Election 2024 - Kamala - Polling

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
📈📈 Last week, the phrase “Democrats panic” surged into corporate media headlines, despite the polling showing Harris up a couple points at that time. But yesterday, Democrat panic reached even higher levels of awkwardness when the New York Times published liberal stalwart Ezra Klein’s latest op-ed with this astonishing title:

image 6.png

Ignore the polls? One detects a marked lack of confidence on the Democrat side. But why? What’s really going on? The answer might be found in less partisan foreign headlines, like yesterday’s from Al Jazeera:

image 7.png

If the polls show your candidate losing, then the polls don’t mean anything. Democrats’ current problem seems to be a Harris slide.

Last week, the polls —whatever they’re worth— showed Harris up by several points. But those small leads have flatlined and are now non-detectable. The problem is the trend. It keeps going the wrong way. That’s why previously poll-happy pundits like Klein are getting ahead of Harris’s inglorious slipping, and are warning Democrat readers to ignore the polls.

But of course, ignoring is not a strategy.

Just this morning, USA Today ran a related story headlined, “Donald Trump takes betting lead over Kamala Harris for first time since debate.” I’ve reported before on Trump’s lead on the betting site Polymarket, but USA Today aggregates several such sites, and finds Trump now ahead everywhere.

image 8.png

The implied odds reflected in that Bet 365 chart above favor Trump (58%) by ten points over Kamala (47.6%). Note those are odds of winning, not the proportion of voters. It’s easy to get confused. The betting sites work differently than polls.

That said, I prefer the clarity and cleanness of the betting sites over the murky black box of the polls. Betting sites don’t make statistical “adjustments,” and everyone’s incentives are fully disclosed. This week will answer the biggest question, the question that is on everyone’s mind, the question that is panicking Democrats like Ezra Klein: is the Kamala slide a continuing trend, or a reversible blip?

My bet is on the trend. We’re halfway through the month; they badly need another October surprise.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
1729205992130.png