and will be getting a manual PT Cruiser in a year.

She has no choice but to learn when these gems are placed in her lap.

Luckily, she found the driving experience fun and we will continue.

W

Wenchy

If you can find a large empty parking lot or field, get her there and then blindfold her. It removes all distractions except the sound of the engine and the feel of the clutch. Just practice letting it out and getting the car in motion and then start over. Let her feel the engagement point

Yes, I have the big empty parking lots.

Blindfold? Should I also remove the sideview and rearview mirrors?

W

Wenchy

Thank You

When we lived in Illinois we had two cars. One stick, one automatic. When it came time to get a new car we got a stick. John stuck me in the old truck and said 'Drive it around town til you figure it out, then go to work." It was actually the best way to learn. I had tried it once before so I had an idea, but going alone through a little one horse town was the best way to learn.

If she gets a summer job here it will be driving in "a little one horse town"

Riding the clutch can cause wear but my view is that a novice should use the clutch a lot until they get used to it. Then when they get experienced, they get used to puting it in neutral at a stop.

She has the neutral part at stop. When she wants to go she pretty much "pops". For her first day out she did very well. I'm paying for the insurance and she can pay for a new clutch if the need arises.

My mom taught me to drive on a 5-speed but for some reason she forgot to tell me to engage the clutch in when stopping in gear. She finally remembered after I stalled it the third time!

I *tried* to teach two friends to drive a stick in college but they didn't quite get it. It definitely takes time to get the "feel" of it and all clutches are different. Be sure to pack plenty of patience and don't get too whipped up if the driver doesn't catch on quickly.

I plan on teaching my son on a stick because I believe, if you can drive manual, driving an automatic is a piece of cake.

I agree. If you can drive manual then you know how to drive.

We will see what tomorrow will bring.

My insurance company laughed about the whole thing and gave me a super low rate.

USAA! All the way!!!

My next new vehicle will be manual.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You have to "feel" the car and "play" with the clutch to learn.

That's exactly right. I taught my son to drive a stick, started when he was about 12 or so so he'd get used to it. The daughter never did learn, to my knowledge.

I remembered when I learned. Several people had tried to teach me, but it only came to when my ex bought me a new car (Subaru station wagon with manual), then promptly left on travel. I had to get the kid to the babysitters, then get to work. Managed to muscle my way through, and have been fine ever since.

It's like water skiing - once she gets the "feel" down, she'll never lose it. :yay:

morningbell

hmmmmmm
Has anybody here taught their child to drive a manual transmission vehicle?

I started today with my daughter.

I'm going to go have a brewski. :cheers:

Back on the road tomorrow. :lol:

My brother taught me, he needed a DD when I turned 18. The best way to understand is the clutch and gas are a see-saw effect, clutch comes up slowly and gas goes down just as slow. Go to neautral when breaking until she completely gets shifting up, then work on shifting down. My friend had a car that the light came on to let her know when to shift. My car now has little red marks when to shift on the speedometer (I don't use that).

My dad told me 1st to start, 2nd up to 20mph(I always go up to 15mph on 2nd), 3rd up to 30mph 4th up to 40 mph, 5th 50mph and on.

Good Luck!:buddies:

W

Wenchy

My brother taught me, he needed a DD when I turned 18. The best way to understand is the clutch and gas are a see-saw effect, clutch comes up slowly and gas goes down just as slow. Go to neautral when breaking until she completely gets shifting up, then work on shifting down. My friend had a car that the light came on to let her know when to shift. My car now has little red marks when to shift on the speedometer (I don't use that).

My dad told me 1st to start, 2nd up to 20mph(I always go up to 15mph on 2nd), 3rd up to 30mph 4th up to 40 mph, 5th 50mph and on.

We played in the parking lots for hours, but out on the real road she kind of freaked.

Good times. :buddies:

Story will continue tomorrow and she will have to post.

T

toppick08

Speed shift at red-line...........:yay:

:lol:

Don't yell, she may accidentally hit the gas instead of the break. Thank God I had quick reflexes to hit the break again! :lmao:

Let her take drive by herself in a empty parking lot a little. Having someone next to you makes you very nervous!!

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I grew up with dirt bikes, riding up spring rock river beds so when it was time for my dad to teach me to drive the 73 Bug it was a piece of cake. Just had to teach my foot what my hand already knew. That bug was fun to drive in the mountains of CT, it was the first year they put a round windshield in the bugs and it seemed like it had so much room in there. I had an eight track tape player with Pink Floyd the Dark side of the Moon playing and a crank type sun roof open whipping around the back mountain roads on my way to bonfire parties with friends. Those were the days:)

thurley42

HY;FR
I grew up with dirt bikes, riding up spring rock river beds so when it was time for my dad to teach me to drive the 73 Bug it was a piece of cake. Just had to teach my foot what my hand already knew. That bug was fun to drive in the mountains of CT, it was the first year they put a round windshield in the bugs and it seemed like it had so much room in there. I had an eight track tape player with Pink Floyd the Dark side of the Moon playing and a crank type sun roof open whipping around the back mountain roads on my way to bonfire parties with friends. Those were the days:)

:yeahthat: and we had a beater s-15 that i could drive around my dads farm...so when my mom put me in the truck to "teach" me how to drive a stick, i jumped in took off and she was like, "well that was easy"