• Drug testing should be voluntary?

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Violation of rights.

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mAlice

professional daydreamer
But being a parent you know there are an astronomical number of parents that don't do their job.

Not my kid, not my problem.

That being said, we should take every step we need to to ensure other kid's safety and well being.

That's what their parents are for.

If 10% of the students aren't being parented, are allowed to do drugs (knowingly or unknowingly) then steps should be taken to shield the other 90% from them. No matter we say or do, we will NEVER get 100% parenting from 100% of the parents.

I'd say sift through the disablity payroll, and take someworthless parasites off of that roll to pay for drug testing in schools.. but again, you get back to.. "We caught 14 year old Jimmy doing drugs.. now what?"

There is nothing you can say to make me agree with you.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
If you want your kids tested for drugs, go out and buy the kit yourself. Stop asking everyone else to be responsible for your brats.

terbear1225

I see a problem with requiring the kids to attend school, then requiring the test. You chose to join the Army. If you didn't want to be tested, you could have taken a different career path. Students do not have that option.

I don't like the idea of the nanny state saying "you will attend school, and you will get tested" with no other options.

I don't have any problem testing the teachers. If they don't want to get tested, they can work at WaWa.

But, there should not be any "one chance" to it. As long as they self refer and ask for help, they keep their job. Wait until you get caught, you get fired.

theoretically, the kid (and parent) could choose home schooling instead.

there have also been suggestions that testing be limited to those students who choose to participate in extracurricular activities i.e. sports, theater, clubs, etc.

thurley42

HY;FR
We were tested in athletics. BUt like earlier stated, we chose to be in them. I don't think everyone should, it's been said...a waste of Tax dollars. Anyone in a job where others depend on, or can be injured, or hurt in some way shape or form, should be tested. That includes teachers and people who come in contact with children when they are out of our immediate supervision.

It is the parents job to put the child in an enviornment that will allow them to learn, the school's to present the information and provide a safe enviornment for them to learn, and once again the parents job to ensure they are learning. The school has tons of children to account for, if one is refusing to learn or is a delinquent they can only do so much. The parents are the ones who should be busting heads....

terbear1225

We were tested in athletics. BUt like earlier stated, we chose to be in them. I don't think everyone should, it's been said...a waste of Tax dollars. Anyone in a job where others depend on, or can be injured, or hurt in some way shape or form, should be tested. That includes teachers and people who come in contact with children when they are out of our immediate supervision.

It is the parents job to put the child in an enviornment that will allow them to learn, the school's to present the information and provide a safe enviornment for them to learn, and once again the parents job to ensure they are learning. The school has tons of children to account for, if one is refusing to learn or is a delinquent they can only do so much. The parents are the ones who should be busting heads....

I would think that random drug testing wold be part of "providing a safe environment"

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
I would screen student athletes because it's an expected part of the athletic culture to be routinly screened for performance enhancing drugs. If they go on to NCAA sports and so on they will be required to do screens too.

Screen other kids? If they suspect a particular kid is coming to school under the influence, yes. If not why waste the time and resources?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I would think that random drug testing wold be part of "providing a safe environment"

How do drugs make it an unsafe environment? Because you sure as hell don't need to be on drugs to jack up some kid in the hall, attack a teacher with a knife you smuggled in, or open fire on the lunch room.

This_person

...comprehensive, random drug and alcohol testing from the top down.

Start with the president.

Then, both houses of congress.

Then, all governors, mayors and state reps.

Then ALL lawyers and judges.

Then, all the police.

Then, depending on the results, we'll look into teachers and parents.

Then, we can look at the kiddies and say "This is for your own good..."
We randomly search out for speeders on the road with radar, we randomly pull people over just to see if anyone's drinking.... I see absolutely no problem with this - it makes common sense. The money lost would be regained through productivity and lowered jail cell usage. Not to mention the lower crime rate overall, the lower delinquency rate.

Random testing of all above is just common sense, sarcasm in the post or not. Random testing of the kids and the teachers goes with it. If my car can be randomly hit with radar to test if I'm speeding with no probable cause, and my car can be stopped to test for my potential drinking with no probable cause, why can't my president, gov, legislator, judge, and cop all be tested, too?

There is no down side. I won't be stupid and closed minded enough to say you can't change my mind, but I can't see it now.

jetmonkey

...comprehensive, random drug and alcohol testing from the top down.

Start with the president.

Then, both houses of congress.

Then, all governors, mayors and state reps.

Then ALL lawyers and judges.

Then, all the police.

Then, depending on the results, we'll look into teachers and parents.

Then, we can look at the kiddies and say "This is for your own good..."
this

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I would screen student athletes because it's an expected part of the athletic culture to be routinly screened for performance enhancing drugs. If they go on to NCAA sports and so on they will be required to do screens too.

Parents who have kids in athletic (or other) activities should pay for the drug testing kits if they are required.

sockgirl77

Screen other kids? If they suspect a particular kid is coming to school under the influence, yes. If not why waste the time and resources?

Performance enhancing drugs are not a huge issue in HS. It's the damn pot and coke that's taking over.

I will agree with Elaine on this one. It's the parents' job to test their kid should the need arise.

thurley42

HY;FR

You are right, but I think you have to look at the big picture. Testing certain groups to participate in an extracirricular event or activity is one way to have someone do it voluntarily. By forcing an already troubled student (not wanting to do anything extra, drug user) you are backing them into a corner, and potentially causing more problems. People bullying people into taking thier tests, truancy increases, and various other problems. Then you have to pay more people to discipline and handle these problems. More truant officers, admin, etc. The money and resources to do all of this won't come from wishing it here...it will be more tax dollars.

Also, it can be construed as a violation of rights. TO people that aren't users to be subjected to the inconvience may develop problems in and of itself. Not to mention the social backlash of decision makers who will come into power looking to make up for the "injustices" they were faced with.

I just think it's ok for some situations, but forcing more gunpowder into TNT doesn't seem to make things safer for me.

thurley42

HY;FR
Performance enhancing drugs are not a huge issue in HS. It's the damn pot and coke that's taking over.

I will agree with Elaine on this one. It's the parents' job to test their kid should the need arise.

we weren't being tested for PED's. We were being tested for recreational drugs.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady

You'd be surprised. Pressure to perform well, get scholarships, etc. I know HS athletes have been screened for drugs for the past 20 years or so. Plus drug use in athletics is a safety issue too.

And kids are getting high on stuff we'd never have thought of. I had to show ID to buy cough medicine the other day.

thurley42

HY;FR
You'd be surprised. Pressure to perform well, get scholarships, etc. I know HS athletes have been screened for drugs for the past 20 years or so. Plus drug use in athletics is a safety issue too.

And kids are getting high on stuff we'd never have thought of. I had to show ID to buy cough medicine the other day.

A single steroid drug test costs 10K.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
A single steroid drug test costs 10K.

The high price of steroid testing is often cited as a reason steroids are not included in most scholastic random drug tests. But when Polk County decided to add steroids to its list of banned substances, it scaled back the rate of testing from 10 percent of athletes to eight percent to help offset the additional cost.

"The steroid test costs us $105 a person. The drug test costs us $15 a person," says Bridges. "We can't go around testing a whole bunch of people for steroids. We'd run out of money."

but thanks for playing..

thurley42

HY;FR
The high price of steroid testing is often cited as a reason steroids are not included in most scholastic random drug tests. But when Polk County decided to add steroids to its list of banned substances, it scaled back the rate of testing from 10 percent of athletes to eight percent to help offset the additional cost.

"The steroid test costs us $105 a person. The drug test costs us $15 a person," says Bridges. "We can't go around testing a whole bunch of people for steroids. We'd run out of money."

but thanks for playing..

I'll take the word I was given when i was a urinanalysis coordinator for the Navy. The official message traffic outline the price, procedure, and special circumstances for administering one.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'll take the word I was given when i was a urinanalysis coordinator for the Navy. The official message traffic outline the price, procedure, and special circumstances for administering one.

Frank Uryasz, President of the National Center for Drug-free Sport, says the costs of steroid testing may be exaggerated because quoted rates often reflect a sophisticated protocol needed only among professional and Olympic athletes looking to beat the test. His organization works with a Los Angeles lab charging $50 per sample, he says.

Check and Mate...

You were the pissboy in the Navy??