Eggs

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
What happened to @TPD, and what he had to go through, standing by himself in court to defend his, and others, rights, freedoms and liberties, is testament to what should have never been allowed to happen, and to never ever be allowed to happen again. He, stood his ground. And everyone in St. Mary's County should be thanking this man and spending money in his store, for standing up to these tyrants.
:yay:

PeoplesElbow

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
It's the fault of the chickens that won't wear masks or social distance.

maskedrooster.jpg

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

‘Cheaper Than You Think’: Washington Post Writer Pens Bizarre Piece About The Soaring Price Of Eggs

“Almost all food items have gotten much cheaper, relative to our incomes, than they were a century ago. But some food prices fell faster than others, and chicken and eggs were among those that saw the greatest improvements, thanks to a combination of agricultural innovations,” she wrote.

Moving chickens indoors to protect them from predators and giving them artificial light to extend the laying season have led to greater production.

Finally, she makes this point: “But the benefits of this revolution have also been enormous. In 1905, an average male factory worker older than 16 took home $11.16 a week, enough to buy about 41 cartons of eggs. Today, the median man earns $1,176 a week, enough to buy more than 275 cartons of eggs, even at today’s elevated prices.”

She concludes: “If you can’t help cringing when you see the cashier ring up eggs that cost twice as much as they did a year ago, it might help to remember that however poor you feel, your ancestors would have taken one look at your grocery cart and declared you rich beyond their dreams,” she wrote.

[clip]

Farm Action, a farmer advocacy group, has a whole different theory for the price hike. The group says the “real culprit” behind sky-high prices is a “collusive scheme” among top U.S. egg producers to fix prices to gouge consumers.

In a letter to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) last month, Farm Action said the alleged collusion has helped egg producers to “extract egregious profits reaching as high as 40%.”

And the letter said avian flu is not to blame.

“Examining publicly-available financial data from the egg industry, the letter determines that the supply disruption caused by the avian flu outbreak had an ‘apparently mild impact on the industry,’” the group said in a press release.

Plus, the group said egg producers like Cal-Maine are making money hand over fist.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Finally, she makes this point: “But the benefits of this revolution have also been enormous. In 1905, an average male factory worker older than 16 took home $11.16 a week, enough to buy about 41 cartons of eggs. Today, the median man earns $1,176 a week, enough to buy more than 275 cartons of eggs, even at today’s elevated prices.”

She concludes: “If you can’t help cringing when you see the cashier ring up eggs that cost twice as much as they did a year ago, it might help to remember that however poor you feel, your ancestors would have taken one look at your grocery cart and declared you rich beyond their dreams,” she wrote.

Forgetting completely that people have to spend their income on things other than eggs. :lol:

I feel like all this egg hysteria and over-reporting is just a distraction. I mean, it's eggs. It's not diabetes medication, or chemo - it's eggs. If they're too expensive, don't buy them. You're not going to die if you can't have an egg. The price of everything is going up hard, yet we're freaking out almost solely over...eggs.

🤔

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The price of everything is going up hard, yet we're freaking out almost solely over...eggs.

Eggs are an easy item to explain inflation ... but perhaps because of the Bird Flu makes the discussion more relevant

more people consume eggs vs other items, cereal, Beef, Chicken Wings

Clem72

In 1905, an average male factory worker older than 16 took home $11.16 a week, enough to buy about 41 cartons of eggs. Today, the median man earns $1,176 a week, enough to buy more than 275 cartons of eggs, even at today’s elevated prices.”
How many streaming services would $11.16 a week pay for in 1905? Probably had to make some cuts like Paramount Plus despite the great coverage of european soccer.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I have had chickens since 2007 and the money I get for eggs doesn't even cover the cost of feed for them. MY estimate is that I'd have to charge $9 a dz to cover the food expenses. There is a LOT of labor that goes into caring for chickens also which has NOT been added in.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
How many streaming services would $11.16 a week pay for in 1905? Probably had to make some cuts like Paramount Plus despite the great coverage of european soccer.
?
How'd you get my name on that quote? Gurps posted that.

SamSpade

Eggs are like gasoline - hike THEIR cost, and other things go up as well.

But they used to be, in our household, the best source of protein when other prices were hard to maintain - you could make cheap friend rice when the money supply was low - and add eggs for nutrition. Right now, they're beginning to beat out some meat alternatives.

And they're the tip of the iceberg or whatever metaphor you want. Still not quite getting used to the huge spike in other staples we used to get, like bread or lettuce or pasta or whatever.

Clem72

I don't eat a lot of eggs (at least not directly) but I would love to have a few chickens on my property to keep the ticks at bay. Too bad it's not allowed where i'm at.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

I have had chickens since 2007 and the money I get for eggs doesn't even cover the cost of feed for them. MY estimate is that I'd have to charge $9 a dz to cover the food expenses. There is a LOT of labor that goes into caring for chickens also which has NOT been added in.

Might want to reformulate that business plan of yours.

HemiHauler

Eggs are a component in many other foods. Increased cost of eggs raises the cost of almost any baked goods such as bread.

I paint modern and sophisticated nude portraits in egg tempera and the egg yolks I use as binders with pigments have quadrupled in price.