Electric Car News

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Could have been any number of issues. Maybe there was a Level 2 charger, but like so many right now, not working, so they had to opt for Level 1. Personally, my vote is for poor planning.

phreddyp

Could be the vehicle, do you know what kind it was? A Leaf, for instance, is a pretty poor example unless your only use is under say 30 miles a day and never take a road trip..

But without more data, we dont know, and cant know. Could be idiot driver, could be an EV poorly suited for that task.
Don't need to, EV's have at least 10 years before they will be worth owning and by then road taxes will be applied to them making them even more unaffordable!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Don't need to, EV's have at least 10 years before they will be worth owning and by then road taxes will be applied to them making them even more unaffordable!

Whatever form it takes... It's gonna be a fun meltdown when it happens. :snacks:

glhs837

Power with Control
Yet millions find them worth owning today. And road taxes should be applied. Just not sure what the best way is.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Very interesting, but a bit long, video on battery swap in Norway. At the end he summarizes and makes a real valid point to this process; if you have a "battery subscription", you no longer own the battery, you don't care how you use or charge it, you don't worry about cost of replacement. It's like a propane bottle exchange. Let the propane dealer worry about the health of the bottle, let the battery swap business worry about the health of a battery pac. Not sure why they say that American isn't ripe for this, other than there is no standard as of now for the battery dimensions or mounting, so it's very model specific. Anyway, I think it's a great idea.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Very interesting, but a bit long, video on battery swap in Norway. At the end he summarizes and makes a real valid point to this process; if you have a "battery subscription", you no longer own the battery, you don't care how you use or charge it, you don't worry about cost of replacement. It's like a propane bottle exchange. Let the propane dealer worry about the health of the bottle, let the battery swap business worry about the health of a battery pac. Not sure why they say that American isn't ripe for this, other than there is no standard as of now for the battery dimensions or mounting, so it's very model specific. Anyway, I think it's a great idea.

Of course Norway has the highest per-capita ownership of EVs, so not surprised that innovative ideas relating to operations and maintenance are coming from there.

glhs837

Power with Control

Norways pretty small, but when you think about scaling for the US, how many packs do you need on the backside? Since you could never in a million years mandate pack standardization, it simply wont work here. The logisitcs of managing inventory for packs would be insane.
Of course Norway has the highest per-capita ownership of EVs, so not surprised that innovative ideas relating to operations and maintenance are coming from there.

Well, its a Chinese company with 900 stations in China already, but I do get your point. Passed an older Model S this afternoon here, he didn't look concerned about driving one in Norway in the winter. :)

stgislander

PREMO Member
You missed the salient point. Norway has always always had unlimited "free" electricity from their hydro-power. . Amazing what a difference that makes, huh?
Not really"free" according to our friend over there. Sounds like the govt taxes the hell out of it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not really"free" according to our friend over there. Sounds like the govt taxes the hell out of it.

i meant "free" as in unlimited natural resource. The Norwegian gummint makes sure that nothing is "free"" when it comes to taxes...with one glaring exception: EVs are not subjected to the monstrous import tax that ICE vehicles are.

glhs837

Power with Control
You missed the salient point. Norway has always always had unlimited "free" electricity from their hydro-power. . Amazing what a difference that makes, huh?
The point seemed to be about the innovation, but the battery swap innovation under discussion wasn't a Norse innovation.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The point seemed to be about the innovation, but the battery swap innovation under discussion wasn't a Norse innovation.
Really doesn't matter who pioneered it or innovated it, they've actually implemented it, even if it is on a small scale. Good innovations have a way of propagating. And your argument about scalability only applies to today, with current technology, with current battery tech. Tomorrow it may be possible, and I like to think things are possible. I've made a career out of doing what others told me wasn't possible.

glhs837

Power with Control
Really doesn't matter who pioneered it or innovated it, they've actually implemented it, even if it is on a small scale. Good innovations have a way of propagating. And your argument about scalability only applies to today, with current technology, with current battery tech. Tomorrow it may be possible, and I like to think things are possible. I've made a career out of doing what others told me wasn't possible.

I mean the technology of batteries doesn't really matter for swapping, does it? You still need extra stock to keep in the charging locations not doing anything but waiting or someone to come get them. Think of the prices you pay for taking a rental car to the airport vs taking one back home away from the airport. Now, scale the reasons for that. Try and model and manage battery inventory flow for 10-15 million cars.

Now, as charging tech improves, and it will, the minuscule time savings with swap just are not worth the logistic nightmare, IMO. I really think Nios only real reason for championing swapping is to keep you in ecosystem and spending with them.

glhs837

Power with Control
Point being...the country with most per capita EV useage is gonna innovate ...and first.
Gotta say, I was quite impressed with the drivers during my slushy snowing 30 minute two lane road commute this mornings. Was slowed down below the 80km limit for only about three minutes before the slowbees pulled into a side lot and let everyone else crank it back up to 90 or so.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Tesla ordered to upgrade self-driving computer for free due to ‘false advertising’

Tesla has claimed that all its vehicles produced since 2016 have “all the needed hardware” to become self-driving with future software updates.

The automaker has yet to deliver on that promise, and the company actually had to upgrade the hardware in vehicles produced since 2016. Most notably, Tesla had to upgrade the onboard computer on which it runs its self-driving software. The new computer is known as Hardware 3.0 or the FSD computer.

To make good on its 2016 promise that vehicles produced going forward would have “all the needed hardware” to become self-driving, Tesla offered a free computer retrofit to owners who ordered the Full Self-Driving package.

The fact that Tesla was doing the retrofit for free squashed people’s concerns about needing to update hardware to access self-driving.